Encounter (Sugai Yuuka x Sakurai Reika BUBKA April 2019)


There is no other way to call the idol world these past few years with anything but “Sakamichi Era”

Nogizaka46, who has continuously won the “Japan Record Award”, reigns at the top. And following right behind is Keyakizaka46, who has been giving shock since its debut with its innovative performance.

The two captains, Sakurai Reika and Sugai Yuuka, who can be said to be the leading figures behind the creation of this era will meet in BUBKA.


Sound from the dressing room next door


―― Today is the planning Sakurai-san wished for!

Reika: Ehehe

―― When I interviewed her before, we started talking about Sugai Yuuka-san, and she said “We don’t have a chance to meet if it wasn’t for a project, I want to chat with her so please do make one.”

Yuuka: Ah, I see

―― But there are certainly times where you talked, right?

Yuuka: We meet during music programs.

Reika: But it feels like we don’t talk much then. Even if our dressing room is next to each other, it is separated by a partition. I can hear Keyaki-chan’s voice, chatting around, and I thought that sounded fun.

Yuuka: Eh!! Are we being noisy?

Reika: That’s not what I think. We are noisy too. What I thought is that you do a lot of cool performances, but you guys talk a lot too, or how you guys practice your choreography a lot.

―― I think that Keyakizaka46 could hear Nogizaka46 too, how does it feel like?

Yuuka: I could tell that they are close with each other.

Reika: We’re noisy, right?

Yuuka: No, not at all! I thought that it’s an endearing dressing room. Even the sound of their laughter is cute.

―― What a peaceful dressing room (laughs). This sort of talk has been done twice in the past, wasn’t it?

Yuuka: Yes.

Reika: How long has it been?

―― There’s the “Monthly AKB48 Group Newspaper” from February of 2017, and then “overture” in March of the same year. So around 2 years ago.

Reika: Time sure moves fast.

Yuuka: It's been that long, huh. What I remember is when I was just selected as the Captain, I asked her what a Captain is. I asked her opinion as my senior Captain.

―― Was it useful?

Yuuka: Ah… Yes.

―― Though there's an awkward pause.

Reika: From time to time I was being frank, right? (laughs)

Yuuka: Eh, not at all!

Reika: It sure came out, right~

Yuuka: It’s was a good learning experience! Truly!

Reika: I wonder if it helped you (glare)

ーー Let’s just trust each other! Do you have each other’s contact information?

Reika: Yes. We contact each other at point of need. Like yesterday, we talked like “Tomorrow we’ll have a job together”.

Yuuka: I’m nervous to be the one to reach out to her first, but I said “I will be in your care of me tomorrow”. And then she replied with a sticker. It eases me.

ーー As expected from the senior. Once again I’d like to hear your opinions on each other. Sakurai-san, how do you see Sugai-san?

Reika: My impression of her is that she is a person loved by those around her, and is raised well. You can see it from TV, but when I actually speak to her in person I feel that she is a straightforward person. It must be hard for someone like her to keep a balance being the captain of an artistic group of Keyakizaka46. I’m curious on how she did it.

Yuuka: Balance? I can't maintain it.

Reika: I’m sure you can (laughs)

Yuuka: But I think that I can't...

ーー Do you think her analysis of you being loved and raised well is correct?

Yuuka: I have a good relationship with my family. It’s a peaceful one.

ーー Well then, how does Sugai-san see Sakurai-san?

Yuuka: It happened again today, but when our eyes met it made my heart skipped a beat.

Reika: Fufufu.

Yuuka: She has beautiful eyes. At first glance, she looked like a strict person and that made me nervous, but beyond that is kindness and gentleness that really helped me. I could feel that she must be trusted by the other members. Nogizaka46 have a neat and beautiful image, and I think Sakurai-san is the symbol of it.

ーー A symbol of beauty.

Yuuka: Yes. Like elegance and sophistication, everything like that. I think that she also support the group’s image, and I admire that.

ーー Do you think that analysis is correct?

Reika: It made me happy (laughs).

ーー So you don’t know if it’s right or not (laughs).

The role to convey through words


ーー But now there seems to be an indication of a big task. In other words, whether the one that sums up the group's image is the Captain or not. There is no doubt that the two of you lead the group.

Reika: Because Sugai-chan is the captain, Keyaki has a good feeling to it and it feels like as a group they can last for a long time. And I think that that is a necessary existence.

Yuuka: 3 years have passed since I was given the role as Captain, but there are times where I feel that I am not helping the others. I am not someone who can support in dance, so I want to help in other fronts. But I feel anxious about whether I am able to do it or not. Keyaki has a “sharp" image to it, and I wondered if I have damaged that image, I have thought about many things… Are you aware of what to do to support the group?

Reika: I’m also not the type that pulls the group. I’m not the type that “lead”, but more like “organize”. Also, friendliness. If you have good relationship, it’s easier to organize everyone.

Yuuka: That’s true. It seems that everyone is friends with each other.

Reika: We are really close. Sometimes it feels like a sports festival.

Yuuka: Eeeh!!

Reika: Everyone’s competitiveness showed up. There are times where everyone’s “Let’s do this seriously” feeling comes out. Like, actually playing tag (laughs).

ーー I see (laughs).

Reika: It built friendships. Other than that, is to do my best as Captain during live performances.

Yuuka: As Captain aren't there a lot of time where we must talk? Like talking after a live performance, or before a performance during live. Do you think of what to say in advance?

Reika: There are times where I did so, but I think it’s better to not think about it much.

Yuuka: Eeeh!! It’s amazing that you speak without thinking of what to say.

Reika: I think it’s different for each person. But I try not to talk too long.

Yuuka: I’m the type that think about it a lot. Like “If today’s atmosphere is like this, what should I say to encourage everyone?”. It may be best to make up what you say in the spot, but I couldn’t do it. I thought about what to say since morning.

Reika: You thought about it that much!

Yuuka: I thought about it a lot.

Reika: How do you speak lately? What did you talk about recently?

Yuuka: Looking back, I think it might not be much but during the cheer for NHK Kouhaku Uta Gassen I said “Let’s break the glass in front of us!"

Reika: That’s nice (laughs).

ーーWhat about Sakurai-san? For example, the cheer from Record Award last year.

Reika:  It was the second year we had Seishiro-san as our choreographer for Record Award. When Seishiro-san speak there is an aura that wraps people around, he said some wonderful words. Last year, we formed a circle, held hands and close our eyes.

Then we gripped successively using only our right hands, and with one turn we were able to become one-- or something like that. Because something like that happened I am there not as a Captain, but I'm just there as part of the members (laughs).

ーー Is there is a time where you thought that you did well during cheer?

Reika: I don’t think that I have put that much focus into cheers. I put more focus on the MC during live performance. It's not a specific time but like when I said the last greeting, when I speak of our gratitude and our future determination, I feel that everyone is listening to me.

There are times when members who cried from my words sent me a mail saying that “What you said resonated with me”. At later days, there are members who praised me for it during interviews too. That’s why I don’t put much thought on cheers as the place to discuss with each other.

Yuuka: Have you have any discussions with members only?

Reika: Not with everyone, I guess. 4 or 5 people get together and chat, and then somehow started talking about the group. It feels like what these people talked about are then conveyed to everyone else. The other day I asked for 1st generation member to be gathered, and told the staffs various things about live performance.

ーー With Sakurai-san taking the lead?

Reika: Yes. I was undertook to contact to everyone.

Yuuka: As for me, I gathered everyone for a talk before the start of something important. The most recent is 2nd generation members entering.

ーー Sugai-san, are you the one taking the lead?

Yuuka: Several people talked, then we realized that it’s better if we talked about this together with everyone, so we gathered everyone during lesson for a talk.

Reika: What did you talk about?

Yuuka: During that time there will be several end of the year music programs, and several 2nd generation members will be taking turns to perform with us. That time we talked about us having to serve as an example. We also talked about how relaxed we are during lessons. Like, “We have to be more serious. There is no other time to change but now”.

ーー Is Sugai-san the one who started it?

Yuuka: Yes. There’s no other choice but to. That chance also served as an opportunity for those who had something to say.

Jealousy


ーー Since this is a rare opportunity, do you have anything you’d like to ask each other? Several questions have been asked to each other, but is there is anything else you’d like to ask?

Yuuka: I have a question. Nogizaka46 is growing in members, right? With 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and then 4th gen. How do you befriend each other? Our 2nd gen have just entered, and I can still feel a wall between us.

Reika: When did they come in?

Yuuka: We started working with them since the end of the year. There are members who have positively accepted them, there are those who aren't able to process it.

Reika: In our case, barely anyone took them positively. That’s why, I feel really sorry for our 2nd gen.

Yuuka: So that’s what happened.

Reika: Now 4th gen is entering, but I think 1st gen was the most concerned about the 2nd gen. If you think of it, it can’t be helped that there are Keyaki-chan 1st gen members who couldn’t accept them. It’s something that is solved with time, and you can’t get over it without accomplishing something big together. It's not just being together, okay? 1st gen members have been doing things with the other 1st gen members only, and even if the new members enter, you would still have your bonds with each other.

Yuuka:  While 1st gen feel collected, I feel that 2nd gen are feeling like “We aren’t supposed to be here…”. I want to somehow do something about that. I guess there is no other choice but do things together.

Reika: There is no doubt that you must do something together to get over it, but as the senior Sugai-san must be the one to start the talk.

Yuuka: Recently I worked hard to reach out to them.

Reika: That’s great! Did you go out for a meal together?

Yuuka: We’re not in that point yet. But they are my first juniors in life. So I don’t know how to close the distance between us.

Reika: It might be best not to have several of whom you are particularly close with.

Yuuka: Ah...

ーー Because there won't be an equal interaction right? You must think of a way to close the distance, but at the same time how to keep a distance.

Reika: There is a lot of members, and while I think it's good to have members you're close with, I must think of my position as Captain or people will think that I am playing favourites. That’s why we must proceed with a sense of equality. It’s not good to have a member that you have never talked with. You must have keep them at arm’s length.

Yuuka:  I am already conscious of it.

Reika: But when someone approached you for an advice you must pay them great attention. They are girls who are feeling quite troubled.

Yuuka: Understood!

ーー Is there is anything you’d like to ask, Sakurai-san?

Reika: It’s a simple question, but does Keyaki-chan have any Idol-like costume?

Yuuka: Hm… No, we don’t. Nogizaka46-san wore a princess-like costume for Kouhaku, right? That time I thought that we looked like knights protecting the princesses. There was such a contrast.

t/n: some comparison

Reika: Have you ever wanted to try wearing Idol-like costume?

Yuuka: Truth is, yes!

Reika: Ahahahaha!

Yuuka: That’s what I thought during Kouhaku. When we are collaborating with other group, I thought that we don’t have the sparkle the other Idols have.

Reika: Like wearing a white shirt.

Yuuka: Yes. But that is also what we are like, and there are times when we are praised for that, so I’d like to do my best in that part as well.

Reika: We too, are jealous of Keyaki-chan’s costume. Because it looks cool.

ーー That was a good question. Is there is any song from each other’s group you’d like to try performing?

Reika: I don’t think we can dance anything that intense.

ーー I think it will look different, but if you practice you can do it. But is it simply the feeling of enviousness?

Reika: I’m envious of everything.

Yuuka: Eh--! I’m happy to hear that!

Reika: Members often play around, mimicking it. Singing it in karaoke too (laughs).

Yuuka: Eh!!! What song?

Reika: Like Silent Majority, mimicking the part where the path opens.

ーー To think of Nogizaka mimicking the Moses choreo from SaiMajo… (laughs)

Reika:  Yeah, we do it. Futari Sezon is really popular too, and usually sung in karaoke. The other day, (Eto) Misa said “I want to sing Futari Sezon!”

Yuuka: Uwa… I’m thankful to hear that. There is a lot of times where we get to see Synchronicity’s performance up close, and we admire the performance. We were moved by the performance in Record Award.

Reika: Happy to hear that. Synchronicity is Keyaki-like, right? It has the same type of performance.

ーー Have you seen the MV for Kuroi Hitsuji?

Reika: Ah, not yet.

Yuuka: This time it’s not uploaded to YouTube, but to our homepage.

Reika: I see. I’ll watch it later, I look forward to it.

ーー It’s a naive question, but I’m curious if members watch each other’s show? Does Keyakizaka members watch Nogizaka Kojichuu, and does Nogizaka members watch Keyaki tte Kakenai?

Yuuka: I watch it if I can make it to time it's shown.

Reika: I… don’t even watch ours (laughs).

ーー Ehhh!!!!

Reika: The other day, there was a recording for a quiz . About various things from our first regular program, "Nogizaka tte doko?" up until the present. Everyone had cold sweat. Shitara (Osamu)-san said, “Why aren’t you watching it!” and I feel bad about it.

ーー Why don’t you watch it?

Reika: I think there are members who watch it, but I simply feel embarrassed to see myself. Sometimes I see myself on the news, and I thought, so this is how I was. I know that Keyaki-chan must feel the same way.

The dream of Sakamichi


ーー Nogizaka46 and Keyakizaka46 are working on different roads but they cross path in music programs and events such as Record Award. Last year, Nogizaka46 won Record Award for the consecutive year, what does Keyakizaka46 feel about that?

Yuuka: Our feelings are different from the first year and last year. Our first year felt like it was over without us even knowing where our stop was. Last year, we talked about our previous experience and about wanting to work harder.

Techi (Hirate Yurina) is absent, and Yuipon (Kobayashi Yui) worked hard as the Center. We thought about how we could leave an impact, but seeing how Nogizaka46 won the grand prize made me thought about how amazing they are.

The next day (Kouhaku) Takahiro-sensei said “I’m sorry that we couldn’t win the prize” and started crying. Seeing that makes me thought that we’d like to win it for him. Although we admire Nogizaka46-san, the feeling of “Someday, we will too” have started to bloom.

ーー If you are aiming to win this year, you must overcome the group that have continuously win.

Yuuka: Rather than the feeling of wanting to overcome or surpass them, feeling of respect comes first. For Keyaki, Nogizaka46-san’s back looked so very far away. If we are gonna do it, we want to aim for the top, and we hope that we can reach it someday.

ーー On the other hand, how does Nogizaka46 look at Keyakizaka46?

Reika: Our impression of them has changed. At the beginning, we are very keen on them like “Sister group? We ain’t losing to them” kind of feeling (laughs). We were acting childish.

Yuuka: No, it’s not!

Reika:  Because they are our sister group, you can’t help but to feel curious about them. Now within the members, we feel like they're cute relatives

ーー Because you are connected by blood.

Reika: There was a period where I thought we wouldn’t be able to communicate with each other, but then I realized that they are not bad kids (laughs). Maybe because the image of the group became mature, like somehow they look like a proper group.

Before they feel all over the place, but I can feel unity from them now. I also know that they are working hard. So that’s why I feel more worried about them. Like “there are news like this appearing, I wonder if they are okay?” kind of thing. My image of them right now is a group that I want to cherish.

Nogizaka46 has a lot of graduates, and we don’t know if we will be selected again for Record Award. We are supplementing ourselves with the juniors. Of course we'd like to keep our current position, but maybe it will be good if Keyaki, our sister group, inherits Nogizaka46's current position.

ーー I see. Our theme this month is “The Era of Sakamichi”. It just happens that what you said is related to it.

Reika: Keyaki-chan is already established. There also seems to be a lot of young people who are saying “I like Keyaki more than Nogizaka”. I often see their CM, and I can hear their songs when I walk on the street.

ーー What part do you think Nogizaka46 is not losing in?

Reika: What year are you in right now?

Yuuka: We are approaching our 3rd year soon.

Reika: Still that young? Scary (laughs)

Yuuka: I guess we are as old as when Nogizaka46-san released “Kidzuitara Kataomoi”?

Reika: That time, even if we are asked if we want to surpass AKB48-san, a clear answer doesn’t appear. So if Sugai-chan is asked “Do you want to surpass Nogizaka46?” and couldn’t make an answer, I understand well what you feel.

Something that we won’t lose at is the strength of our history and the bonds of its members. Because I think that those are the most important part for a group. If you can continue for a long time, the relationship between members will rapidly change. I think that if Keyaki-chan can grow stronger in that part too, they will be an even more amazing group.

ーー At the other hand, what part of Keyakizaka46 can the older sister (Nogizaka46) be proud of?

Yuuka: Hm….

ーー The Captain’s charisma

Yuuka: Not that (laughs)

Reika: Hey that might be one!

ーー Are you saying you’re not a ponkotsu? (laughs)

Reika: Wait, Sugai-chan is a ponkotsu right?

ーー Are you going to bond over that?

Reika: No, not at all! People often said that we are similar like that!

Yuuka: I’m not a ponkotsu (laughs). But, I wonder what it is we can be proud of… Maybe songs…

ーー You’re speaking in such a small voice (laughs). Is there anything that you’d like to pursue?

Yuuka: We always have the awareness of facing the lyric and to convey it. I want us to continue carrying that feeling. By doing so, I hope that we can bring out more individuality in the group.

ーー I thought that you have done enough with that, is is still not enough?

Yuuka: For us to grow bigger, I think that it’d be better if we can challenge many things without being bound by something.

ーー Sakurai-san, is there is anyone from Keyaki that you think will be great to have in Nogizaka46?

Reika: It’d be great if we have Sugai-chan~

Yuuka: Eh (laughs)

ーー And what about you, Sugai-san?

Yuuka: I’d be happy to have Sakurai-san here, but the other day, when I spoke with Ume-chan (Umezawa Minami). She said “(Keyaki songs) are really cool, I’d like to try performing them. I admire it. '' I thought that she may fit the cool image.

ーー Shiunchi Mai-san, Umezawa-san, Sugai-san, and Habu-san went out to eat some hotpot together, right?

Yuuka: Yes.

Reika: Ah, I see. Because Habu-chan is there, Maichun too.

ーー They interacted from Shiunchi-san’s radio and so on.

Yuuka: Yes. And because of that connection, I got invited too.

ーー Why is everyone there have a tall figure?

Reika: If that so then I can't join! But for a moment I thought that I wanted to join (laughs)

ーー It’d be great if one day you can go out for a meal with them. Well then, it’s time already. Thank you for today!


Sakurai Reika
Born 16th May 1994, from Kanagawa. The captain of Nogizaka46, known as the 'Murasaki Shikibu' of the idol world, who spreads and gives a sense of experience of literary beauty. With constant "Effort" she has climbed many slopes, and created many "Smiles" with her ponkotsu character. Everyone who knows her will surely feel "Gratitude" to her for being the captain. Her nickname is “Reika”.

Sugai Yuuka
Born 29th November 1995, from Tokyo. The 'chaputen' of Keyakizaka46, known as the 'Green Beret' of the idol world with their overwhelming fighting power. In this world full of lies and deceit, she supports the group with her unchanging "Humility". If she is able to build "Bonds" with living beings, surely she will also be able to touch the black sheep with her "Kindness". Her nickname is “Yuuka”.


Translated by toomuchidea
QC by ariadne32391
Special thanks to Varianth
Raw @ weibo

Comments

  1. A very fun and insightful interview

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, ahh...like this so much. The Era of Sakamichi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this!
    Now that our Captain will leave...
    :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1