Endo Tatsuya (SPY X FAMILY mangaka) interview for BRODY Aprill 2024 edition

 


※ The interview was conducted through e-mail correspondence


Q First, could you please tell us what made you start supporting Sakurazaka46?


Endo: Ever since they debuted as Keyakizaka46-san with “Silent Majority”, I’d already thought they had cool songs, and I’ve been following their songs since. At that time I’d just started getting into Nogizaka46 so I didn’t really understand much about idols yet. I started getting interested in Sakurazaka’s members as well from a little after the first 2nd generation members joined the group. I started watching “Keyaki tte, Kakenai? [now Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?”” and “Hiragana Oshi [now Hinatazaka de Aimashou]” after “Nogizaka Kojichuu”.


I’d like to apologise for any inconveniences I might cause with my answers, since I’m still new to things like this, but I’d like to answer your questions in my own way, so I’d appreciate it if you’d understand.


Q Please tell us the Sakurazaka46 songs that left an impression on you.


Endo: There’s so many songs I like, it’s difficult for me to choose… I like the high tempo of “BAN” and “Masatsukeisuu”, and I think “Kimi to Boku no Sentakumono” is a cute song. “Futari Sezon” was my favorite song from their Keyakizaka era, and I also really like their songs with melancholic yet beautiful melodies like “Mugon no Uchuu” and “Sakurazuki”.

If I had to say what my favourite three are… “Saishuu no Chikatetsu ni Notte”, “Start over!”, and “Omotta Yori mo Sabishikunai”, for its nostalgia factor. “Chikatetsu”’s lyrics are my favourite. More than just the music, I also like the sense of “a bit of positivity amidst the feeling of resignation” that the song has. When I listen to this song, I remember the 10-plus years I spent floundering, unsure of what I wanted to do or what I was doing (in my past serialization and also when I was working as an assistant), and although I’m doing much better now than before, I sometimes still feel like I’m wandering through a dark tunnel, so this song really hits home. I sometimes hum this song in the middle of the night while drawing a manuscript and cry a little (lol). This song has that strange feeling of having both a sense of vague discomfort with your current situation as well as a sense of comfort that makes you think, “And that’s okay”.

I simply like “Start over” because it’s cool. The aggressive lyrics, the heavy sounds, the intense performance, they’re all so cool.

I fell in love with “OmoSabi” after seeing it in concert. I’ll talk about it a bit later in the question about live performances.


Q I’d like to ask if there are any Sakurazaka46 lyrics that have left an impression on you.


Endo: I really love every single part of the lyrics of “Chikatetsu”. Everything about it touches me.

As for “Start over!”, lyrics like, “So late in the night, at a convenience store // microwaving a bento; what miracle are you waiting for?”, “Once things simmer down, your pride is next to nothing”, or “But after all, we're birds of a feather” have a sharpness that makes you want to cover your ears and say “Noo, stop it!”. I also love its cool phrases like, “The important thing is where to start over” and “You're just like my past // I will be your future”.

As for “Mugon no Uchuu”, I like the lyrics like “In the universe of my expressions // there’s a shining star // thinking of you”. Of course the words themselves are important, but I also think that there's unspoken communication that’s also important. In my manga, I often use panels that show only the character’s expression without words (especially for Loid, the main character), and I do this when whatever lines I put in don’t feel right or when I think “If I make them say it, their emotions will come off as cheap”. This helps the readers pick up on their emotions better. Some people read too much into it or misunderstand it, but I think it’s fine as long as it gets through to those who get it. Of course, there are many times when my drawings aren’t up to par and the message isn’t conveyed well…

Speaking of which, the thing I notice most from the members (unconsciously) is their everyday expressions. The look on their face when they are listening to someone talk, when they laugh about something, when they get serious, when they cry, etc. It’s the accumulation of those little expressions that gradually makes me like them.


Q I’d like to ask if, as a manga artist, there are any points or stories where Sakurazaka46’s songs or activities have influenced your own work.


Endo: Rather than influence, it makes me happy to find out how one of the members is reading my work; it’s good motivation. I look at the comments section of my manga and egosurf a lot, and while of course seeing the reactions of readers makes me very happy and helps me create, there’s a different kind of happiness to knowing that the idols that I know and like are also reading my work. I was really, really happy when the members cosplayed the characters, or when “SPY x FAMILY” was mentioned on “Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?”.

Besides that, I also think, “These girls I like are working so hard and sincerely, I’ll need to do my best too”.

Also, more recently, when I get tired working on a manuscript, I force my spirits up by listening to “Start over!” (lol).


Q Do you ever listen to Sakurazaka46 songs while you’re drawing manga? I’d also like to know in what situations you listen to Sakurazaka46 songs.


Endo: I listen to it fairly often while I’m drawing. There are many manga artists who write their manuscript while watching movies or dramas, but I can’t really do that… I basically play music all the time, and I play “Playlist Sakamichi (All Songs)” about 60% of the time. When I’m feeling mentally weak, music can be a bit hard to listen to, so sometimes I play the sound of rain or rivers, but even at those times I always put in songs from Sakamichi and it calms me down. I’ve also set several Sakurazaka songs as my alarm clock, for example Sugai-san’s “Sono Hi Made”. I like Yuuka’s voice, and it starts with vocals right off the bat so it shocks me awake (lol).


Q Please tell us if there is something or a scene that left an impression on you regarding their MVs.


Endo: I like the worldview of “Omotta Yori mo Sabishikunai”. It’s like a deserted utopia. It reminded me a little of “Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer [1984]” (Sorry if this is too old a reference…). Watching the members dancing happily is soothing, and I like how cute their denim outfits are.

Speaking of worldview, there’s also “Cool”. The song is cool, and I also like how cool and cute Ozono Rei-chan is in it.

I also like “Naze Koi wo Shite Konakattan darou?” with its beautiful direction, angles, and lighting. I also like the look on Koike Minami-san’s face right before they start spinning the threads.

Speaking of a more recent release, Kobayashi Yui-san’s “Kimi ga Sayonara Ietatte” had such a strong message and was also cool, wasn’t it?


Q You mentioned in the past that there are characters in “SPYxFAMILY” that were inspired by Ozono Rei-san and Sugai Yuuka-san, but are there any other parts that are related to Sakurazaka46? Or even if not directly related, were drawn with Sakurazaka46 in mind, or other parts where the group influenced the work?




Endo: Unfortunately, I’ve only been able to draw the two of them so far… I can only include them at a time and place when it won’t become a distraction to the flow of the story, and I can only draw them when I get the time to… so I haven’t been able to put that kind of thing in recently… What a shame… Sugai-san mentioned it a bit in her radio, but my work has always had a “strong, dignified woman” as its core (although I don’t consciously draw them). It’s not that I’ve been influenced by them, but I wonder if there are some parts where that kind of a female image overlaps with the members of Sakurazaka46?


Q I’d like to know if there is anyone who made an impression on you or particularly caught your eye as you watch Sakurazaka46’s concerts, performances in MV, or their activities in TV shows.


Endo: In concerts and MV, Kobayashi Yui-san’s stoic and refined expressiveness is cool, Yamasaki Ten-chan’s expressiveness is always shocking, and Fujiyoshi Karin-chan’s expressiveness where it seems like she’s been possessed is thrilling, but personally, Koike Minami-san is the one who catches my eye. The gap between her usual sweet demeanor and how cool she is during performances is wonderful, and that including her visuals as well feels artistic.

In the shows, my favourite is, after all, my oshimen Matsuda Rina-san. Her cute smile is refreshing, and I respect her attitude toward work. I also like how she puts all of her effort into everything that she does. I also really like Matsuri-chan’s singing voice.

I like girls who smile a lot, like Inori-chan [Inoue Rina], Rei-chan, Hono-chan [Tamura Hono], and Run-chan [Morita Hikaru]. In any case, I think that everyone in Sakurazaka is really unique, cute, and wonderful. The mysterious duo of Masumoto [Kira]-san and Onuma [Akiho]-san were scary and strange at first, but the longer I watched them the more adorable they became.


Q I saw the illustration you posted on social media for Matsuda Rina-san’s birthday. I’d like to ask you about the charms of Matsuda-san whom you support, and if there are any words or actions of Matsuda-san that have made an impression on you after seeing her in concerts or TV shows.


source

Endo: As I said earlier, I guess it’s her personality. It might be rude to say this as if I know everything even though this is all just my impression of her, but I personally find her yin and yang-like balance to be very comfortable. I think that someone’s kindness and cheerfulness are only deepened when they are backed up by one’s own weaknesses and bitter experiences, so I think it’s wonderful to see she has such a warm and generous heart. On TV shows, it’s very cute how she sometimes does something kinda lame. I also love the pictures with dorky poses (compliment) that she sends in the mobame app [paid subscription mail service]. She once posted a picture of her cosplaying as Anya for a meet & greet on her blog, and it was so cute how she wrote, “I became a bit embarrassed and the look on my face was quite a sight” when she encountered a junior member. Truly, thank you very much for taking on the decision to cosplay Anya despite your embarrassment (?).

Her final MC at the end of 3rd Anniversary Live was also really wonderful. I could see her consideration for those around her from her choice of words, and her thoughtfulness in being able to see themselves in an objective manner, and I once again felt that she is a wonderful captain. I got a little teary-eyed listening to it.

Also, I really like Matsuri-chan’s singing voice. During concerts when “Blue Moon Kiss” is performed, everyone goes “Woooo~!!!” when Morita Hikaru-san says the line “Ah, we kissed”, no? But personally, whenever Matsuri-chan’s solo line at the beginning of the 2nd verse comes in, I also go “Woooo~!!!” in my head every time (lol).




Q Sugai Yuuka-san graduated at Tokyo Dome performance in 2022, and Matsuda-san became the new captain. You uploaded an illustration to social media, but I’d like to know your thoughts about it.


source


Endo: Sugai-san’s graduation ceremony was really wonderful, wasn’t it? During the “Fukyouwaon” performance in the encore, I got goosebumps and my tears overflowed each of the three times “Boku wa yada!” were shouted. It was seriously so cool. The Ganbariki Arch was really wonderful as well. Though I laughed a little at it, like, “What the heck is that?” (lol). Also, the way Sugai-san’s hair was flying around because of static electricity (?) and Ten-chan who fixed it was cute too (lol).

In her speech, she said, “Since we became Sakurazaka, the members and I have been smiling more”, and I felt that even when watching from the sidelines. From my perspective, this was especially more notable for Sugai-san. I saw her smiling even more on TV [shows] and during their performances, but in the moment when I thought “Yuuka is so cute, I’m glad she seems to be having fun”, I learned of her graduation announcement, and I remember how sad I was. At the same time, I also thought that her being in a position that is active at the forefront of an idol group, as well as being its captain, must have been more difficult than I could have imagined. In my case, I have the medium of “manga” as a buffer, but even so, my mentality is often chipped away by the voices around me. So I really have the deepest respect for these girls who are competing with nothing but their own bodies. As a side note, in the episode of “Rekomen! [A radio show]” that Sugai-san appeared in before graduating, there was a scene where a message is played from seiyuu Umeka Shoji-san**, who also appeared in SPY x Family. I was listening to it while wandering around the city at night, and I remember how I walked around just crying my eyes out because the message was so wonderful.


**T/N: Her role is Camilla. She’s been working as the narrator for Sakurazaka46’s group show ever since their start as Keyakizaka46 in 2015.


Q Could you tell me your thoughts when Habu Mizuho-san announced her graduation?


source


Endo: My earliest memory from when I first started properly watching “KeyaKake [Keyaki tte, Kakenai?]” was the episode with “Habu-san”. I remember being pretty shocked and thinking, “Who the heck is this crazy person…!”. But she retired that character pretty soon after, though (lol). Now that I think about it, I think it was Habu-chan who got me interested in the members. Bony white, bony white**

Just like Sugai-san and everyone else, the graduation of a 1st generation member does feel impactful. I like how fun “Time Machine de Yeah!” is at concerts, but it makes me a bit sad to think that there will be fewer opportunities to perform it again in the future.


**T/N note: A reference to a quote from Habu during an episode of Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?


Episode 32


Q I imagine that you receive a variety of reactions from Sakurazaka46 members and fans when you draw illustrations, but what do you think of their responses?


Endo: Just getting responses from members makes me super happy. Every time I get one, it makes me go like, “Uwahh… Uwahhh…”. I’m very grateful for it. Ah, Takemoto [Yui]-san made an illustration request to me in “Rekomen!”, but I didn’t have the time to draw it… I’m really sorry… I wanted to make her dream of “having a university life surrounded by lots of friends” come true, at least in picture form. I'm so sorry. I’m really happy that I always get a lot of replies and quote replies from Buddies on my illustrations. I don’t have many friends, so that made me realise the happiness of sharing something that I and others like. I received a surprising number of responses on the illustration that I drew for when Koike Minami-san announced her hiatus. All of them were kind comments expressing concern for Miichan. The relationship between members and Buddies is so wonderful and warm, it makes me happy and feel like my heart has been lightened. Miichan herself sent a picture of her coplaying Anya in return. I myself have been feeling physically and mentally exhausted since this summer, so I felt very saved. Like all the fans, I’m also patiently waiting for the day Miichan returns.


source



Q Last year, Sakurazaka46 held various concerts such as “3rd TOUR 2023” and “3rd ANNIVERSARY LIVE”. I’d like to ask Endo-san if there were any heart-pounding or unforgettable moments from the Sakurazaka46 concerts that you’ve seen so far.

 

Endo: The 3rd Anniversary Live from last year was very fun. I was there for the 2nd day, but the venue was very cold. During “Drone Senkai-chuu”, Tamura Hono-chan hyped up the crowd with, “Hey everyone in the stadium! The cold hasn’t gotten to anyone, right?” (Her polite way of speaking is cute). Even though I internally felt like “Sorry, I’m actually feeling really cold right now…”, when I waved my towel around, it really warmed me up and I started getting really into the song. I was even thinking that maybe we should just sing this song the whole time (lol). “Start over!”, which I was looking forward to was also great, but the long hopping time was quite a torture for an old man in his 40s… “BAN”, which started with the 3rd generation members, was also fiery, and the MC by Matsuri-chan – which I mentioned earlier – and Inori-chan was also very wonderful. Another event that I still can’t forget is “W-KEYAKI FES.2021 (DAY 3)”. It was my first time seeing Sakamichi-san’s concert in-person, so maybe that’s why. I mentioned it in the question about favourite songs, but the song that stuck in my memory the most from that concert was “Omotta Yori mo Sabishikunai”. This venue was hot, but as the sun started to set and it got darker, the cool mountain air came down and it felt good on my body that was still wet from getting shot with water. The members were dancing happily while the water fountain was splashing. All of that came together, and I remember being moved and thinking, “What is this dream-like world…!”. I still remember that summer when I heard the interlude of “OmoSabi”. “Kimi to Boku to Sentakumono” is pretty similar to that. It was a concert that I had so much fun during that it’s incredibly hard for myself to believe.

I imagine it must be very tough for the members and staff, but outdoor concerts, even with the heat and cold, are memorable and fun. Also, after Keya Fes was over, I was reading some of the members’ blogs, and I remember how Miichan’s blog really made an impression on me. As someone involved in the creation of things, I really sympathised with her and I thought “I want to be someone like this too”, so I also feel respect for her. I think she is a wonderful person who is very sincere about creativity. I once posted an illustration of Miichan on social media of when she appeared on a music show. The song that was performed was the memorable “OmoSabi”, and Miichan herself was so cute that I got really excited like “Waahhh~” and drew it.


source


Q They appeared on Kouhaku Uta Gassen again after two years. If you watched it, I’d love your thoughts about it.


Endo: I watched it, but I was so busy with work that I don’t remember much about it…? I think I was doing some light hopping in my room?

They weren’t able to participate in the year before that, and I had seen Matsuri-chan express her disappointment as a captain, so I was sincerely happy when they were selected to participate.


Q Are there any people you know or involved at work with that you could discuss your impressions with after a concert or when a new song is released? If so, I’d love to hear what you talk about.


Endo: I usually go to watch concerts with a staff member, so I talk almost exclusively with that person. If you ask what it is like… I think it’s probably not that different from other Buddies (lol). After the 3rd Anniversary Live, I went on a pilgrimage with them to the place near Kaihin-Makuhari Station where they filmed the “Futari Sezon” MV.

Maybe posting (tweeting) illustrations after a concert is one aspect of that kind of exchange. I want to share the fun I had with Buddies on social media.


Q You posted an illustration regarding the “Shinsekai” exhibition on social media, so I’d like to ask you about your impressions of the exhibition and if you have any thoughts about the path Sakurazaka46 has walked on through until now.


source

Endo: I think the most exciting thing was seeing the uniforms and costumes that you don’t get to see up-close. It was also fun to look at the drawings of the designs. I also thought that the storyboard for MVs are different from the ones I usually check for anime. Seeing how much detailed thought went into the visuals and footage made me realise just how haphazardly I draw my manga (lol).

At the end of the exhibit, I was completely taken with how I couldn’t read TAKAHIRO-sensei’s handwriting in his notes. But I could feel his passion.


Q In a past interview, you said that you were attracted to Nogizaka46 because of their kindness, but what do you think draws you to Sakurazaka46?


Endo: How should I say it, it’s difficult to put it into a single word… I think that all Sakamichi groups have a common wonderful point in their “individuals”, but speaking specifically about Sakurazaka… I think that their songs tend to have slightly bitter lyrics and themes. At first glance, that darkness may seem like an edgy charm that will “sting some people”, but I’m sure that those are emotions that everyone has, but ones that people don’t like to face directly. I personally like how they shine a spotlight on that “dark” (not necessarily in a negative sense) side. I touched on this a little in the question about Matsuri-chan, but I find that kind of “balanced positivity between yin and yang” to be quite pleasant. It just feels right.


As for members as a whole, this may be a cliche, but I guess it’s the high level of their dance performances. Also, this is just my personal opinion, but maybe because Sakurazaka changed their name and became a new group while the 2nd generation members were in the group, I don’t feel there’s much of a boundary between the first and second generations, but in a good way. I really like their attitude of “working hard together as one to create something”. Like a colony. Maybe I feel that way because of the performance structure and the lack of songs for each generation.


But, after all, I think it’s the “individuals” I’m attracted to. It’s hard to put into words, though. I think that each group has its own character, but I don’t think that it’s right to lump everyone together as “these kinds of individuals” just based on group. I think that the character of Sakurazaka comes from the accumulation of each person’s emotions and actions.


It might be rude to compare it to 2D, but I think that manga that have attractive “characters (individuals)” will continue on for a long time. Of course, it depends on the genre, and in terms of entertainment, flashy developments and novel settings might be necessary, but I would like my own works to be “an accumulation of individuals” (I’m just not good at making developments and settings).


I’m sorry that my opinion turned out to be a bit vague…


Q I’d like to know if there is something that you are looking for in not just Sakurazaka46, but idols in general.


Endo: Well, I don’t have any particular interest or knowledge about idols in general… (lol).

This isn’t limited to idols, but I think that any job that makes people smile is really wonderful, so I hope that we can live in a world where people like that can continue their activities without any strain and continue to smile themselves. I think it would be ideal if such a system could be created not only by staff and fans, but also by the entire media, including social media.

I’m really wishing “I hope you all may be happy…!” for the Sakamichi-chan girls.


Q Last year, 3rd generation members joined Sakurazaka46 and a senbatsu system (T/N: essentially management picks which members feature in each main title song) was started. I’d like to know what you think about the new Sakurazaka46 and if there are any expectations for the future of Sakurazaka46.


Endo: The 3rd generation members not only have sharp performance skills, but their expressions are already so professional as well. I’m both amazed and shocked at how they’ve only been with the group for a short time. I am looking forward to the group’s future as well.

As for expectations… more like, I’d be satisfied if I could see the members and staff working happily and freely, trying new things from a creative perspective like “let’s try this and that”. But if I could make a wish, then I’d be happy if they could hold an outdoor concert in summer, without stretching out themselves… Ah, and also, I’m always looking forward to Matsuri-chan’s title song center and solo song.


---

Raw: kiryu

Translator: tmi

QC: koac





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

A Dreaming Girl (Tamura Hono interview with B.L.T graph vol 101 May 2024 edition)