A summer where they almost gave up, can she become the savior of Keyakizaka46? (BRODY February 2018, Kobayashi Yui)


I continue to misunderstand Kobayashi Yui. I thought that she was a cold person, a loner.


However, watching her this summer, i realized that she was never such a person.
If she were an outsider of the group, what would she think of their performance that day? If she were just a bystander, what will she think of the conflict within the group that day? While thinking so, i realized that the fighting spirit inside of her was not just for herself, but also for those who burn for Keyakizaka46.


And the fact that it’s not only a “Everything is for the group” feeling that exists inside of her, it’s also a part of her charm. While having that feeling, she never stops raising herself to higher heights.


Her true intention is clearly more beautiful than anyone’s.


I think that this summer all of you have had very productive days. And i think that Kobayashi-san is the member who has grown the most during that time. I felt that from watching the tour, from your performances in music programs and reading your interviews from various magazines. First of all, i’d like to hear what have you been thinking, and i would like to hear about how you spent this summer.

Kobayashi “I don’t really talk with members, so i don’t know what they were thinking about that situation. Consequently, i didn’t know what to do, and i felt scared to listen. But i was horribly disappointed to realise the things i cannot do and to the fans that were not satisfied, I didn’t want to feel sorry, despite not being perfect, i thought that i wanted to erase the bad parts that fans could see, like from my performance or my choice of words.”

That feeling came about not just for yourself, but also because you were thinking about the group, right?

Kobayashi “I think it’s because Keyakizaka46 is me, and if Keyakizaka46 disappears then i will disappear too. Because i want Keyakizaka46 to become a group i can be proud of.”

A group that you can be proud of. It is yours (Yuipon and members) to make.

Kobayashi “That’s right. But i think I’m still a child.”

But i feel that your way of thinking is quite mature.

Kobayashi “I think it’s more of a situation where we must do what we must, like having a broader mind to listen to what other members might think, not just by wondering “Why can’t we do this?”, but if i can be someone who gets along with others, i think that i will be more adult.”

I see. Certainly, instead of being the “Let us go this way” type, Kobayashi-san looked more like a solo player. I think that it’s wonderful to have the mental strength to work hard by yourself, but there’s also a few parts that become weaknesses.

Kobayashi “When everyone seems to be falling apart during the tour, that time i felt like ‘For the time being, i’ll just do my own part (of the performance)’, but that’s not fun….”

Since it was such a harsh summer, i think it’s unavoidable that there were members who could not concentrate, but have you ever thought that “I cannot work with them again” to them?

Kobayashi “I wonder… I want to go together with everyone, so I’d rather not think like that…. There were times during the tour where i thought “Uwa~ You’re so cold”, i don’t want to be such a cold person anymore.”

With such thoughts, how much would you score your sweat covered performance?

Kobayashi “Personally, performance wise it’s 60 points.”

Because Kobayashi-san is a perfectionist, i think you would have a reasonable reason for giving 60 points.

Kobayashi ‘“That’s right. There are people who said ‘Summer was amazing’, that makes me happy.”

It’s true that ever since you started asking people to see your performance, you started to think about what people see on the stage, right? Where does this feeling come from?

Kobayashi “I think it’s because i want to improve my performance at that time.”

It may also be the manifestation of professionalism. For Kobayashi-san, what are the requirements to be a pro?

Kobayashi “I think it’s the consciousness of performing while being aware that we’re being watched. I don’t know whether it’s a correct answer or not (laughs).”

I would like to ask you again, but why did you choose to be an idol, from among the many other options in life?

Kobayashi “I don’t really remember why i admired it, but ever since i can remember i wanted to enter this world. But originally i never thought of becoming an idol, what was always in mind was becoming a model or an actress. After i entered Keyakizaka46, i feel like i began to know a lot about idols by dancing and singing.”

I don’t think you are the type that’s “pretty noticeable”, but when you were a kid, were you the kind that wanted to play a leading role in a play?

Kobayashi “Not at all. I was doing a savior-like role that appeared at the very end.”

Savior like role that appeared at the very end!? What kind of play did you play?

Kobayashi “It was the Wizard of Oz. It’s not the role of the main character, Dorothy, but i wanted to play as the person who saves her.”

Depending on your way of thinking, it may be a more prominent role than the lead role.

Kobayashi “Ah, indeed it may be (laughs).”

It’s good. I think that Kobayashi-san’s essence as a person is ‘someone visible’. Maybe a person who craves for attention, as an idol, can develop onto a good direction.

Kobayashi “In the end, when performing, i want people to acknowledge that i am confidently performing with everything i’ve learned so far. I’m happy to be praised.”

By the way, do you want to be a Center?

Kobayashi “There's no strong 'I want to!' desire inside of me, but if the people around me asked me to do it i will. However, no one has asked me yet, so first i want to be someone that people will ask for"

At this moment, the Center of the group is Hirate. How do you see her, someone who is younger than you?

Kobayashi “I feel that she is different from me. When doing Fukyouwaon, Hirate could get inside Fukyouwaon’s world, and will not get out of there. But i think that it’s amazing that she could get to that point. I think that she’s one step above me. And then there’s a part of her who can do smiley songs and many other kinds of songs, and it would look cheerful… I think that people who can get into a world is amazing, and i’m curious about how it feels.”

It’s true that even for us outsiders, Hirate-san is able to step into a world outside our imagination.

Kobayashi “All the more, in a performance that i’m confident in, Hirate will always be a step above. Ah~ So she even goes as far as that, is what i thought a lot.”

What do you mean?

Kobayashi “If it’s about dance skills, it may look like that Suzumoto (Miyu), and Hirate and I are in the same level, but for example i thought to myself ‘I think i was able to perform this hand choreography well’ and then when i look at Hirate or Suzumoto, i would make some discoveries like ‘Ah, wait. So you have to move your legs like that…’ So i think that i’m still behind them.”

Do you feel like catching up?

Kobayashi “Yes, i am.”

I think that there are members who are evidently a level above you, and members who are able to be swallowed by their feelings or let their feelings fuel them in the same group, but which one are you?

Kobayashi “I wonder if i’m a passionate person? If i get swallowed, my level steadily goes down, so in order to raise my level i need someone i can respect.”

Even so, though it’s not a discussion about party games, but it is good that you feel yourself aiming to become the Hero’s Saviour. I can feel that even if you give the leading role away to someone, with the intention to continue to polishing yourself until the day you take the good part at the end! 

Kobayashi “Ahahaha!’

This is my last question before i talk to Imaizumi-san after this. Kobayashi-san mentioned that you were different from Hirate-san. But what about Imaizumi-san?

Kobayashi “I think there are similarities between us.”

I expected that answer. Well then, please tell me the reason in the dialogue after this.
-----

Raw toomuchidea
Translation toomuchidea
QC Ameto-kun, Tofu & Seri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1