Takemoto Yui x Fujiyoshi Karin interview (Big One Girls No. 54 January 2020)


On December 12th of the previous year, an Omitatekai was held at Nippon Budokan. One year has passed since the 9 second generation members were introduced to the public. How do your impressions of each other now compare with those of back then?

Fujiyoshi (F): They haven't changed.

Takemoto (T): I feel that we've been together since the start, but that might be so.

Do you remember when you first met?

T: I do! It was the final audition.

F: (laughs)

T: Before the final audition, there was SHOWROOM judging, right? I was number 48, and Fujiyoshi was number 66, but since Fujiyoshi was number 66, she was called Roro-chan. (TL note: roku roku) And, at the audition location, we just happened to meet. I thought, 'ah, it's Roro-chan,' but then, it seems like pictures were taken where she had her name plate put on upside down, making it 99. I said to the staff, "Excuse me. Number 66 is upside down…" That was Karin and my first meeting. (laugh)

F: I did do that, didn't I? (laugh)

How was Yui-chan like then, Karin-chan?

F: Honestly, I don't remember. Stuff like her having watched me, I only knew afterwards.

T: When was it that we properly talked… Ah! It was when we were in the same group during lessons. The thinking thing.

F: Do you mean the one about space?

T: Yes.

F: We did activities in groups with various people. During that time, we were together.

T: From there, I think we somehow talked to each other, but I don't remember how we became close enough to go out to eat together with the two of us. I wonder why?

F: I don't know.

But when you realized, you were going out to eat yakiniku together.

F: Yes. Samgyeopsal. (laugh)

T: We go, right? (laugh)

F: When we work together, a lot of times, one of us ends up saying something like, "don't you want to eat samgyeopsal?"

When one looks at you two during photo shoots, one would think that you get along, but what do you like about each other?

F: The part where we have the same tastes in food.

T: That? (laugh)

F: After all, they are the same. (laugh)

T: But they really are the same. From the very start, the things we thought we wanted to eat and the things we thought we wanted to try eating were the same. We would be like, "then, let's go eat," and end up going to eat together. Afterwards, we weren't too careful around each other.

Can you tell me about each other's character?

T: Karin seems quiet, doesn't she? The fans probably think so too. In reality, she is quiet, but she actually gets quite wild. (Tl note: frolicks around, gets into high spirits, makes merry, etc. Can't think of a good wording)

F: I only do that when I'm with Yui! (laugh)

T: She laughs a lot and talks in a loud voice. When the two of us are together, I feel like she often gets excited over stupid things.

What's Yui-chan's character?

F: She gets excited when she's with Matsuda (Rina)-chan (laugh). She chitter-chatters. She's the most high school girl-ish.

Also, is there is any part of each other that  you think is nice?

T: Her style. She's tall and slim, so I think, 'Wow, she has good style.'

F: It's her communication skills. I still can't talk to our senpai myself, but Yui talks to them a lot, so I'm envious of that. I want her to share some of her ability with me.

Are you shy?

F: Actually, I am. However, I earnestly think that. I definitely have to talk to them myself too. Someone comes up to me and says the first words. It's just that I really like talking about myself after someone talks to me once.

Karin-chan, starting the conversation yourself…

F: It's definitely impossible. (laugh)

Then, once more, it's been almost one year since Keyakizaka46's second generation was introduced.

T: Soon, it'll be one year since we were told "You are Keyakizaka46's second generation." (The interview was in the first ten days of November.) Ah, that's right. Not before the public.

T: That's right. It was before it had been conveyed to everyone. (tl note: aka the public) November 10th was the day we were told, "From today onwards, you will be doing activities as members of Keyakizaka46." Thoughts that 'already one year has passed' exist. Thoughts that 'only one year has passed' also exist. It was incredibly deep.

How was this one year for you, Karin-chan?

F: I don't know how to feel. 'It was short, yet it was long?' It felt like that.

T: But I was filled with strong feelings. On November 10, for the first time, the 9 members (of Keyakizaka46's second generation) were called. We only knew who the members were when we entered the room, and when we did, it was the first time the 9 of us met face to face. We gathered in one room in the hotel that night and ate together. I remember talking about how "let's do our best from now on." There are times when it really feels like something from 3-4 years ago. There are also times when it feels like it just happened.

F: For me, I'm from Osaka. In Osaka, I would do the same things everyday. If I had to say if it was fun or not, it was fun, but with everyday the same, I would occasionally think, 'What am I doing…' However, since entering Keyakizaka46, everyday has been different. There are photo shoots for magazines. There are various things I can so such as shows or live performances, so it's the most fun.

No matter what you did, there were lots of firsts, right?

T: That's right. I think I've been able to experience one after another things I hadn't experienced before and wouldn't have experienced with the way my life was heading.

You may be unable to choose, but can you tell me a good memory or unforgettable scene from this year for you personally?

T: Of course everything is unforgettable, but Keyaki Republic was especially fun among them all. Keyakizaka46 has lots of cool songs, so a lot of them are integrated into the live performances. But Keyaki Republic is outdoors. You can see the faces of the audience all the way to the back. Because of that I felt “Ah now I can communicate,” I thought I wanna get closer and closer to them (audience). Then, I don’t have good memories (of it), but I get the impression of a song contest. Even though it’s our first performance with senpai, I think that time will be unforgettable for a lifetime.

That was a lot of reflection points, or something similar?

T: Of course reflection point too. Even though now if we’re looking back it’s a very terrible dance, (and) at that time we haven’t talked to most of senpai. It was really frightening, we really feel regretful but the senpais saved that day. Although we entered (the group) so sudden, they do so far that they rubbed our back up until the song started. From now on that first performance in Utakon  will be an unforgettable thing.

Because of it, there’s a feeling to keep learning.

T: That’s right, if the senpais weren’t there, I think we wouldn’t be up to this point. Of course there are family, friend’s support, support from back home, and also support from staff. But things like words or actions from our senpai to the 2nd gen had been really helped, so I think that we must grow big enough so we can someday return the favor

How about Karin-chan?

F: Although there were difficult things, I got a really happy feeling from it.  Keyaki Republic was a fun, live (concert) too. But still Tokyo Dome was special.

In such a special place, was there a thing/happening that gave you a special impression?

F: It’s Fukyouwaon. I was happy because I’ve always wanted to perform it.

On the 2nd year, it’s not about being independent but also to fly without senpai’s support, so to say.

T: Yeah, it really is. Because everything is new, we were taught about the things we can’t do from zero for a year. On the 2nd year, I wonder if I should be able to do all things myself. My thought is both the speed to learn and to understand should be quicken and up to speed. On this first year I got pretty close to the senpais so that on my 2nd year I can do my best by myself.

That means from the upcoming year 2020 on, on what things do want to develop, to grow, and to enhance?

F:  When we’re doing a live show, the 2nd gen isn’t participating in all the songs. I always think that someday we will perform with our senpais all the songs together.

T: Doing things like reflection or looking back, I began to understand to understand that I am not confident. Sometimes I despise my performance when it’s not impressive. Those who maintain themselves an impressive dance, sing, and speech will shine as expected. I can’t stand on stage while holding my feelings close.

That’s because you’re not used to it…

T: Deep inside, I think I haven’t given enough effort. If I keep practicing until I’m really satisfied, I should be able to say [Hey, look at me] without thinking much. As it hasn’t been done yet is just because of lack of effort. I think that’s something I can change. I think my goal in 2020 is to be able to stand on stage impressively.

With the release of 9th single this winter, you’ve been chosen as senbatsu members . Please tell us again your feeling now.

F: Talking about my standing position , I’m happy that I’ve got a place there. Because it’s scary to think that the chosen 2nd gen might collapse the Keyakizaka46 that the senpais have built, we hope we don’t collapse it. However, because I want to bring the 2nd gen personality a bit, I’ll do my best as senbatsu member while thinking about it. Just like singing the song, but when doing it live, I often think of its dance so I can convey the charm of the song. I think that it is what “Karin-like” the most, That’s why right now I’m thinking of learning more about dancing.

Did you like dancing?

F: I learned it when I was on my senior year during elementary school, but at that time I didn’t like it. Because I was at the really bad category, it was not fun at all. But now it’s really fun. That’s why now I’ll do my best.

How about Yui-chan?

T: I was saved by the words of my senpais when I was anxious that I shouldn’t think about it, or when I felt that I was afraid of it unconsciously. [Let’s do our best together], I’m holding feeling to these words. The senpais surely have a lot of thoughts and we can feel that way about us. Thinking that the 2nd gen entered senbatsu  was not because of their ability but rather given the chance. So I asked my fans to convince me that “That’s why Takemoto is on this position (in formation).” I want to keep that in mind.

Please give a message to those who support you.

F: Thank you for always supporting me. Before live (concert), I read letters and messages sent by my fans, but it’s warm words like “a’ight let’s do our best!”, so I’m really impressed. “It’s okay if Karin-chan do what Karin-chan likes” made me feel easier and made me think, “Ah right. Because I will do my best my way, so from now on please keep supporting me.

T: I’m sure that fans had a lot of feelings about the arrival of 2nd gen. There aren’t many places to express this kind of gratitude, but because the fans welcomed me warmly, thinking that 9 people have come this far, I want to keep holding the feeling that “I am grateful to be (member of) Keyakizaka46.” I’d be happy if from now on you can watch over us as you give your support

Last thing. Please tell us what the two of you want to do in the future.

F: Travel!

T: I want to go on a trip. Overseas is nice but it'd be great to relax in a ryokan. Then, I want to go to eat delicious food.

F: You told me you want to go to Hokkaido.

T: Yeah. When it comes to 2 people are going somewhere, because I think food is the intention, I want to go to places where food is delicious.

---

Translated by: shinoki & subject18
QC: toomuchidea
Raw @ weibo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1