Watanabe Risa Interview with Livedoor News (2nd April 2020)


Sometimes, idols sacrifice their emotions -- Keyakizaka46’s Watanabe Risa’s “change” and “determination”

In January 2020, Hirate Yurina withdrew from Keyakizaka46. The shock is still fresh in memory.

Ever since she served as Center for the 2016 debut single “Silent Majority” at the young age of 14 years old, she has been the immoveable Center for all of the singles. With her overwhelming presence she has created the atmosphere of many songs, and her charismatic presence created Keyakizaka46’s image as “a top Idol group who encapsulates anti-Idolness”. The world shook greatly because of Hirate’s withdrawal.

"What exactly happened to Keyakizaka46? And what will happen to the group in the future?"

As an answer to these questions, the group's first documentary film, "Our Lies and Truth: DOCUMENTARY of Keyakizaka46," will soon be released. This film will be an important work for many fans as it approaches the real-life image of Hirate Yurina and Keyakizaka46 from the recorded footage and newly recorded interviews with the members.

Livedoor News conducted a solo interview with Risa Watanabe. One of the highlights, without a doubt, is the scene in which she, who has played an active role as a front member in many of the singles, carefully forms words while thinking of Hirate, with whom she had also interacted with in private.

What is the "change" of Hirate which Risa Watanabe saw? And what of her own growth that she has gained in her four years in Keyakizaka46, and the future of the group? Even though she was sometimes at a loss, she answered our questions head on. 

----

How did you feel when you were informed that a documentary film about Keyakizaka46 was going to be released?

Hmm ... What we have shown to our fans so far is the “result” of many things that have happened. I didn't think that the process or behind the scenes was something to show, and I didn't think it was necessary to be shown.

However, I thought that the public's impression of us was often misunderstood, so the release of the documentary film is a chance to clear up those misconceptions, and if there are people who have a bad image of us, I would be happy to dispel that image.

The film is structured to get to know Hirate Yurina through interviews with the members. Moriya Akane said that she felt uncomfortable with Hirate from the time of the 3rd single "Futari Sezon" and that she became unable to understand Hirate from the time of the 4th single "Fukyouwaon", but during that time, did Watanabe-san have the same impression?

At that time, what I thought of Hirate was, “She’s fully expressing herself as the protagonist to create the song”. So I never thought anything had changed. But now, looking back, I think there was something strange around the middle of "Futari Sezon". And during the time of "Fukyouwaon" I thought, "She has a different atmosphere from the time of debut",... So, I also felt what Moriya said in that interview.

What do you think happened to Hirate-san during that time, what did she feel, and what has changed?

Hmmm… There was the “Boku wa yada!” line from “Fukyouwaon”, and I think there was a lot of sympathy for the meaning of the song. Of course, "Silent Majority", "Sekai ni wa Ai Shika Inai", and "Futari Sezon" all also have strong messages, so she has always put a lot of emphasis on "conveying", but more than that, I think that “Fukyouwaon” has a lot of overlap with what Hirate has felt in her life so far, and I personally think that's how it came to be like that.

In other words, rather than “changed because of Keyakizaka46”, what she’s been carrying for a long time has come to the surface?

I had a feeling that maybe that was it.

I think Keyakizaka46 is a group that has gathered a variety of talents, but there was a part where no matter what, Hirate-san was in the spotlight. Even in this movie, there is a scene in which Hirate-san is dancing solo when shooting the MV, "Sekai ni wa Ai Shika Nai", and the other members are watching with complicated expressions. For Kobayashi Yui, she was shedding something like tears of regret.

Hirate carries something so amazing that the members around her can't help but gaze at her. I was chosen as a frontliner for "Sekai ni wa Ai Shika Nai" and it was there that I had my first experience of shooting lip-sync scenes, but at the time of "Silent Majority", Hirate had shown incredible expressiveness despite only being an ordinary girl until recently. When I saw the finished version of that MV, I remember thinking, "She really is amazing girl”.

In recent years, Watanabe-san and Hirate-san have gone out together in private, and talked in the project of the magazine "non-no" in which Watanabe is an exclusive model, there was an impression that you were were close. What kind of existence is Hirate-san to you, Watanabe-san?

Hirate has been leading the group as the Center since the 1st single, and she has created the opportunity for us to establish the individuality of Keyakizaka46.  So, to us, she was a really important presence.

But on the other hand, there was a part of her that was appropriate for her age, and when she wasn't performing, she had a sense of innocence that liked to have fun and goof around. I was hoping that I could bring that part out of her, but...

What are some of your happy memories with Hirate-san?

We went to a theme park together among other things but Hirate would mostly talk about the group at those times. Every time we had a conversation, I thought to myself, "She really does put the group first”.

So it’s not like “we don't talk about the group just because it's our private time” (laughs)

There really was a lot of conversation about the group (laughs). Hirate cares about each and every member of the group, and even if she doesn't talk with the girl directly, from their presence she can tell, “It seems like she's feeling depressed…”. I think there are some girls who were helped or saved by that part of Hirate.

In the movie, there was a scene during the group cheer before a live performance where Hirate-san shouted “Don’t think of yourself as an idol!”. I was surprised by it. Is that a customary cheer?

It’s from quite some time ago, right? I don’t remember at all...

According to the staff, it is a video from early on.

I see… In recent group cheers, it's been a standard practice for Sugai (Yuuka) to say how she feels at the time or what we need to do, and Moriya (Akane) to give voice to show her enthusiasm. I didn't remember it at all, so now I’m surprised to know that Hirate has said something like that. Even from that early on, she wanted to overturn the impression people have of an "idol".

Watching the old footage, how do you think you've changed over the past four years, Watanabe-san?

Myself… I wonder what… In the early days, I thought that I was not in the position to lead. I thought it was my role to support the amazing members from behind. But as four years have passed, I think that little by little, there will be situations where I have to lead the way.

The situation has changed, including the graduation or withdrawal of members, and the addition of 2nd generation members.

I think the real challenge lies in the future, so I need to take action so that I can pull them in the right direction, even if it’s just a little bit.

Even at the present time, Watanabe-san is a key member who takes the lead in modeling and other outside work.

No, not at all...

Have you ever been told “You’ve changed” by your family or hometown friends who have known Watanabe-san before you joined Keyakizaka46?

I don't really get told that I've changed much. It's kind of embarrassing, isn't it, to be told that...

That’s cool, very Watanabe-san like (laughs)

I think they know that I have that kind of personality, and they support me without saying anything (laughs).

In the magazine "non-no", you co-star with Nishino Nanase-san, who is also an exclusive model. Have you ever received any advice from Nishino-san, a former member of Nogizaka46, as a senior idol?

I really want to talk to her about that, I want to go out and have a meal together with her. Of course, the group atmosphere of Nogizaka46 and us are different, but I'm sure there's still something to learn, so I'd like to hear about it from Nishino-san. But the situation is that I haven’t reached out to her yet... (laughs)

In an interview scene in the movie, when Watanabe-san talked about Hirate-san’s activities, you said “I think we have to make sacrifices…”. The interviewer then asked “Sacrifice what?”, to which you answered “... emotions?”.

Eh, I don’t remember that (laughs).

Eh, it was a really great scene.

I’m sorry….

Don’t worry about it (laughs). That interview was about Hirate-san, but I think it was a statement that shows that idol activity is a job that requires sacrificing something more or less. Even so, what is the driving force behind Watanabe-san’s continued activities with Keyakizaka46?

Eeh, I wonder what… Driving force… But I think that an idol can't survive without the fans who support them. I’m sometimes told things that may or may not be true, but if there's one person who supports me, I would like to do my best for that person. As long as I have people who support me, I want to respond to what is being asked of me.

Lastly, I would like to ask you about the future. With Hirate-san's withdrawal and the release of this documentary film, it seems like Keyakizaka46 has reached a major milestone. Have you discussed with the members what you would like to do with the group in the future?

At this point, we haven't yet been able to have that kind of discussion in depth. But I feel like we have really completed the first chapter, and I think it's up to us to decide what will happen to Keyakizaka46 from now on, so I'd like to do my best without losing momentum.

I look forward to seeing what kind of Keyakizaka46 you will show us  in the future.

Thank you very much

---

Translation: toomuchidea
QC: ichikabachika
Source (more pictures here!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1