Scenery of Spring (Sugai Yuuka x Matsuda Rina, BRODY April 2021)

 


Our own group


It has been roughly 4 months since the start of Sakurazaka46. With the release of the single “Nobody’s fault” and the appearance on “Kouhaku Uta Gassen”,  it feels as though your activities have really begun from the perspective of the audience, but personally have you felt any changes?


Sugai: I think the atmosphere has become “Sakurazaka46”. At the beginning it was difficult for us to match our pace, but after we performed “Nobody’s fault” at last year’s Kouhaku, something changed. 


Matsuda: I feel as though the awareness that “Sakurazaka46 is our group” has blossomed. I don’t know how to phrase it properly, but during Keyakizaka46, we were so conscious of the fact that the group was something that our seniors had created [for us]. But now the awareness that, “This is our group”, has become stronger I think. But that isn’t really because we stepped into the role of Sakurazaka46, but rather it might be that we feel that way because the amount of time we’ve spent as members has accumulated. Right after the name change it felt exciting, and at the same time a little bit complicated as well. But now, after we’ve started [our activities], it also feels like everybody is thinking, “Let’s all move forward together!”. I certainly feel like that (laughs).


Sugai: That certainly might be true. The 1st generation members had strong feelings towards Keyakizaka46 and lots of thoughts about the name change, but after completing (the milestone that was) the Last Live, I think everybody made the decision to continue to move forward as Sakurazaka46. I think that was when everybody’s mindset changed. I think after our beginning as Sakurazaka46 together with the 2nd generation members, we’re much more relaxed than before.


The 2nd generation members taking the center positions play an important role in the 1st single; as part of the 2nd generation yourself, what sort of feelings do you have towards this?


Matsuda: As a member of the same generation, I felt happiness at them becoming center as though it were my own. We began in the same place and worked hard together, all three of them (Fujiyoshi Karin/Morita Hikaru/Yamasaki Ten) have shown their best performances this single so it has been very stimulating for me as well.


Sugai: (Yamasaki) Ten-chan, (Fujiyoshi) Karin-chan and Hikaru-chan each show their own unique colours, it makes me feel very proud.  With Kobayashi (Yui) and Watanabe (Risa) positioned at both sides of the center, it would be good if we, the 1st generation members, are able to be of help and support them even more.  


On music shows, there have been chances to perform songs other than the title song “Nobody’s fault”; how long did it take to learn the choreography?


Sugai: We learnt a lot in a short period of time. But there wasn’t a single person who complained despite the circumstances. It was probably the natural weight of responsibility, or rather it would feel frustrating to cry in that kind of situation. I think that’s why even in such pressing times, everyone was able to act responsibly. 


Matsuda: “Nobody’s fault” was also changed to a full-member version in Kouhaku for example.


Sugai: For Kouhaku, the formation was changed into one more seasoned for the strength that’s created from all the members being gathered together. Aside from that, there were also changes to how the designs are displayed in the uniform, there were changes in even the smallest of details. That way, we were able to grow alongside the song which is something that hasn’t changed since before [during Keyakizaka46], it’s something that I think we should continue to give importance to.


Suitability for captain


Since the 4th of January, there has been a new system of Sugai-san as Captain and Matsuda-san as Vice-captain. When did you have this discussion?


Matsuda: Around the end of December.


Was there an explanation then?


Sugai: Yes, there was. I continued in my role as captain but for Matsuri-chan (Matsuda Rina)....


Matsuda: In order for the 1st and 2nd generation to further unite, they thought it would be good to have a 2nd generation member [as Vice-captain] or something like that… something along those lines.


Is your memory of it that vague (laughs)?


Matsuda: I was really nervous when they told me, so I have a much stronger memory [of being nervous] (laughs). After all though, us 2nd generation members spoke much more amongst ourselves, and there weren’t really many 1st generation members that we could have deep conversations with. That’s why I wanted to take on that role if it meant I could bridge the gap even the smallest bit.


Sugai: Now, half the group is 2nd generation members, so the staff told us that they wanted us to do well in this two-person pair.


Matsuda: About a year ago I thought to myself, “How can I get closer to my seniors?”. But amongst the 2nd generation, there aren’t really any assertive members so I was kind of like, “What should I do?”. We were getting more and more close but we still hadn’t really reached a deep relationship yet. 


Sugai: Even though the 1st generation members had the intention to close the distance, it didn’t reflect in our actions. Amongst the 1st generation we could talk about it easily, but in front of the 2nd generation we’d end up trying to act cool (laughs). But starting with Matsuri-chan, I can really feel as though we’ve developed a good relationship.


Sugai-san, were you told beforehand about Matsuda-san becoming Vice-captain?


Sugai: Yes. Around when we were transitioning to Sakurazaka46, I had a conversation with a staff member about how it might be good for the 2nd generation to also have such a position, given the state of the group, and they told me they were thinking the same thing as well. And as I was thinking, “Maybe Matsuri-chan?”, they actually said that they were thinking of choosing Matsuda. I think Matsuri-chan is a very reliable figure so I was happy about it. 


Matsuda: No, I should be the one saying that……(blushes). 


Sugai: Since joining the group, even among the 2nd generation members, Matsuri-chan has been a person who clearly states her opinion, she’s also good at raising the motivation of the members and she has the power to make people feel very positive. Also, when I’m speaking as Captain in front of everybody, she perceptively says “I’m listening!” (laughs).


Matsuda: Ahaha! I’ve always thought that it’s important to look at people’s eyes (laughs). 


Sugai: Matsuri-chan makes the atmosphere brighter just by being there, I think she’s suitable to be Vice-captain.


Matsuda: I’m happy to hear that…(laugh while blushing). I really am not… not worthy enough to be told those kinds of things. I often think to myself, “That’s not true at all though”. I’m not as capable as everyone thinks, I’ve come to think that I might be good at pretending to seem as though I am. That’s why recently, all of a sudden, I’ve lost all my confidence (laughs).


Sugai: Ehhhh~!?


Matsuda: I think, “No way. I don’t think I can do it.” Since forever even now, in life I have always taken on leadership roles, such as the president of the club, but in the end I still think, “I’m not suited for this…” even while I’m doing it. That’s why this time I also ended up thinking, “Aren’t I only pretending to be able to do this……” The role of Vice-captain requires you to observe your surroundings and even you have to be able to see what’s “ahead”, I feel as though I’m only seeing what’s right in front of me or around me; I became worried over whether I actually had the ability to lead or pull everyone in the right direction. But when fans say things like, “It’s fine to keep doing it the way you want to do it,” and the members say, “Let’s do our best together,” I take those words to heart, even though I don’t think that it’s good to think about it too much (laughs), and it makes me want to work hard.


Sugai: I guess it’s true that being told that you’re capable can also be a burden…….


It’s like you’re saying it to yourself as well (laughs)


Sugai: I wasn’t even the type of person to be recommended for chairperson (laughs).


Matsuda: In my opinion Sugai-san is super capable and really amazing. I think that there have been a lot of tough times, and I hope I can be of help during those times 


Regrets and resolutions


Sugai: Ehhh…. I would say so……(laughs). But I would often end up thinking that it's my fault, and there definitely are times where I think, “What should I have done back then?”. When the group that I’m the captain of makes the fans disappointed, I feel really regretful and apologetic. When I look back on it, I sometimes think, “If only I had spoken up a bit more, the situation might have been different.” But that’s why now, I think it would be good if I could convey my opinion properly and move forward as Sakurazaka46.


On the other hand, when does it feel good to be captain?


Sugai: When the fans tell me things like, “I’m glad that Yukka’s the captain~” “It’s because of you that I stayed as a fan.” It genuinely makes me happy and I also feel that way when the members tell me that kind of thing. After the Keyakizaka46’s Last Live as well, I felt really happy when member(s) told me, “I didn’t quit because you stayed.” That’s why I feel like it’s the most worthwhile when I make even the smallest positive impact on someone.


Have you, as Captain and Vice-captain, spoken about the goal that Sakurazaka46 is aiming towards?


Sugai: We talked about how we wanted to make [Sakurazaka46] a lively group. To still focus on our refined atmosphere, but for the group to also be overflowing with motivation, or something like that. Within the group, the members are individually doing activities in lots of different fields, it would be great if Sakurazaka46 was spread to many different places and be loved by many people. In a good way, I want the group to blaze, or rather, burst into flames.


Is that something that you had personally thought about before?


Sugai: At the time of the name change, it made me think about it even more. In the end, the world isn’t an easy place, and I fully believe that this is only the beginning. I think there’s a necessity for each person to carry the responsibility for Sakurazaka46 to continue, and to keep putting ourselves out there; to keep creating opportunities for ourselves to move forward.


Matsuda: I want to keep aiming higher and higher. But I think there are a lot of people who don’t really express those feelings. It feels like there are a lot of members who keep their feelings hidden away.


Sugai: Yeah. That’s why I think it would be great if we could use the motivation created from the name change as a catalyst to start a synergy throughout the group.


Moving on, Matsuda-san, what do you think is something you should learn from Sugai-san?


Matsuda: There are lots of things, but something I’ve thought about recently is her writing ability. She’s very good at using her words to convey things.


Sugai: So you read my blogs. Thanks (laughs).


Matsuda: I can only use simple expressions such as “I’ll work hard” or “I’m happy”, and I even had to tell my fans, “I’m really bad at writing” (laughs). But when something big happens to the group, I think that it’s clear in her writing that Sugai-san thinks hard about what words to use, and how she should convey her emotions to the fans. I think that’s one of the reasons she’s loved by so many people, and when we’re together I feel rejuvenated. I’m able to feel like, “(taking a deep breath) ahhhhh--- .”


Sugai: Thanks~....... 


Matsuda: She’s a senior that I respect very much. I expressed it because it’s something that I truly believe.


I think that turned into a good piece of writing (laughs).


Matsuda: Was it okay (laughs)?


----

Translation: shin

QC: toomuchidea

Raw: kiryu


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Odakura Reina interview from BUBKA June 2023 edition