Matsuda Rina interview in B.L.T July 2020

   

Interviewer: How have you been passing your time at home?

Marina: I’ve been trying to go to bed early and wake up early so I can keep living a regular life. I’ve also been doing stretches and weight training more than before. This is just my personal preference, but I feel like a day is better spent waking up early rather than staying up until late.

Interviewer: Have you tried starting anything new during this period?

Marina: Yeah that... I haven’t (lol). I’ve been doing my weight training intently, but having said that it’s not that my body’s become well-trained. I’ve really been trying as hard as I can though. I’ve also wanted to start playing guitar, but I don’t own one yet. Whenever I find one I think is good, it ends up that it’s not being sold anymore and it’s like I have to start my search from the beginning.

Interviewer: But that... weren’t you playing guitar on your debut VTR on 「Keyakitte, Kakenai?」?

Marina: But that’s not something where I can puff out my chest and proudly say “I can play guitar!” I haven’t gotten anything down but basic chords and simple strokes, so I’d like to learn a lot of chords, be able to make difficult chord changes, and keep improving until I feel I’m at a level where I can show it off.

Interviewer: It seems Inoue Rina-san has also started playing guitar, so what do you think about starting “Rinachanzu” with her?

Marina: Ehhh~! Well before this period of time that we’re refraining from going out, Inoue and I often talked about wanting to harmonize with each other. So back then we tried to improvise singing together and it was surprising how well we were able to be in sync. Now we’re spending all our time at home, so I was thinking there’s no way we could do it, but we each recorded a video of ourselves singing. When I tried playing them together, somehow they seriously matched up (lol).

Interviewer: I already can’t help but expect “Rinachanzu” to form from this (lol).

Marina: Eehh, do you think so? I don’t know if it’s ok for me to name it something like “Rinachanzu” though… Assuming we do somehow form a unit, I’d want to try thinking up lots of possibilities for a name! (lol)

Interviewer: I hope you’ll consider it positively. By the way, have you been in touch with anyone other than Inoue-san?

Marina: That’s uh, I don’t really talk on the phone very much. There’s been some back and forth with (Morita) Hikaru and Inoue, but I don’t feel like I’ve been proactive about calling anybody.

Interviewer: Ah, so it’s like that. You’re someone who doesn’t do well talking over the phone?

Marina: Generally, I think I’m the type that rather meet face to face and talk to people directly, so yes, I think I’m also just not very good at talking on the phone. Ah, by saying something like this maybe I’ll end up not getting calls from anyone (lol). Somehow I don’t know the timing for when to end the call. I feel like it’s hard for me to hang up, so it’s nice when the other person hangs up with good timing (lol).

Interviewer: Certainly, knowing when to hang up might be difficult. Do you feel like you really want to meet with the members as soon as you’re able to though?

Marina: Yes, rather than keeping in touch over the phone, I’d like to meet with everybody directly soon. Sometimes I’ll think about sending something to the 2ki group LINE, but in the end it stops at just thinking about it... (lol).

Interviewer: I hope the day you’re able to meet with them comes soon. Not just the members, but fans, press, etc as well… Speaking of which, have you been sending anything to the fans?

Marina: Yeah, lately on our messaging app (mobame) I’ve been answering questions from the fans and sending videos that are nothing special. Normally I send selfies, videos and such, but I’ve been trying to send more than usual as much as I can while we’re trying to stay indoors. I’ve posted screenshots from when I’m on video call with Inoue on my blog as well, but now I’m thinking about sending videos with other members as well.

Interviewer: You’re trying to convey your thoughts even though you’re limited in how you can express them, right?

Marina: More or less, yeah. I put my own spin on it, but since not many creative ideas have been coming to mind, I’ve really been relying on the fans (lol). I’ve been answering questions I’m sent one by one and I’ve also gotten a lot of letters making requests like “How about doing something like this?” so I’ve been thinking I want to meet those requests within the limitations of what I’m able to do. I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to meet with everyone directly for a long time. Naturally it’s felt lonely, so right now I’d like to express my gratitude to everyone who’s been messaging me directly via the app for giving me energy. I’m truly grateful and think I feel your efforts.

Interviewer: With the time we’re spending alone getting longer, there are many things we think about and notice. How has it been for you?

Marina: There’s lots of time now, so since up until now I haven’t really thrown myself into weight training for an extended period of time, I’m really realizing the importance and difficulty of it. Face and figure are important for actresses, models, and other idols, but I think they’re all going to the extremes to put effort into working on their skills in singing and dancing as well. Then when I thought about myself, the way I felt is that I should really become more stoic. It’s not something that seems substantial, but I’m thinking, shouldn’t I be improving myself in some way as well?

Interviewer: For sure, you’re right. I imagine your thoughts about the members and Keyakizaka46 itself have intensified as well, how about that?

Marina: With the timing of the new 2ki joining into this different system for doing our work activities, I haven’t been able to talk to the 6 of them at all. Ordinarily I’d probably get to know them by talking and doing things together during rehearsal. The way things are, there’s nothing I can do to be able to feel like “We’re a team!” Being unable to spend time in high spirits with the other 2ki has been lonely. It shows the importance everyone has to me. Just as it felt like the distance between us and 1ki-san had shortened to a good point, we weren’t able to meet with each other anymore, and it has me wondering, next time we’re gathered together, what should I do if it feels like we’re acting reserved around each other again… those are the kinds of things I’ve been wondering about by myself.

Interviewer: When this time we’re refraining from going out is over, what do you want to do?

Marina: First, I’d like to dye my hair again (lol). I want to do that, go shopping carefree, and go hang out with the other members. Above all, I want to do lots of Keyaki LIVEs. I’m looking forward to when that day comes, but for now while we cherish the spirit of compassion and consideration for a little while longer, I’ll be doing my best.

---

Translation: fuyupz
Raw @ weibo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1