Their resonance of wish to change (BRODY February 2018 Kobayashi Yui x Imaizumi Yui)


Imaizumi Yui and Kobayashi Yui.


 If I was to describe their relationship in a couple of words, it would be "Those who resonate with one another".


 There's no doubt that they have some feelings that no one else in the world would understand but themselves. And that is what they call the meaning of Yuichanzu's existence.


 One who keeps on chasing her longed position earnestly. While sometimes she has shown some tears in her eyes, she told us about her feelings without dropping any single tear.


 One who keeps on improving herself while facing her own sincerity. As she told us about what's burning inside her heart, she wakes her true-self who had been sleeping, and has started to speak out.


 Having done interviewing them personally, the preparations were also done. Next, we'll have them throw their feelings at each other.


―― How was the photoshoot?

Kobayashi "I laughed a lot! Ahahaha!"

Imaizumi "I laughed too much, my face hurts!"

―― To be honest, we were a little bit nervous, but you looked like you we're having so much fun. I wonder what that anxiety was for. (laughs)

Imaizumi "I feel at ease because if we're together, there's nothing to worry about."

―― Kobayashi-san, you were also having fun together with her, weren't you?

Kobayashi "I was. I usually don't do such things, but she made me do it. (laughs)"

Imaizumi "Ahahahaha!"

―― As we've seen the best smile of Imaizumi-san's, I think I'll start the interview. When did the two of you meet each other for the first time?

Kobayashi "I spoke with her after the third audition."

―― Was it also the first time you two found out that you have the same name?

Imaizumi "Yes."

―― I believe that at that time, you had no slightest idea of forming a unit together. But after that, you two successfully passed. And at the omotenashikai before your debut, you two got on the stage together. Do you still remember what you felt when you heard about the formation of Yuichanzu?

Kobayashi "I’ve already heard that Imaizumi was good at singing, so I always wanted to do something together. So I was happy at that time."

Imaizumi "The first thing came to my mind was 'Oh my god! I can't play the guitar... I'll end up getting in her way'."

―― So what Kobayashi-san felt was joy, while Imaizumi-san was anxiety, right?

Imaizumi "I really regret that I said something like 'I have touched the guitar once'. (laughs)"

Kobayashi "Fufufu. (laughs)"

―― Do you still remember what happened after your first stage?

Kobayashi "We sang Ohara Sakurako's Chippoke na Ai no Uta, all in acapella and the sound coming only from a guitar. Even now, the video is still special for me."

Imaizumi "There were some guests who cried. After the performance, I said to yuipon that there were some people who cried. And I remember we cried together backstage."

―― After that, you two started singing and playing guitar on various stages, but this summer, Imaizumi-san, you announced a hiatus. Without Imaizumi-san, Yuichanzu can't do it's activities? What did you think about that, Kobayashi-san?

Kobayashi "You know, it was a time when I was thinking of a lot of things. Like I started to think that I didn’t really like my own voice. Why did I have this voice, or why am I singing, etc. So I think halting the Yuichanzu activities was a good thing for both of us. 'Cause I don't like doing something I can't do on the stage."

―― I see. So it was the perfect timing to take a break for you as well. And now that Imaizumi-san has come back, it must have been a while after the last time you met each other. What did you think when you saw your partner then?

Imaizumi "My heart skipped a beat! She was in a ponytail. So I was like 'It's the Yuipon I saw on TV! So cute~!' (laughs)"

Kobayashi "Ufufufu!"

―― It was the first day of the last National Tour in Makuhari, right?

Imaizumi "Yes. She called out to me and said 'Do your best!' At that time, I unintentionally looked down. And I thought, 'Ah! I’m in love with her'"

Kobayashi "Ahahaha!"

Imaizumi "It was quite a while back, but even now, I'd always look at her."

―― What do you mean!? (laughs)

Imaizumi "And, suppon...... It's not suppon! Suppin! Suppin Yuipon is also cute, I think."

―― Suppin Yuipon becomes Suppon? (laughs) {suppin = no make-up}

Imaizumi "I always look at her."

Kobayashi "Actually, it also happened to me, you know!"

Imaizumi "Eh?"

Kobayashi "I heard that you cut your hair, so I was like 'Oh, is that so?' But your haircut was beyond my expectations. Your forelock was also really different. But I think it looks good on you! (laughs) My heart also skipped a beat."

Imaizumi "Ehehe. (laughs)"

―― Now I know that your hearts are attracted to each other's. With that, I think I'll move on to the main subject. The topic this time is "Resonance". I chose this word because I think, even if you look at the whole package of Keyakizaka46, you won't find a unit with its members sharing the same thoughts and way of life with one another to this extent. And the first question I want to ask is "Is there something you admire about each other?"

Kobayashi "I think my ideal image of an idol comes close to Imaizumi. I am not a cheerful kind of person like her. She can also make people laugh, like the staffs. When I see her doing the shoot so joyfully, I figured it must be fun to work with someone like her. So there is something I admire about her. It’s this sparkling aura coming from her that makes people around her smile. It is what idols do. I admire it because I don't have enough of that happy aura and generosity."

―― Surely, Imaizumi-san's happy aura is so outstanding. Maybe that’s what makes her a natural idol.

Imaizumi "Fufufu! I also want to be like Yuipon. I really mean it. Her performance is wonderful, she's also cute, and her blog is interesting. I've always wanted to be like her."

―― So you admire her in every aspect?

Imaizumi "Yes. Also, she's so stylish. Her sense of dressing is far different from me. When we stand in a line, I feel the big difference. It's always been my worry. (laughs) So I always think that I have to improve myself to get closer to her."

―― Also, in the solo interviews before, you mentioned that you always care about what other people might think of you, right? On the other hand, Kobayashi-san, even if she cares about what other people think, she has the strength to not show it to people. Does it also make you admire her?

Imaizumi "Yes. I've always been thinking about it. Yuipon doesn't show her weaknesses to people. I envy her because I'm the type of person whose weaknesses gets easily exposed."

―― Kobayashi-san, how could you not show your weaknesses to anyone?

Kobayashi "Maybe because, for example, even if I get criticized, instead of feeling down, I get motivated instead."

―― You're strong. However, while admiring the parts that one or the other lack, in the solo interviews, Kobayashi-san said that both of you have something in common. Can you tell us what they are?

Kobayashi "I think we both have a high professional awareness, we both hate to lose, and we are  both perfectionists. I think we have those in common. And, for every song, we can divide it amongst ourselves. That, I think, is what makes us different from Hirate."

―― I noticed something you two have in common during the solo interviews. There is this one "resonance point" that is Hirate-san, whose name you mentioned just now. Imaizumi-san, you quite straightforwardly said that you wanted to be a center, while Kobayashi-san, you said that you wanted to catch up to Hirate who’s capable of doing things you can't. You both said that you wanted "to catch up" to Hirate-san. I think you could say both of you acknowledge her more than anyone else.

Imaizumi "For a long time, I've been aware of this. It's so vexing and sad that people would say Keyakizaka46 cannot hold without Hirate. Because I've been doing performances while thinking there are still a ton of members who have unique characters. Then this feeling of "I want people to see more about me" started growing, and it made the idea "I want to be a center" grow stronger and stronger."

Kobayashi "It's become so obvious that Hirate will get brought up if someone speaks about Keyakizaka46. Someone who sees us for the first time will also takes notice of her. So I've been having this feeling of wanting to be the person who can fill her place when she's absent."

―― That being said, I remember on that summer, I felt you perform with that kind of intensity. That even without Hirate-san, you can show something that can satisfy people. I think that you yourself can feel that considerable response (from the fans). Is there something that made you do so?

Kobayashi "During the tour, when Hirate was absent, I suppose I had to do it. At that time, some people said it was good. Since then, I started to keep it in mind. I don't want to show a bad image of Keyakizaka46 to the fans, and I want to do a performance that catches their eyes when they are thinking about where to look if Hirate's not there."

―― The next thing I want to ask is, personally, do you think that Hirate is at a place that neither of you can catch up to?

Kobayashi "Hmm... I think what she is aiming for, and the path I’m taking to be on the same level as her was different to begin with. I'm gonna reach the top with a different path from hers. Even though I don't know how long I'll have to take to catch up."

Imaizumi "I'm the same with Yuipon. I think what Hirate's aiming for and what I am aiming for is different. If maybe, she's aiming for the cool image, then I'm going to aim for the contrary, "The Idol"."

Kobayashi "To be honest, I was the type who supported someone like Imaizumi who's aiming to be the center."

―― "Was"?

Kobayashi "In fact, I still am. And I also think it's ok for me to be at that place (Center) too."

―― So that's why you used the past tense. That you also have the desire of becoming a center. Then how could you support Imaizumi-san?

Kobayashi "Because I have some expectation from her where she can present a different image of Keyakizaka46."

―― I see. How do you see Keyakizaka46 group now?

Kobayashi "I think everyone is not so worldly. I think they know exactly what is right, but there are many who can't show it well."

―― For this group to be better, what do you think is necessary?

Imaizumi "A sense of unity. There are still times where our choreography doesn't synchronize. Instead of short-term intensive one, I want our sense of unity to be stable for a long period of time."

Kobayashi "I think we need to reconfirm on our motto "Humility, Kindness, Bonds"."

―― Now that 2 years have passed, you'll sure need more of those three now.

Kobayashi "Keyakizaka46 is really fortunate. From the beginning, we've been featured in magazines and music shows. However, there's a part of me who can't accept it. For example, for an actress, she has to take various auditions and fail. And take another and fail again. That way, she keeps improving herself. If people can accept the circumstance of us being this fortunate, I feel like the power of Keyakizaka46's activities becomes 2 or 3 times more powerful. Honestly, there's a part of me who, until some time ago, liked Nogizaka46 more... I don't really know much about strictness, so I wanted to know more about it. And after knowing about it, I want to learn the spirit to fight on in strict circumstances."

―― I'm glad to hear your honest opinions. And I feel like it's all because you love Keyakizaka46.

Imaizumi "I've always wanted to do at least one thing that will continuously be recounted by people. Thus, I won't quit until I can leave that behind. Also, right now, Keyakizaka46 has its image of "don't smile". I want to present a different image of Keyakizaka46."

Kobayashi "I also want to see a Keyakizaka46 different from the Keyakizaka46 now. And I think the one who can make it come true is Imaizumi."

―― I think that there are fans out there who wants you to show them a new Keyakizaka46. And I also think that Hirate-san is already exploring new Keyakizaka46 and making it shape. I hope 2018 will be a year where all Keyakizaka46 members resonate with one another with the 3 of you being in the center of it all. In the end, I want to hear about Yuichanzu. Why do you think of all people in the world, you two are chosen to form a unit?

Imaizumi "I think something pulled us together. I'm really glad (to be in this unit)."

Kobayashi "I believe, if there's no Yuichanzu, I wouldn’t be standing in the front line and I don't think I'd gain confidence in my performance. I think I can endure  various things because of the sense of security from the existence of Yuichanzu."

Imaizumi "I also think from the bottom of my heart that I'm glad there is a member whom I can share motivation/encouragement with."

―― Thank you for the fantastic talk! However, this doesn't end here. From now on, the staff will leave the room. So I want both of you to have a chat.

Kobayashi "Eh? (laughs)"

―― I'll leave the tape recorder on and turn it into a manuscript later. I believe there are things you can tell each other without us present. So, I'll leave the rest to you!

Imaizumi "Uwaa~! That's unfair! (laughs)"

Kobayashi "So that's why we're doing this interview on the 2nd floor, not 1st floor. (laughs)"

―― Exactly. As expected, you're sharp (laughs). According to the layout(of the building), if we do the interview on the 1st floor, there will be people including staffs wandering around. Thus, we're doing it on the 2nd floor.

Imaizumi "It's the first time we have had this kind of interview!"

Kobayashi "Even in our private lives, we've never done this just the two of us."

―― Well then, take your time!

Imaizumi "Eeeh~!? (laughs)"

---

Raw toomuchidea
Translation Ameto-kun
QC toomuchidea, Tofu & Seri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1