Uemura Rina Interview in MARQUEE Vol. 140




The Beginning of Sakurazaka46

Over the past 5 years, they have gone from the fierce wind of “Keyakizaka46” to the white cherry blossom in full bloom of “Sakurazaka46”. From the decision of changing the name of “Keyakizaka46” to the announcement of the group name “Sakurazaka46”, what kind of feelings did Uemura Rina spend her days with? In the regional performances in Miyagi, Kanagawa, Osaka, and Fukuoka that began in August 2019, Uemura Rina, who served as the center of the songs “Kimi wo mou sagasanai” and “Mou Mori e Kaerou ka?” has been a member of the group since the beginning as a 1st generation member and at times has borne the heavy-duty of being the center. She recalls her initial negative attitude towards the name change, and through reading fan letters, had a change of heart and faced forward. She candidly talked about the changes to the new group and her expectations for it.


Please tell me your honest reaction when you heard of the name change and how do you feel about it now?

Uemura: I was surprised when I heard we were changing our name. I was worried because I couldn't see the future of the group beyond the name change. But when we got an explanation about the reason for the name change and what we were going to do afterward, and heard that Hinata-chan (Hinatazaka46 whose previous name was Hiragana Keyakizaka46) had accepted the name change, which is now playing a big role in their career, I thought, “Yes, that's true”. Gradually, it made more sense.


Since the name change was made after five years of history, it wasn't a pure start, so how do you feel about the meaning behind the name change?

Uemura: Hmm… Nonetheless, I thought “that’s one way”. Half of me was frustrated while the other was sad.


Did that frustration comes from not being able to take over the name or from wanting to continue as Keyakizaka46?

Uemura: Yes. But we cannot change what has already been decided. The other members are already facing forward, so I would like to continue working hard with everyone.


What was the mood of the group just before the name change was announced?

Uemura: I couldn’t meet with the members during the self-restraint period. We kept in touch with each other when we were told of the name change, but the atmosphere before that… I don’t really know.


Do you normally keep in touch?

Uemura: We do. But we don't communicate with large groups of people at the same time that often. That might be the first time all 1st generation members have been on the phone at the same time. 


As soon as the 2nd generation joined or when the selection system and the lineup were announced, did you feel that Keyakizaka46 was going to be different from how it was before? At that moment, did you think that Keyakizaka46 was changing little by little? Did you have those thoughts?

Uemura: I did.


When I had the opportunity to interview you last November, it was the same timing as being chosen as a senbatsu member. Did you sense that Keyakizaka46 was changing over the past year?

Uemura: Well, I’m not sure... The number of people in the room has been reduced, and it has changed... Oh, but we talked about our activities more, I guess. Before that, we used to joke around or talk about trivial things. We used to play around, but now it feels like there is less of it.


It goes from cackling to talking about activities more now. That's a big change.

Uemura: Yes (laughs). There has been a lot of “I wonder what's going to happen from now?” talk going on.


So it became like that. But after the name change, the past is reset once again. Within you, has any part been easier for you?

Uemura: No, I don't think so. I talk about this with the members a lot, but even if we graduate someday, the fact that we're “former Keyakizaka members” will remain. Changing the name doesn't mean that our past selves will disappear. In fact, I don't want them to be lost because I want it to remain as a memory in everyone's hearts.


What good aspects did the 2nd generation members give to Keyakizaka46?

Uemura: They're amazing girls, so they inspire me a lot. In something small, the 2nd generation member’s' MCs give me more time to change clothes than before (laughs), which helps me a lot. It's like we've gained a lovely friend.


The number of cute and reliable juniors has increased. From your perspective, what is so great about the 2nd generation members?

Uemura: Being able to dance from the beginning. When we first started, we had lessons using songs that we didn't know nor by Keyakizaka. Then we were given “Silent Majority” as our first. By the time the 2nd generation members joined when we were already doing “Ambivalent” which had a very difficult dance. Within those 9 members, there were girls chosen to perform on a music program. It's like a selection process from the beginning. They were in a very competitive place and we had lessons and rehearsals together. Also, the past live performances took a form where 2nd generation members entered the graduated members’ positions, so they have to remember a lot of songs at once. I don’t think I would have been able to do those things right after I started being an idol. I spent 4 years learning the songs one by one, but they remembered them all in a few weeks. I thought it was amazing.


After the decision to change the name, I think you had a lot of things you talked about among the members, including the second term members. What was the atmosphere when you were told that you would be working under a new name?

Uemura: Right after it was told, everyone was so surprised that we couldn't speak. It was at night already, so I think we went home pretty quickly. I don't think we spoke much at the time.


I guess everyone was not in the mood to talk anymore.

Uemura: I think so. There were also crying members... It was really overwhelming.


It was a night so you went home right away, but on the contrary, there is that reality.

Uemura: Haha. Before we were told explicitly that we were going to change our name, we talked about it with all the members. "I don't want to change our name" or, "I think we should change our name", wasn't something the members could decide, but we all expressed our honest feelings to each other at that time. At that time we didn't have any ideas about what to do after changing our name, so it was really frustrating and sad. Many girls said that “I don’t want to change the name Keyakizaka”. After the name change was clearly explained to us, I think we all just slowly came to “accept it”.


Were you in the "don't want to change your name" camp at that time?

Uemura: Yes.


Did you all feel like everyone was actively sharing your opinions during that discussion?

Uemura:  It did. Also, if someone doesn't talk then we would think, "maybe she has a different opinion?”, and Captain (Sugai Yuuka) would ask “What do you think?”


Was that ever the case with Keyakizaka46?

Uemura: I don't think there was a time when we all had to call everyone on the phone.


The name change was decided, and it was announced at the live broadcast on July 16. When I watched it, I thought you looked uncomfortable, but was there something swirling in your heart around at the time?

Uemura: That’s right. All the memories I've had come back once. After the announcement of the name change, footage of the artist’s photos, videos and other works we've done so far was played, quite a bit of "wow"... I wouldn't say “difficult”, but it was really painful, like “it’s gone…”


How long did it take you to go from that painful feeling to a positive one?

Uemura: It's a wave. When I see those images, I go "ahh...", but if I don't see it, I don't think about it. When we do live performances, I can’t help but remember the songs we've done in the past. However, I guess the discussions after the name change led to its gradual acceptance. It's a gradual process, or rather, I acknowledged it (laughs). After the announcement of our name change, I asked my idol-loving friends “what would you think if your favorite idol were to change her name?” They said, "I'd be surprised if they changed their names, but as long as that idol continues to exist, I'd be happy.” So “that’s how I should feel about the idols I like”. After that, I thought “to do my best from now on”.


What do you want to say to your fans now that you've changed your name?

Uemura: I think a lot of good things will happen when we change our name, so… we’re going to do our best to make it happen, to make good things happen.


What kind of good things do you envision?

Uemura: There were a lot of things I was able to do because I’m in Keyakizaka, but a lot were quite different from other idols. I think we could do things we couldn’t do before.


Do you have a specific idea of what you would like to do?

Uemura: Something like performing at GirisAward, TGC(Tokyo Girls Collection), and so on… In the beginning, we were allowed to perform, but the music was a little heavy…?  Ufufu


In your last CD single, "Kuroi Hitsuji", and all the songs leading up to it, it was more about the song’s worldview rather than expressing yourself. Would you like to try to express yourself in the future?

Uemura: As long as it won’t interfere with my personal life… (laughs). It should only be done during the live and shouldn’t be dragged out...


Was there ever a level of immersion in the song’s worldview that interfered with your personal life?

Uemura: During the live rehearsals, I would look at the lyrics of the songs, and I would cry. And when I went home and saw our footage, I thought "ahh…”


Within you, do you feel the excitement and anxiety of your early days as Keyakizaka46 and Toriizaka46, and with all the possibilities it holds?

Uemura: I don't know the new group yet, so “I wonder what the costumes or songs would be like?” It’s a re-debut, but I can't believe I got to make my debut twice in my life (laughs). That's what I'm looking forward to.


For example, how would you feel if you went the tremendous idol route?

Uemura: "Ehh... I'd be so happy, but hahaha. The gap between us until now is so big, I wonder if people and fans can keep up with us (laughs)


What do world idols look like to you?

Uemura: Nogizaka-san is absolutely on top.


There's Hinatazaka46, and the one in between is... what happens after the rename?

Uemura: Oh... did you think we’ll be Hinatazaka’s junior?


Somehow it became complicated (laughs). What kind of group do you think would be best?

Uemura: I still think it's better to have a group with two sides. We want to retain half of Keyaki's character, but also show a bright side. There are many cheerful unit songs, but I think there are not many people who know such unit songs, so I'd like to show that we can do that too. Ufufu


I thought it would be good to bring brighter songs to the front as well. Do you have any concerns at the moment?

Uemura: Recently I'm getting more realistic (laughs). Will there be senbatsu, if so, will I be selected? I have such worries. The members also talk about that, and it was like, "Oh... that's right…”


For you, do you think it's better not to be selected?

Uemura: That’s difficult. There are more people now than when Keyaki started. I wonder if in reality there are just too many.


On top of having Keyakizaka46, there is also this new group. I also like to hear about how you are working in unison.

Uemura: You can tell from the conversation that everyone is facing forward, and I think a lot of the girls are looking forward to it.


What made you change your mood so much?

Uemura: I read a lot of fan letters, and the words "I'll support you even if you change your name" helped me a lot.


Do you have conversations with other members about what you want to do?

Uemura: Like ”I want to convey a lot of songs.” I want to speed up the release of the singles. Especially since there was such a long gap after “Kuroi Hitsuji”.


What would you do if a dozen songs came out of nowhere?

Uemura: Haha. But I still want to shorten the interval for delivering the new songs.


You have a feeling of still wanting to keep yourselves moving, don't you?

Uemura: Right. If I don't have any activities, I don't have much to say to my fans. I especially felt that during self-restraint. Two groups of the same Sakaimichi series are on a TV show, and I'm at home.


And how did you feel when you heard the name of this new group called "Sakurazaka46"?

Uemura: If it was “Sakurazaka” in hiragana, it would have a cute image, but since “Sakura” was in kanji, I wondered what kind of image it would have? Afterward, I heard about the number of strokes and the meaning behind the name, and I thought it was a great name!


What kind of conversations have you had with the members about the new group name "Sakurazaka46"?

Uemura: It was before the release of the information, so we didn't talk much out loud, but as soon as we heard it, conversations such as “It was great! It sure makes us happy, right!” Everyone was happy!


The first thing you did was to make a presentation on the streets of Shibuya. How did you feel about that presentation style?

Uemura: I wondered how people would react to the announcement and what fans would think of it since the members were at work and couldn't see it directly. I was very curious about their reaction and what their fans thought about it. Since Shibuya is also the place where Keyakizaka46’s debut song was filmed, I hope that the people in Shibuya will notice, see, and remember the announcement.


How does it feel to know that “white” will be used as your image color?

Uemura: I was happy because it's simply my favorite color! The fact that it's white instead of any other color made me feel that we haven't been dyed by any colors yet and that we're going to make a new group from scratch!


What kind of costume would you like to wear in the future?

Uemura: Long dress costumes and outfits with pretty laces and ruffles and ribbon. I’d like to wear costumes with a feminine vibe.


What do you want to do in the future?

Uemura: We're usually cheerful, so it would be great if we could show that kind of cheerfulness more. People often give us the impression that we’re cool or dark, but we are totally cheerful (laughs). We're just like any other girls, so I want to be able to show that part in more ways.


Personally, what kind of idol would you like to be as you make your second debut with Sakurazaka46? 

Uemura: I always look at my favorite idol and think, "When I look at this person, I feel like I'm having fun. When I look at her, I can forget all the bad things! This person’s working hard, so I’ll work hard too!” I want to be an idol of that kind of existence!

---

Translation: sunsetrider
QC: toomuchidea
Raw: sunsetrider

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Odakura Reina interview from BUBKA June 2023 edition