Lives that challenge body and soul (Ishimori Nijika x Ozeki Rika, Entame May 2020)

Image

Keyakizaka46 that became more gentle after the 2nd generation joined


Keyakizaka46, since its formation, has always had dense days. Especially the period from 2019 to 2020 was a particularly fulfilling period up to now.

Ishimori: It sure is.

In fact, what was the biggest difference from your previous activities?

Ishimori: I think I've done a lot of live performances up until now, but I have a personal memory of doing more than that last year. After all, I think the Tokyo Dome is the big one.

Ozeki: It was also the year I spent a lot of time with the 2nd generation. From winter a year before last year (2018) we participated together on singing programs, and we were really joining our activities together in April during Anniversary Live from Osaka. Because of it, I wonder if last year was when Keyakizaka46 started to change bit by bit.

Ishimori: Last year was the first time for the 2nd generation to fill graduated members’ position and perform live. Because of it, the rehearsals were fulfilling, which may lead to many stories.

It’s a bit like building Keyakizaka46 again, though it's not.

Ishimori: Yeah, I wonder if it was the time for us to regain the parts we had forgotten.

In fact, Keyakizaka46 in 2019 has 21 solo shows.

Ishimori: Last year, we did Anniversary Live in Osaka and Tokyo, but I feel like we did more. From March to May, I have a strong feeling that’s when we were performing live.

Ozeki: When there’s no live, we did rehearsals right?

Ishimori: That’s why I think the impression of this year’s live performances is so strong.

Ozeki: The image of dancing all the time.

Ishimori: It was constantly since around February until Tokyo Dome, right?

Moreover, each setlist is different. That's why for the first gen members, the view that the second gen members entered the position of the graduated members might have been fresh.

Ishimori: I still feel that way. During the first verse of Futari Saison, when I walked around the back, I noticed the member passing by had changed from the member it used to be. “Ah, that’s right”, I was taken aback. For Fukyouwaon too, originally Imaizumi Yui was in front of me but now it’s changed to Takemoto Yui. The height of the members in front of me has grown a little, so the scene I see is different. It's been four years, and I thought “obviously nothing lasts forever”. If I do not stand on the stage with confidence, I won’t get what I want to deliver, so I hope that I can accept the changes firmly and do a stage with confidence with the 2nd generation who are doing their best.

Ozeki, how do you feel about the changes?

Ozeki: In many ways, I feel that the mood has become very gentle. Even if we are performing  live or if we are in the dressing room, everyone is brighter than when we were only the first generation.

Ishimori: It’s pretty chattery, right?

Ozeki: Yeah, the image of always laughing is very strong. There is something really fresh, something in the 2nd generation that the 1st generation doesn’t have. So if there’s Keyakizaka46 that’s been made up to now, there is also a new Keyakizaka46 by the introduction of the 2nd generation. So, I personally think that the total image has become really gentle.

Ishimori: Also, their MC during the live helped me. They are good at making the crowd excited, and I think it was great that everyone could talk with the same tension. Among us, the 1st generation, there are those who are for better or worse is quiet -- or rather, there are many who tend to shrink when we are in front of people. In the dressing room, they had a lot of fun coming up with MCs, and they helped us a lot in that area.

By doing so, I think the talking skills of the 1st generation are gradually increasing.

Ishimori: Is that right?

Ozeki: I wonder (laughs).

I felt especially the growth of both of you during live.

Ozeki: But personally, I’m worried about not growing.

Ishimori: This is probably a lifetime task (laughs).

Ozeki: Recently I think that it is linked to the atmosphere and attitude of MC on variety shows. From Nogizaka46 to Hinatazaka46, I often watch the three programs of other Sakamichi in a row, but I feel strongly there (linked to the atmosphere and attitude). For example, members of Hinatazaka46 are all reacting when someone is talking. However, Keyakizaka46 feels like it because everyone listens quietly.

Ishimori: But the mood on “Keyakitte, Kakenai?” (TV Tokyo) has changed a lot, right?

Ozeki: I wonder if it has become brighter than before.

Ishimori: Positiveness has also started to grow.

Ozeki: Like being good at playing along.

How is it that the 1st generation is influenced by how the goodness of the 2nd generation’s flow?

Both: (Bitter smile).

No, then? (laughs).

Ishimori: The other day Captain Sugai (Yuuka) told everyone, "Let’s do our best a little more," but I think those words were probably addressed to the 1st generation.

Ozeki: I understand but I don't understand the flow well (bitter smile).

Ishimori: Everyone thinks that “we must do it properly”. No matter how long it takes, I can't get my confidence up.

Ozeki: It’s about time we graduate from it (laughs).

Kouhaku with maximum strength


How about the performance, then? The 2nd generation learned what the 1st generation had accumulated over 4 years in such a short period, I think you’ve seen that effort up close.

Ishimori: Now the 2nd generation can do all songs. During busy times, they always watch training videos and do image training (shadow dance) while on the move. Their intention is that they want to take a little bit more time to practice thoroughly.

Ozeki: They can remember many times faster than us. If it was me, I don’t think I could do it.

Ishimori: Moreover, they’re getting better and better. Personally, I think (Tamura) Hono’s performance skill is improving amazingly. She is really growing when comparing the recent “Ambivalent” performance to the first time she came into the position next to mine (in Ambivalent).

Ozeki: From the perspective of the 2nd generation, they were very concerned about joining a group that had been operating with only the 1st generation for a long time. However, as more live performances have been done, I personally think that the gap has disappeared, and more 2nd generation members are getting involved with us more often.

It’s only a hindsight-based opinion, but I think that instead of having everyone uniting from being involved in the making of singles, you started from joining from live performances which is very important for Keyakizaka46. Perhaps that was the period when you were able to convey “Keyakizaka46-likeness” in an easy-to-understand form.

Ishimori: I think there was a lot of pressure put on them. Last year, we did Tokyo Dome and Kouhaku together, and it’s not my place to say this, but I thought it was really amazing. I felt that everyone was so strong that I couldn't let myself be defeated.

It was announced that you’ll perform Fukyouwaon in Kouhaku after 2 years (since 2017). I got the impression that this is a 4 years culmination of activity, including the Tokyo Dome.

Ishimori: At the end of last year, especially after Kohaku was over, I felt that I had summoned all the strength I had until now. It was more like I had summoned four years' worth of strength rather than one year of 2019.

Ozeki: There was a feeling we’re going all-out, right?

Ishimori: That’s why, after the new year I was really tired. It might be great to end the year with Fukyouwaon, but I felt that I’ve used all my strength.

What’s different about it?

Ishimori: On the contrary, during Tokyo Dome I sensed that “so, this is the start huh” when we’re doing it together with the 2nd generation. But every year…

Ozeki: It’s dense right.

Ishimori: Yeah, there’s a different feeling. There’s a strange feeling, right?

There have been graduations of members since the beginning of the year, but this April 6th you enter the 5th year of debut. What kind of year do you think it will be from here?

Ozeki: I want to have a very hard year. For me personally, I feel that the summer 2017, when we had our first tour, was the hardest. There were drama shootings, the tour, appearing in festivals, and many more… That’s why now by wanting to do live, like almost everyday, I have a firm thought that I really want to make it really fulfilling. And the number of members will increase, so it's not like we're going to start again, but we intend to start again from scratch.

Ishimori: I also hope that this year is going to be a hard year with sleepless days, but I personally wish this year would be the year where I could do a lot of things. Of course activities with Keyakizaka46 are important, and I have to make things more exciting this year, but I think it would be good if I could find something in it that is unique to me, something like that.

Ozeki: But maybe this 5th year is the most unimaginable year.

Ishimori: I've never been able to see too far ahead, but from here on out.....

Ozeki: Let’s do our best to be better and better!

To all the fans who always support us
I will do my best to show you a lot of new Keyakizaka46
And my new self in the fifth year!!
Let's liven it up together
-- Ishimori Nijika

Stay tuned
For Keyakizaka’s 5th year!!
-- Ozeki Rika

--------------------------------------------------------------

Tl: subject18
QC: SatoneShichi, toomuchidea
Raw @ Weibo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1