Morita Hikaru Interview (UTB+ Vol 49)


Interviewer: Since this is your first time featured as solo cover of a magazine, I’d like to ask you about various things. What did you want to be when you were a kid?

Hikaru: I wanted to be a zookeeper at an aquarium when I was in elementary school.

Interviewer: If you had become a zookeeper, which animal would you have wanted to look after?

Hikaru: My favorite fish is Manbou (tn: ocean sunfish), but if I were a zookeeper I’d want to look after penguins. ‘Cuz they’re cute (lol).

Interviewer: Koike Minami had an app where she raised penguins didn’t she? Did you also play it?

Hikaru: I had the one where you raise an axolotl.

Interviewer: And did it grow a lot?

Hikaru: It grew so big! Like so large that its face filled the screen.

Interviewer: That much!?

Hikaru: Well I raised it for at least 500 days or so, but my niece mistakenly reset it. Was a pretty big shock.

Interviewer: The surroundings around where you’re from are pretty rich in nature. I don’t think you can find any axolotl, though…

Hikaru: There are kabutoebi (tn: shield shrimp), though. I’d scoop out tanago (tn: bitterling fish) that were living in the river and raise them in my house (lol).

Interviewer: Back then, you’d freely get muddy while playing right?

Hikaru: My preschool was pretty rough if nothing else, so we’d often climb mountains or pretend we were Tarzan.

Interviewer: Is it at that preschool where you learned your special skill of cartwheeling?

Hikaru: Cartwheeling was something I taught myself. In the first few years of elementary school, because of the influence of Nintama Rintarou (tn: anime series), I wanted to become a ninja (lol).
Interviewer: Ah, so it was part of your training (lol).

Hikaru: Yeah I did “Ninja-running” too (lol). I’d get a cold stare from my older sister the whole time. I guess you could say that’s my dark past...

Interviewer: I’ve heard that from middle school onward, you became very mature, is that right?

Hikaru: Yes, I was. Around the house I was still noisy and fussy, but once I went out I’d switch into adult mode.

Interviewer: Did you do any club activities or lessons?

Hikaru: Absolutely none, honestly. I really loved just being home. When class was over, I think I was the first one leaving through the school gate (lol).

Interviewer: So what would you do during physical education class?

Hikaru: I’d think about how to avoid the attention of the teacher, and for better or worse, I learned to not stand out. I’d try to just “act natural.”

Interviewer: Watching the beach flag showdown on “Keyakitte, Kakenai?”, did you think you have a high level of physical ability?

Hikaru: No no, not at all! If we did a normal 100m dash, Tamura Hono would decisively defeat me I think. I let out a “Oh yikes” as soon as we started, and thought that Hono-chan must have just been careless.

Interviewer: What career path did you want to follow in middle school?

Hikaru: Civil service worker (lol). I wanted to aim for a stable future.

Interviewer: And then in your 3rd year of middle school, you came to love idols, right?

Hikaru: Yes. I saw Nogizaka-san and thought “There are nothing but cute girls!” I particularly enjoyed Nishino Nanase-san’s performances. I’d unintentionally end up fixing my gaze at her. Her heart-stopping expressions brought out such an “I want to protect you” aura. Even if I want to show such an expression, it seems it disappears instantly and I can’t do it.

Interviewer: You got really into Keyakizaka46’s “Kataru nara mirai wo…”right?

Hikaru: It caught my attention while it was being played at a CD shop. Until then I was aware of Keyakizaka46, but I’d always go straight to Nogizaka-san’s section. So then the first time I saw the music video for “Kataru nara mirai wo…” I thought “Amazing!”That night I relentlessly looked up everything about them (lol).

Interviewer: At that point, you hadn’t had the feeling yet that you wanted to become an idol?

Hikaru: I didn’t. I had wondered what it must look like being up on stage while watching live performances. 

Interviewer: Then you had the idea to participate in the Sakamichi collective audition because you had nothing to lose?

Hikaru: That’s the thought I had when I was in my first year of high school and was auditioning for Hiragana Keyakizaka’s 2nd generation. However, I withdrew due to a typhoon canceling my flight. A year later I heard about the Sakamichi joint audition, and since I like all 3 groups I thought “There’s no chance like this!” and applied. It’s not that I applied for Hiragana Keyakizaka without taking it seriously, but for this I had a much stronger feeling that I wanted to pass the audition.

Interviewer: You weren’t experienced in song and dance, but it seems there were those that did have experience working hard as well.

Hikaru: Yeah, with there being all those girls that had experience auditioning before, I thought “this is bad.” I questioned my own appeal, thinking “there’s nothing I’m good at.” (wry smile)

Interviewer: How did you feel when your number was called during the final judging?

Hikaru: I think I was so shocked I could barely reply (lol).

Being influenced by “Nintama Rintarou,” I had taught myself to cartwheel as “part of my training.”


Interviewer: How were lessons after passing the audition?

Hikaru: With the exception of Fujiyoshi (Karin), Matsuda (Rina), Takemoto (Yui), the 6 of us all started out inexperienced. We had a feeling of “Let’s do this together” so that nobody would be left behind. The three that had experience were incredible as expected, and became role models.

Interviewer: Keyakizaka46’s 2nd generation’s debut is strange, in the sense that there was a performance on Utacon around the same time of Omitatekai. With Matsuda-san, Takemoto-san, and Tamura-san appearing in the performance, was there any feeling that they had pulled ahead of the rest?

Hikaru: It wasn’t like that. I was watching a lesson to fill the position of Yonetani-san (Nanami) who had announced her graduation, but at that time the situation was difficult to the point that I ended up wanting to run away…

Interviewer: How was your first performance on “Music Station Superlive 2018” (December 21st, 2018)?

Hikaru: Hirate-san (Yurina) was unable to attend at that time, so I had filled in for Koike-san’s usual spot after the position slide. It was different from the position I had originally learned, so I was out of sorts. In addition to being my first time on a TV show, we also had new uniforms, and Suzumoto (Miyu)-san  was centering, so it was a chain of “first times” to worry about. 

Interviewer: Such as Nagahama Neru-san greeting you.

Hikaru: She greeted me by noticing that I’d cut my hair. I was saying “I’m not nervous.” while I was talking to her, but as soon as we started walking down the stairs I told her “I’m nervous~!!” She replied in surprise, “Ehh, is that so!?”

As far as I’m concerned, Keyakizaka46 is a family to me. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about something related to Keyakizaka46.


Interviewer: You performed at Osaka Anniversary Live (April 6th) wearing the now graduated Imaizumi Yui’s outfit, right?

Hikaru: When I see Imaizumi-san’s smiling face, I’m able to feel better, so I’ve liked her a lot since I was a fan. When I entered into Imaizumi-san’s position, I kept in mind to show my own colors (tn: like her personal style rather than copying zuumin), but I checked it against a recording of Imaizumi-san many times.

Interviewer: You were in the position next to Hirate-san for Futari Saison.

Hikaru: I remember being covered in sweat because of how nervous I was to be between Hirate-san and Suzumoto-san (lol).

Interviewer: Were there any interactions with Hirate-san during the live?

Hikaru: I made a mistake on the part where we walk back in a clockwise formation, and Hirate-san corrected it by supporting me and saying “It’s this way.” My heart instantly started to pound from being touched and my face went red. Then I was teased by the other members, “Hikaru-chan is so red!” I got embarrassed and my face got even more red.

Interviewer: When did your self-awareness as an idol begin to sprout?

Hikaru: I’d say around Keyaki Republic (July 5th-7th). I started to study dance and facial expressions even more so I would be better able to communicate with fans.

Interviewer: On September 18th and 19th you stood at Tokyo Dome.

Hikaru: I can only say that I was brought along there by my senpai (1st gen). Though, we were told by Staff-san “Don’t be so modest.”So we aimed for a performance that would be thought of as one whose impact was improved by the addition of 2nd generation members.

Interviewer: Your performance on “Mou Mori ni Kaerou ka?” left quite an impression.

Hikaru: When I watched over the footage of the performance at Nihon Budoukan (May 9th - 11th), I thought “the way this is now is no good.” So then at Tokyo Dome, I was particular about the robotic expression. The energy among members in general was completely different, so I had planned to perform without blinking a single time.

Interviewer: How was the unveiled encore performance of “Fukyouwaon”?

Hikaru: The rehearsal for it was the hardest of them all. Learning the positioning was very difficult. If I had slipped out of position even half a second it was noticeable, so I desperately tried to learn it. But the feeling of elation for the performance was great. After singing, the feeling of accomplishment I had was like none other up until that point.

Interviewer: Two other 2nd generation members were asked at Tokyo Dome what kind of meaning Keyakizaka46 has to them, but what does it mean to you?

Hikaru: It’s already become like a family to me. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about something related to Keyakizaka46; I’ve noticed I’m always thinking about it.

Interviewer: Even though you aren’t an experienced dancer, your performances really captivate viewers.

Hikaru: I have a complex about my short stature, so in an effort to not be buried behind everyone, I’ve studied on how best to still be noticed. For example, I always try to dance with my whole body. Sometimes other members are just too tall, though (lol).

Interviewer: Fujiyoshi-san has said that your expression is amazing.

Hikaru: That makes me happy~.

Interviewer: Is expression something you’ve looked into improving as well?

Hikaru: Each song has different messages contained in them, so I put effort into properly expressing the lyrics, understanding the world portrayed in the music videos, having an awareness for the words we receive from Takahiro-sensei, and stay in line with the music’s composition.

Interviewer: Among the 2nd generation members, you’re particularly close with Matsuda-san aren’t you?

Hikaru: I suppose I am… hehehehe…

Interviewer: You do things together like playing as a couple.

Hikaru: Yes, we do that (lol). When we’re riding an escalator, we’ll brush the other’s hand on the belt and go “Ah! S-sorry!” to each other.

Interviewer: So the 2nd generation members have a relationship where they’re able to joke around with each other.

Hikaru: I do like to play around so that I don’t overdo things, so it’s a relief to have the other 2nd generation members around.

Interviewer: Have you been able to speak naturally with your 1st generation senpai yet?

Hikaru: Well the situation for me is that I’m a shy person, so I haven’t yet been able to talk casually with them.

Interviewer: I’ve heard about the “3 year old kid” teasing from Watanabe Risa-san and Harada (Aoi)-san.

Hikaru: During rehearsal, the two of them were looking in my direction and whispering with each other. When I asked, “What’s wrong~?” Harada-san replied as if she’s looking at a child, “Your clothes are too big on you, seriously you’re so small and cute.”

Interviewer: They’re totally teasing you (lol).

Hikaru: Right?? (lol) When I answer back “I’m not that small!” they giggle at me “Truly just like a 3 year old.”

Interviewer: Did you interact with your senpai at Tokyo Dome?

Hikaru: Matsuda-san, who really likes Hirate-san, had said “I wanna take a picture,” so I assisted with that. I also haven’t talked much with Hirate-san, so it was a bit worrisome, but Kobayashi-san was nearby. I thought “I’m able to talk to Kobayashi-san!” and went up to her and they let us take a photo of the 4 of us together.

Interviewer: So you’re able to talk to Kobayashi-san somewhat freely?

Hikaru: Yes. Before any photos or recording, Kobayashi-san arranges her hair. It’s really cute so I end up fixedly staring at her, so she jokingly goes “What are you staring at?” Sometimes she’ll put on a silly face when taking a photo as well.

Interviewer: You’ve been selected for the 9th single senbatsu and placed in the middle of the 2nd row.

Hikaru: Honestly, I feel like I want to know the basis for why I was chosen for that position, but I have no choice but to think for myself. I was told by Takahiro-sensei, “I want you to be able to have a shining presence through a performance that only you can do.”I want to put everything I’ve got into showing what I’m capable of.

Interviewer: Is there anything within you that’s changed this past year?

Hikaru: I think I’ve been able to look at myself more objectively than before. Before entering Keyakizaka46, I always passed the days in the same manner, but now I have the privilege of doing different work every day. It’s really been so fun. From my family as well, they’ve begun to tell me “You’ve become so cheerful.”

-------

Translated by fuyupz
QC by toomuchidea
Raw @ weibo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1