Yamasaki Ten solo interview in Bessatsu Kadokawa Keyakizaka46 / Sakurazaka46 1013/1209

For the youngest of both the group’s generations, Yamasaki Ten had been getting used to, and starting to love, Keyakizaka46’s live activities more and more. That’s why, the coronavirus’ impact in forcing a halt of all live activities this year had been nothing but frustrating for her. That’s also why Keyakizaka’s Last Live this 12th and 13th of October, aside from being the last of Keyakizaka’s performance, was also a ‘joyous two days’ for her.


I was really excited when they told us we’d have a completely different subject (setlist) for the two days. Entering this year we only had our streamed performance in July; there was also the exclusive live for Aeon Card holders in September, but as I thought, to have a live performance after a long time with a properly done stage and full-scale direction, needless to say, the members really looked forward to it.

When the talks first came up, we only had the rough image of things. When we were told “We’re going big with this live” made me really think about how it was going to feel, and that’s when I got excited. Turns out I really like doing live performances, and because of that I got really hyped up; Where we would have different setlists each day was also a nice touch, I thought.


A former Keyakizaka46 fan, realizing how limited the number of songs they could show off in 2 days of performance; Feeling just a tad bit unsatisfied, she spills out her truth.


There actually was a feeling of wanting to perform every song we’ve had until now; there’s just a lot of amazing coupling songs, and I myself just didn’t get to perform a lot of them. Just like me, especially the new 2nd generation girls who actually just made it into the group, and to have Keyakizaka46 end off despite that, needless to say we wanted to perform those songs a bit more.. A lot of those girls say they like Keyakizaka46, and I think that’s just unfortunate for them. It would’ve been really nice if we were able to perform a lot more of those Keyakizaka songs, I felt.

I think of that, then this time during the Last Live most 2nd gens got to perform songs we didn’t get to do, I thought it was very nice.


In the rehearsals leading to the long-awaited Last Live, Yamasaki happily spends her time. She gives us an insight of one side of that atmosphere.


The atmosphere during rehearsals was so nice. Particularly for me, at that time I got into sweets so much (laughs). The seniors and my same-gen members would give me all these sweets, so much so the staffs called me “Candy Monster” (laughs). It was that nice, everyone got along well, even the new 2nd gens; At first they were very shy, but we were able to get along throughout the rehearsals and the performance. During the second day’s “Taiyou wa Miageru Hito o Erabanai”, I really felt like we performed as one; and at the very last “Silent Majority” all 27 of us were able to perform together, made me really happy.

But, what do the new 2nd gens really think of me? entering the group and going into quarantine right away, we really couldn’t do much activities together like we would’ve liked. I really wanted to talk to them, too.. Oh, if I read the interviews in this book I’d find out, won’t I? I think I’ll read everything then (laughs).


And with that sentiment they welcome the first day of the Last Live. In this performance plays the ‘cool’ and ‘dark’ songs performed with their hearts; the songs were arranged to show ‘An emphasis of the Keyakizaka46 Worldview’, an amazing spectacle.


During the first day there were a good amount of songs I haven’t done before. There was ‘Fukyouwaon’, and we also got to perform ‘Kuroi Hitsuji’ together with everyone. I'm glad to have been able to do it.

Particularly, ‘Kuroi Hitsuji’ was the last song, wasn’t it? So when we gathered up into one -as if we’re talking about whether we could already understand each other- When we gathered I really thought I for sure wouldn’t cry, but suddenly my tears came out. While I was careless I cried just like that; It was my first. There I felt such a mysterious feeling.. Also when I hugged Sato Shiori-san, somewhere in my heart I felt it- ‘Sato-san is graduating, it’s so sad..’ When I snapped out I had already cried.

What is it- as we finished the performance, there was a feeling that came with it; a sense of positivity, looking forward. But there was also a feeling of sadness. If I myself couldn’t understand it then surely no one could, right? (laughs).


In the early part of the first day, there was ‘Otona wa Shinjite Kurenai’, a song to which Yamasaki served as center. Having served center to the same song earlier during July’s online live, that particular performance was highly acclaimed; a strong expression and  performed with a sharp grit. This time, it was a degree of perfection far surpassing that first display.


Just being complimented like that makes me happy (laughs). It’s a song that follows ‘Silent Majority’ through; I really wanted to tell the song’s worldview, fully taking it to heart. If i am able to do that, then it’s a good performance.


Including Yamasaki, this Last Live had a whole lot of moments where we could catch a view of the 2nd generation members. Their technique, and growth of presence, must have unmistakably reflected the experience gathered from last year.


Really, everyone has said this. Recently the seniors and the dancers would say ‘you’re starting to remember dances really quickly’, or ‘you’ve really gotten good at dancing’ more and more. Heading into this live, to confirm our positions, we would usually look at past training videos, but it’s pretty bad that it’s embarrassing (laughs). I thought I’ve really grown, even in that department. At the end of the day, just because I was too embarrassed to look into the videos, I would just ask the dancers (laughs).


On the 2nd day, A song which had Yamasaki participate, ‘Concentration’ was performed. Together with generation mate Matsudaira Riko, and first generations Ozeki Rika, Koike Minami, Saito Fuyuka, Yamasaki shared a special memory.


The other members have always talked about wanting to perform ‘Concentration’; surprisingly the reaction all around has been very well, and I’m very happy about it.

The brunt of the song has this cool atmosphere, but there are some cute undertones. Even within Koike-san’s gentle air, we danced precise and abrupt movements, and put out cool expressions. But the lyrics are very mature; much so it makes you think if a 15-year old is too young to sing it (laughs). It was that kind of song, and I’m glad you said you liked it.


In the same day, Starting off with ‘Concentration’, with songs such as ‘10-Gatsu no Pool ni Tobikonda’ and ‘Sajin’, a lot of songs from their Best Album “Eien Yori Nagai Isshun - Ano Koro, Tashika ni Sonzai shita Watashitachi -” were shown on the limelight.


There were a lot of songs I’ve been longing to perform, and they were all songs I’m glad to have been able to perform. Not to mention ‘Sajin’ is a popular song between us members, and I too really like it.

We’ve talked about our dance, but we’re also taking in the songs to heart; TAKAHIRO-sensei told us to put our hearts to the power of the music. Like the last chorus of 'Sajin', I think, at first it was a practiced, choreographed dance. But when it came to the actual performance, we really just wanted to let out the music, that that part became freestyle. That was really nice; It makes me feel the true feeling of a ‘live performance’, so it made me really happy. But the actual prompted dance is also really cool, so I hope we get to show it off someday.


Between the songs on the second day there was a feature video on the 2nd generation members. The 9 2nd gens circle round with their back facing one another, as they watch their entry into Keyakizaka46, and growth until the present, be summarized in front of their eyes. Those who couldn’t hold back their tears, and those who faced up in an attempt to; The audience saw a jumbled mess of an emotional view.


We had rehearsed so many times, but we didn’t get to watch that video until the *actual* live. It was our first viewing, so we were surprised that they had ‘that’ sort of video prepared. Speaking of- they put a lot of old off-shots on a slideshow before the show, right? It was like “Ah, this did happen..”, there were members we missed, and there some were shocked like me (laughs). But when that 2nd gen video played I could hear crying from around me, and even mid-performance the seniors were crying, it was really painful. There were a lot of those moments. Even in our members-only ear monitors, everyone’s crying got mixed up with each others’. It’s those kinds of moments that we got to really feel the end of Keyakizaka46 closing in.

Us 2nd gens do not lose to our seniors in how close we are, it even surprised me that it’s been 2 years, because even now we still say “I’m so glad to have been a member” countless times (laughs). That’s why we also want to get along with the new 2nd gens as quickly as possible. Recently we’ve gotten along with the seniors well; mid-performance we would even grab each others’ hands a lot (laughs). We’d do our gathering yell loudly, and adjust ourselves to upbeat music before performances, calling out each other, dancing; we’re having fun and being free (laughs).


In this pleasant part of our exchange, she shares a special funny story from the backstage.


On the second day, Kobayashi (Yui)-san had a hyping-up part during ‘Abunakkashi Keikaku’, did she? When she practiced it before the show, she screamed out in shock. Right before the performance, The atmosphere was quiet all around me, but suddenly Kobayashi-san screamed out ‘Ah!’ behind, ‘Eh?’, at first I was shocked, but eventually everyone followed suit and screamed out ‘Ah!’ after. It felt like a zoo in there (laughs). But because that happened, during the show everyone would always speak out louder, so turns out screaming out before performances might be important after all.


Going back to the live performance. With the second day being the latter half, from ‘Kaze ni Fukaretemo’ the atmosphere changes steadily, and with ‘Garasu o Ware!’ performed in likeliness to its MV, a spectacular worldview was reproduced.


After ‘10-Gatsu no Pool ni Tobikonda’ comes ‘Sajin’, then after that, ‘Kaze ni Fukaretemo’, ‘Ambivalent’, ‘Garasu o Ware!’, ‘Dare ga sono Kane wo Narasu no ka?’, and last, ‘Silent Majority’. It was a hectic sequence (laughs). As I thought, the latter half would be very hard, and it was worrying for my physical health. But everyone worked together and found the best way to do everything, we were able to finish strong. I was most excited when we did ‘Garasu o Ware!’, as this time, we got to perform it with those who have been teaching us dance; it was very fun. 

Everyone has gotten along with the members so well, there was this strong feeling of ‘We’ll show you what we’re good at, let’s do this!’. To start the day today, we divided ourselves into two and have us hype each other up. Then we tap each others’ shoulders, and we’d hold the other girl’s collar; It might sound bad, but we’d play rock-paper-scissors, I’d win and I’d get to hold their collar! (laughs). It’s something i don’t get to do in a ‘normal’ daily life, it’s not something I ever did in the first place, so I was really happy to have experienced something like that.

In the performances after that too, I'd meet eyes with the dancers while dancing, it was really fun. When we’re changing clothes quickly the dancers would help us adjust out clothing, it was really cool to watch the video the day after. My body felt crazy because of the latter half on the second day, but the dancers came in at their full power, I thought ‘I gotta do this! I won’t lose!’ and I welcomed the challenge with a fighting spirit.


Closing off 5 years of Keyakizaka46 history with their last bout, a 27-man version of ‘Silent Majority’, the concert, right after, shows off the new group, Sakurazaka46’s first big step, their debut single - ‘Nobody’s Fault’. To switch their feelings over in such a short time would surely be accompanied by considerable difficulty.


That’s what I personally was worried about the most. It was like that mid-rehearsals; I was lamenting, ‘Where am I right now? What am I doing?’ and I was worried about our next move. Turns out, I really wanted to tell Keyakizaka songs as Keyakizaka, but then I want to tell Sakurazaka songs as Sakurazaka; everyone felt the same way. But to say I switched my feelings over in an instant, I wouldn’t exactly say so. At the end of the day I thought it was something I have no control over even if I put my mind into it; and so I just left it to the flow of things, which was basically what happened during D-day. I couldn’t even remember if we actually did the first Sakurazaka performance that day (bitter laugh). But what I could remember, are the sakura petals that flutter down as we walk the hill road (Sakamichi) at the end.

There were some who thought that because it’s our last bout as Keyakizaka46, that we should stick as Keyakizaka until the very end; I too understood that sentiment. Then again we had announced our name change into Sakurazaka, and because it was a livestream that we couldn’t tell how our fans reacted. How they were feeling on the other side of the screen, I was really curious about it. I kept thinking about it, even after the performances, I was kind of scared even though I barely had a way of finding out about it (bitter laugh). I’m still curious up to now, that’s why I’d like to hear what the fans think, and I really want to perform live (in front of an audience).


With no means to find out reactions real time, and with barely any means of direct exchange with their fans, The girls are put in a dire situation. However, With the online live performance taking place, Keyakizaka had established a new standard; that much is certain. It’s something they can use to progress as they turn to Sakurazaka.


That’s why when time comes where we could have audience lives again, I wondered if I would miss performing on stream (laughs). That big of a stage, and that much freedom can only be had on a streamed live, I thought. Everyone can also watch on equal footing when it’s streamed, couldn’t they? It might be nice, but I actually really want to perform live (for an audience). The spirit is just different and I think it’s really amazing.

At the same time, it was because it was live streamed that we were able to put in that much direction, I bet as time passes we’d think ‘I want to do this, and that!’. So live streamed, audience live; If we could do both at different situations, it would be really cool. I’d always try my best at both, and because a live streamed event is more easily watched internationally, if possible I want Sakurazaka to perform more on stream.


Turns out, though sister groups Nogizaka and Hinatazaka had done overseas performances in the past, Keyakizaka had never done even one. Yamasaki touches on international reactions from the comment section of ‘Dare ga sono Kane wo Narasu no ka?’ uploaded on YouTube, as well as her personal dreams going forward as Sakurazaka.


To know that there are people who watch it despite being far from each other by country and distance, and to learn that there are this many people who are supporting us from overseas makes me very happy. That's one of the reason why I’d like us to go to various countries and perform as Sakurazaka. Until now, I’ve barely found anything I’ve wanted to do, as I’m just not that good at setting goals. It was like that during the Keyakizaka days, but now I’ve come to want to do many things, probably because I’ve witnessed much more. Expectedly, I really want to push my strengths more and more, and put myself in more and more experiences, thinking about what I’d like to continually do in mind. There are models in between our seniors, some poured their talent into acting, and in the 2nd generation, the smart ones got a spot at a quiz show, and some made it into other variety shows; There are many members with unique individualities, because of that, I really want to break out and show more of myself in Sakurazaka46.


What does she think is her role within the group right now?


Everyone around me asks this a lot, but I think right now I’m truly an unknown variable. I haven’t exactly found out what I’m best at doing, and they’d say ‘That’s exactly why you should start searching!’ (laughs). But at the end of the day, I also think whether to move in that department at this time is too early or not, as I’m still exploring the nick of things; But for sure, I want to eventually be an irreplaceable presence within the group. That’s one goal I am certain of.


To top off, we asked; the now past Keyakizaka she onced loved and looked up to, What kind of presence was ‘Keyakizaka’ to her?


This definitely won’t change, ever, but someone that says what I truly feel about things, someone that wholly speaks out about things I can’t truly express, things I think of that I can’t truly say to anyone; That was what Keyakizaka was to me. Especially now, I’d say what I need to say to myself in their lyrics, and at times I felt “I’ve really wanted to say that”. When I entered that changed to “What I want to say, I can say it in full”. I’m an eldest daughter, so even if I had things to say I barely had a choice but to keep it to myself. I didn’t express my opinions too, and I think that part of me has changed just a bit.

But I don’t hate my old self; I don’t really look badly on it. I’d rather not compare things like that; I’d rather appreciate and take good care of what I have now. To work towards a bright future, first I need to face things I don’t understand right now head-on, and from what I’ve learned with Keyakizaka46, work harder from now on.


---
Translation: mentos
QC: subject18
Raw: kiryu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1