Hirate Yurina interview in GINGER April 2021




Standing in front of the camera, she changed her poses as if dancing lightly to the music... Without realizing it, everyone in the room was staring breathlessly at her, applauding every time after each shoot. It was as if we were watching a piece of art.


“I've always had a thing for moustache. Once, when I cut my hair short and changed my image, I said to Akimoto (Yasushi)-san, “I want to wear a moustache too”. Then he said in a serious tone, “Are you dumb?” (laughs). So today, I'd like to send him this photo of me with a moustache.”


Hirate-san is charismatic and well-known for her expressive power and overwhelming presence, but as the interview began, her mischievous side flashed through. On this day, the make-up room was very lively, with loud laughter being heard many times. The reason for that was because of Hirate-san's pranks. The other day, such a thing happened.


“The other day when my manager came to my house, I purposely answered the intercom in a low voice. Maybe they thought it was a man answering it, as they called me in a panic, saying "I got the wrong room!" (laughs)”


Recently, she has been appearing in a lot of variety shows, and many people have the impression that her smile has ‘softened’, but this is what she says.


“I do not feel that I've changed in any way. I think it's just that up until now, that part of me hasn't really been out in the open.”


'Nothing changed' is a word that she has uttered many times before. When she left Keyakizaka46 and started walking on her own too, what she said was "My surroundings may have changed, but I myself haven't changed".


“It's not that I think that "I don't want to change". In fact, there are a lot of things that I'd like to change. Even now and then I don't like myself, there are a lot of things that I dislike (about myself). The number of times I think "I'm still lacking", "I want to change" is increasing instead. That reason must be... because I think that what is demanded of me must be very high right now. I'm always worried and very scared that I won't be able to meet them. I feel that the hurdle is just getting higher.”


Since walking on her own, she has started acting and taken on new challenges one after another. She brought to us the never before seen Hirate Yurina. She keeps saying that she will "not change", but she is definitely evolving.


“I wonder if that's true. I'm glad to hear you say so, but I’m not sure myself. I've never been conscious of that either.”


She doesn't stop and look at herself to see how she has changed or evolved. The reason why she keeps saying "Nothing has changed" is probably because she keeps running forward without looking back. When I asked her about the image people have of Hirate Yurina, her answer was "I don't really care".


“Because it's my job to express. Though I'd be so glad if there was something that stuck with them when they saw the work. Each person has their own tastes, so I think it'd be hard to deliver something that is "good" to everyone. But going back to the talk earlier about being "softer", I think I might be in trouble if people had a strong impression of that and thought I'm someone who talks a lot with just anyone and any time (laughs). Because I'm still a shy person."


I suddenly became curious and asked, "Do you often look in the mirror?" and her reply was "Not really".


“I just realized now that you mentioned it. I've never asked my manager to bring me a mirror for shooting and all. Maybe I'm just not that interested in my appearance. I don't think I want to make myself look good, pretty and such. Rather than that, how do I act the role, how to express what's in front of me...are more important."


Currently 19 years old. Hirate-san is getting closer to becoming someone from "cute" to an adult woman who's fit to be called "beautiful" and “sexy”, but giving an inexplicable look, she's not sure about that either.


“I might not notice it but I'm sure that there are some things that have changed little by little. There are also small changes in my daily life. Like, recently I've started to "reward myself" at the end of the day. The movie location for The Fable was very cold, so buying a hot drink on the way home has become a practice. That's when I started calling it as a ‘reward’. That habit has continued to this day. Will there be a ‘reward’ later today?...I'm sure there will be (laughs)”


I wonder if there will be a moment when she changes significantly in the future. Finally, I throw this question at her. "They say love changes women, but do you think you would change too if you experienced a great love, Hirate-san?"


“Eh, is love something that changes someone so much? I...get the feeling that I won't change. Cause I've never wanted someone to like me or done anything to be liked. Yeah, for certain, I think that won't change from now on too”


----

Translation: kiryu
QC: toomuchidea
Raw: kiryu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1