Moriya Rena interview blt graph. vol. 58

 Image

She said that she is the type that supports the team from behind, rather than leading at the front. However, listening to her brilliant and powerful words, I was convinced that a new bud is beginning to sprout.


During the new 2nd gen MC part in the online live performance held the other day, you were given the role of moderator, weren’t you?


Rena: I wondered if it’s okay for me, someone who is unreliable, to be the moderator. I wondered if it’s not more interesting to have (Masumoto) Kira-chan or (Ozono) Rei-chan instead. But I handled the MC for a little bit during the “Sakamichi Trainee Tour”, so I feel that that experience has been put into good use


You looked confident and reliable.


Rena: Thank you very much. I was often told “You are reliable” by the other trainee members, but my high school friends treat me like a younger sister. The truth is that all I’ve done is rely on my friends, so I’m not aware that I’m a dependable person at all (laughs)


It was announced during the online live performance that Keyakizaka46 will be renamed. That was also the first live performance for the new 2nd gen, so how did you feel on that day?


Rena: When I first heard about the name change, I was so surprised my mind went blank. It was a shock for us who just recently entered the group, so it's unfathomable to imagine the feelings of the seniors who created the history of Keyakizaka since the beginning and have been protecting it until now. During the performance, there was a scene where the “KEYAKIZAKA46” letters were erased with paint. Even though I’m only looking at the seniors through the monitor… To be honest, there were indescribable feelings of loneliness and sadness, like “Oh, we really are closing the curtain”. But right now, the seniors are looking toward the future, so my feelings have switched to the excitement of “What kind of group we will be in the future?”


How did Moriya-san feel when listening to Captain Sugai talk about the renaming in MC?


Rena: I think that it must be a big decision for the seniors, and I truly can’t imagine how they really feel about it. After we entered Keyakizaka in February we went straight into stay-at-home period, and having done very few activities as part of the group, we reached the turning point before truly feeling that we were members of Keyakizaka… However, by experiencing live performances and the recording of our regular TV program, I am becoming more and more aware that I really am a member of Keyakizaka


How do you feel about “Dare ga sono kane wo narasu no ka?” as Keyakizaka's last single?


Rena: We are allowed to participate in the song, but at first there was also the feeling of “Is it really okay?”. To tell you the truth however, I was simply happy. That is why the desire to cherish this song has grown stronger by the day.


The last live performance as Keyakizaka46 is scheduled for October. Is there any song in particular that you want to perform?


Rena: I like “Eccentric”s performance, so I’d like to try dancing it in a cool way. Also, while I was able to perform “Sekai ni wa Ai Shika Inai” during the Sakamichi Trainee Tour, I do feel that I'd like to perform the song as a member of Keyakizaka46 after all. We new 2nd gen members were able to make a few appearances on the online live performance the other day, but our seniors' performances have been so powerful since the rehearsals that my eyes were fixed on them before I knew it. Even during the production, the seniors’ singing voices and breaths could be heard from the in-ear monitor. Hearing their voices calling out to each other, I was once again overwhelmed by their passion and the intensity of emotions for each song. It felt so amazing that I got goosebumps, so at Keyakizaka’s last live I’d like to stand on the stage with my seniors for as long as possible


Then, what is a song that you would simply like to see?


Rena: “Taiyou wa Miageru Hito wo Erabanai”, which I also participated in the online live performance. With a choreography that is like saying “Go ahead” by the seniors’, the new 2nd gen entered the formation, and that scene is truly unforgettable… It has become a song filled with a special memory-- I ended up talking about what song I want to perform, huh? (laughs)


Not at all, I think that you were able to convey it as you expected. Well then, please name again Keyaki songs that you truly like.


Rena: I love “Seifuku to Taiyou”. Because I've been saved by listening to the song whenever I've felt worried or lost, and when things have felt a little difficult.


The lyrics resonate with you, I’m sure. Then, how do you perceive the meaning of “Dare ga Sono Kane wo Narasu no Ka?” that new 2nd gen also participated in?


Rena: I think that there is a very deep meaning in the timing of when 1st gen, 2nd gen, and new 2nd gen comes out to the front and in the formation. I felt that the lyrics and the choreography are really linked together… When I heard Takahiro-sensei’s explanation of how in the last pose where we let go of the Keyaki pose, we raise our heads to express our will to take the next step, I came to realize that there are many things that I didn’t realize from my own interpretation. I thought that Keyaki's performances are truly "deep", and that I was able to grasp its true meaning.


Keyakizaka46 will be closing this chapter of its history and going down a new path. What kind of presence does Moriya Rena want to be?


Rena: I may have a shorter height compared to the many tall members, but I hope to be able to show my presence. By being aware of the size of my movements, improving my expressiveness, I hope to perform in ways that would catch the attention of people who are watching… While taking in various experiences along the way, I will do my best until I come to a result I am satisfied with

---

Translator: toomuchidea

QC: Cirrus

Raw: karl_k46


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1