Sugai Yuuka's Yomiuri Shinbun Interview (20th April 2018)

source




In this new corner, you are playing as a “New Reporter” who’s trying to find a scoop. What kind of incidents do you want to cover?

I’m thinking about accidents that you can relate to in your daily lives. Like, “Ah~ I’ve been there”. It’d also be great if we could offer solutions to love problems. Because we’re not meeting the listeners directly, we want to convey the news truthfully.

Otenki Nori-san plays the role of “demon editor”

I hope he did that (role) without holding back. I’m not the type that gets way over my head when praised, but i’m the type that when praised, i get exposed (laughs).

What “incidents” has happened around you lately?

The biggest accident was the screen of my laptop suddenly turning dark around last December, and my graduation thesis disappeared… Even after looking up ways to restore it, it was no use, i cried thinking i had to rewrite everything again.

But, my mother who couldn’t bear to see my distress, fiddled with the computer and the data is safely recovered!! My mother says that she kept pressing the Enter key to get it fixed (laughs). If it weren’t for that, i won’t be able to graduate.

What made you want to become an idol in the first place?
What got me into idols was AKB48’s Watanabe Mayu. I watched how she worked with a very fresh feeling, even now i still admire her.

I was a normal university student until my 2nd year, but when i thought about what job i wanted to be in the future, i could hardly find what i wanted to do…. Then, i thought about making a life i wouldn’t regret, and i thought that this was my last chance to become the idol that i admired, so i applied.

Now, i’m happy that i can do the things i wanted to do. It might not be my place to say this, but i’ve thought about wanting to become close to everyone (fans) and be the reason they smile everyday.

It was hard balancing with school.

The days I’ve been absent increased ever since i entered Keyakizaka, it was really a borderline graduation. I am thankful to the staffs who kindly thought about the schedule. My friends from university also gave me print outs that i missed when i was absent, if i was alone i wouldn’t have been able to graduate.

Among the members who are active students, i am the oldest, if i could graduate university within 4 years, i thought the other members would work hard too, with that in mind i motivated myself. Now i have one less thing to think of, and i could think and work harder for the group more than ever.

How do you relax in-between your busy days?

Unexpectedly, i think the most important is to go to bed. Whatever happened, after a good sleep the next day you will feel refreshed. When traveling in a car, i would sleep while listening to my favourite songs. When i hear that the traveling time is long, i would think “Hooray!” (laughs).

The other is my pet cat, Tom. Whatever feelings i might go home with, he always greets me with an unchanging excitement. In a good way, he’s plumpy and chubby, he accepts everything and it heals me.

Horse riding is also your hobby.

Riding a horse also refreshes me. I was in the horse club in my university, and since i entered Keyakizaka i became the club manager. It’s another important place for me, even after i entered Keyakizaka the club members greeted me as usual, it’s an important place to remember my feelings from before i entered Keyakizaka.

What is the charm of Keyakizaka that you feel?

First of all, the people who supported us are wonderful. Starting with our dance choreographer, Takahiro-sensei, i could feel his passion and enthusiasm in making a song’s choreography. That’s why for us, “look” is the second important thing when conveying the world view of the song, it doesn’t matter if the audience can’t see your face, just dance with all you’ve got.

Not resisting to disheveled hair when dancing, i like that part too. There are times when i feel like i cannot make a good expression that suits the songs atmosphere, there are also times when i feel like i’m the only one making a different expression.
 
Every dance in Keyakizaka looks difficult

I used to learn ballet, and i learned how to memorize choreography then, so i was able to do it without feeling confused in the beginning. But as the level of dance steadily goes up, it’s becoming hard to do without staying behind and being taught by the dancers. It took some time to make the formation for Garasu wo ware!. Even now, everyone has their own level of details in choreography. It doesn’t need to be perfect, but we have to make it better each time.

One year has passed since you became captain.

The truth is, before that i have never been in a position where i need to lead people…. Back when i was a student, i was a member of the beautification committee or the health committee. I’ve never been the class representative, was never nominated too. Because i was like that, the decision surprised me. I wondered if it’ll be okay.

The number of times i have to talk in front of people as the representative of Keyakizaka increased, a sense of responsibility was born, I also began thinking about things i wouldn’t have thought of if i wasn’t a captain. I wonder if i grow, little by little?

What kind of mindset do you have as a captain?

To think about the group objectively, and observe each member. I’m still lacking as captain, but i thought if i wasn’t, i’d be more lonely. Because i’m the captain, i try to deepen my relationship with the other members, and know more about them.

You must have a lot of hardships as a captain.

During an emergency, it’s hard to be the first one to say something. When reporting something to everyone, i have to find a way to break it without hurting anyone. Since i have to think about the best way from various different points of view, i learned that my own way of thinking must be more flexible, and that i have to be able to understand people’s feelings better.

I thought that it’d be better if i had a personality that can pull the group like ‘Okay, let’s do this’, but it’s quite difficult. I am hesitant to say something loudly, it’s also a problem.

This summer, an audition for new members will be held.

When the new members enter, they will be very nervous. I would too, there’s a lot of shy members in the group, it’s only recently that members opened up to each other.

 But we want to make an atmosphere where it’s easy for new members, and as seniors we want to be someone who can be their role model. When new members join, the awareness of the group increase, not just riding the momentum, but we want to increase our skills. I wonder if that is the reason.

The solo activity of members have also increased.

That makes me happy. It’d be great if everyone has their own power, and wherever they may be, they can shine like the first star. And so, i want to make a better chemistry when everyone back together again. That’s why i want to support each member’s activity, and i want to work hard on my own as well.

The 2nd anniversary concert was performed without Hirate Yurina and Shida Manaka. From now on, what kind of group do you want Keyakizaka to become?

Because they were absent, i could feel how big each member’s existence is. I strongly feel that we must help each other by noticing what we missed before. Keyakizaka’s motto is “Humility, Kindness, Bonds”. There are many form of kindness and bonds, and until now in the formation, we left an empty position like saying “We are waiting for you” to those who are absent.

But recently, by filling in the position, we tried to show that the group has grown stronger than before. I want each of us to develop our own individual power, to pursue how we can convey our music, and further enhance our unity.

I think that it's still best when performing together (with complete members), when we are able to do that, i wonder if we can leave an impression to those who watch us. It’s sad that members are incomplete, but because of that, we have to be able to do our best with the members who are present.

---

translation toomuchidea
QC Seri



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1