Tsuchida Teruyuki interview in BRODY April 2021


Matsuda the Lubricating Oil


Tsuchida-san has been entrusted as the MC of “Keyaki tte Kakenai?” and “Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?” with Haraichi Sawabe-san for more than 5 years


Tsuchida: Until then, I had worked with various idols, and in each group there was always someone who would say, “I’m the variety member!”. Keyakizaka46 had no one like that, so at first I was surprised, But I don’t think that’s a bad thing; If you were to say that you are the most interesting person in a small village, I don’t think that amounts to anything outside of it. Sashihara (Rino) said that as she quickly realized that when she went out to the outside world (laughs).


In the interview with production staff, there are comments that from the latter half of Keyakake, the atmosphere has changed.


Tsuchida: People often say “It has become brighter lately”, and if you say “So it was dark before?”, it wasn’t like that, we have been having fun doing it since long ago. But at first, there were only the 1st generation members. I think that now there’s a breath of fresh air with the addition of 2nd generation, new 2nd generation girls. Among them, I think Matsuda (Rina)’s presence could be the biggest one.


It’s true that Matsuda-san’s presence gives birth to a bright atmosphere.


Tsuchida: She might not be positioned at the center of the group right now, but Matsuda is like an unsung hero, or rather she acts like an interpreter between the members and the MC, and I think that if she takes the initiative, it makes it easier for everyone to talk. Moreover, she doesn’t just go for the laughs, but rather to make the other members stand out from the things she says.


And that is something she naturally does, isn’t it?


Tsuchida: It is. It’s great how she doesn’t force herself. Even if I ask whether she has any negative sides of herself, she said “I don’t have one” (laughs). Matsuda, who could naturally take a balance and read the atmosphere where there is no unpleasantness, has very much become a key person for the show. And that is why there are only a few moments where we tease Matsuda. Even without the need of us doing anything, she could find her own position and show herself there.


The way she says background chatter has become better too, I could feel her growth.


Tsuchida: On that, more than just Matsuda, they are growing through daily reflections, don’t you think? Recently their background chatters are used in the aired episodes. For example, Kobayashi has been doing her absent-minded retort since a long time ago, but they started to use it more often since we became “Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?”


How was the remote recording period from last year? I wonder if it had a big plus, as Ozono’s memo character was born during that time.


Tsuchida: I’m grateful that Ozono got to the front without saying “Why me…?”. Since all members appear in studio recording, there will be some members who won’t be featured, but in the remote recording with a limited number of people each time we are able to listen to each of their story properly and feature them, which I think was good. But since it’s a 30 minute program, it can’t be helped that some will get cut. That is something that each individual has to work hard for (laughs). However, at the end of the day, I think that the members’ awareness have greatly changed with how the program changed from Keyakake to Sokosaku.


The 2 nuclear warheads


To start, what did you think when you first heard that Keyakizaka46 is changing into Sakurazaka46?


Tsuchida: I think that Keyakizaka46 had the image of “Hirate’s group” public-wise, and since there was an increasing gap between the release of singles, I think that it was good that there was a complete change in group name, especially for the 2nd generation members.


Because, in a good way, they can start again from the beginning.


Tsuchida: I think that it was truly a very difficult decision for the girls, but it seems that the feeling of “I gotta do it” sparked within them. Keyakizaka46 was a group built by the 1st generation, but I hope that in Sakurazaka46 there could be an equal relationship between the 1st and 2nd generations. Particularly, I think that the awareness of the debut single’s centers, Morita (Hikaru), (Fujiyoshi) Karin-chan, and (Yamasaki) Ten-chan has increased. I think that attitude is also reflected in Sokosaku


The three Centers become a Captain in “3-way battle”, and I feel that they become more assertive in variety shows.


Tsuchida: That planning was great, wasn’t it? It was fun, And it wasn’t just the three centers; we got to feature a lot of members individually, and have a good laugh together as a team


In “3-way battle”, Onuma Akiho-san’s “forward leaning” sprung up.


Tsuchida: For me personally, that was the most I laughed in the last 4 years! Like, “Just who is this girl!?”. It was interesting because they used that part in a lengthy way, and it was also good how the blindfolded members looked at that forward lean one by one. Onuma is not the kind of girl that would say “Please don’t tease me too much”, but the type whose naivety brings a burst of laughter. With Numa Rhythm too, it’s not like she intended it to be. She’s just a natural. I think that Onuma and Masumoto (Kira) are Sakurazaka46’s nuclear warheads.


How do you see Masumoto-san?


Tsuchida: In the case of how crazy she is, I think she’s even crazier than Onuma. According to my middle son, she has been like that since Sakamichi Joint Audition’s Showroom, it seems that the weird expressions she did are not the kind a girl would do. There is fun in Onuma and Masumoto’s nature, that efforts alone cannot surpass, and they become this valuable presence that everyone could play with together.


Is there anything that you keep in mind when you tease eccentric girls like them?


Tsuchida: I don’t think of anything in particular. They just suddenly become funny themselves, so it’s okay to just leave it as it is (laughs). On the opposite, I keep in mind how to lead the topic in towards the girls who are bad at stepping forward.


There are members in the new 2nd generation who appear to be likely to play an active role in the future, aren’t they?


Tsuchida: Both Renaa (Moriya Rena) and Endo (Hikari) have their own atmosphere, and Kousaka (Marino) was very good at the “Sense Queen Championship”, and I think they will become even more interesting in the future. But I think it’s not necessary for everyone to step up at the same time. I think that there may be girls who are impatient, who’d think, “Recently this other girl has been featured a lot”, but their own turn will come, and I think they should do their best to seize the opportunity when time comes. Even if they push themselves, the difference between what they trained themselves to do and what their real self is will be noticed quickly, and even if you were to play a character in a rush, you won’t be able to beat Onuma and Masumoto (laughs). I want them to put out their own color when their time comes.


Do you feel that the 1st generation members are being stimulated by the efforts of the 2nd generation members?


Tsuchida: I wonder? You won’t know the truth unless you ask a 1st generation member, but I think there is this awareness within them that says “We got to do this together”. What was good recently was how we teased how much Saito (Fuyuka) lacks in sense in the “Sense Queen Championship”. I would like to see more of the 1st generation members’ unknown sides.


I want the 1st generation members who have supported Keyakizaka46 to play an even active role in Sokosaku


Tsuchida: That’s right. Like, “So you still have this up your sleeve!”. If such a moment happens, I think it will be more impactful than the 2nd generation because they have a wider range, so I want the 1st generation members to do their best as before in unison. And their cool figure too. In that sense, (Watanabe) Risa and Kobayashi (Yui) have truly become cool.


It’s true that Risa-san and Kobayashi-san have established themselves.


Tsuchida: When I first met them, I couldn’t imagine that the two of them would be like this, but they become more and more prominent, and if you ask someone to name 5 members who represent Keyakizaka46, their name would definitely enter the list. Even though in Sakurazaka46 three 2nd generation members have become Centers, Risa and Kobayashi who stood at the side with their beauty and sense are key players, and the group as a whole looks more solid because of them. I think that they are really cool.


I have the impression that Risa-san and Kobayashi-san are doing what they must do in Sokosaku


Tsuchida: Kobayashi has sense, and Risa does things without saying “I can’t do something like that”. Although she did show an “Eh~!?” like face (laughs), it's great how she would still do it.


Even if Sakurazaka46 have become grannies


Tsuchida-san sometimes talks about Sakurazaka46 in “Nichiyou no he so” (Nippon Broadcasting System radio station), but do you have any awareness of “I have to say this”?


Tsuchida: If it’s like something wrong, there are times when I would remember it in the middle of the story. Recently it has been about earphones. In the middle of talking, I suddenly remembered being told by Sokosaku staff and explained about it. I explained the reason why we’d wear earphones, is that on top of having a large number of people at studio, there is also social distancing and acrylic board, so it’s hard to hear others’ voice; in the hope that using SNS and such it will be conveyed to Sakurazaka46’s fans. I will continue to support them, even if we are no longer involved at work. There are some girls who would continue their entertainment activities after graduating from the group, while others quit, but since we are able to meet by chance, I will support them even if they already become grannies (laughs).


Recently the number of times Sakurazaka46 members appearing in outside shows have increased, isn’t it? Matsuda-san also gave a shocking answer in “Nep League” (Fuji TV) before.


Tsuchida: Among comedians, there are people who say “I will change my life today!”, but apart from awards like “M-1 Grand Prix”, nothing changes because they are only invited for one time. But when they got called for a second time then they would think “I passed”, and there is no choice but to continue to be called for the third time and so on. In this world you have to do that for decades (laughs).


It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon.


Tsuchida: But Sokosaku is their home ground, so I think that it’s important for them to taste the outside air. I want them to learn from entertainers of various other occupations.


Is there anything that you hope for the future of Sakurazaka46?


Tsuchida: I hope that they don’t drag out Keyakizaka46. Keyakizaka46 has achieved great things in a short period of time. But I think that Sakurazaka46 is an even more attractive group, so I’m looking forward to it.


So from the perspective of Tsuchida-san, who is up-close to them, they are a group with that much potential.


Tsuchida: Of course! They are different from Keyakizaka46, and of course they are completely different from Nogizaka46-san and Hinatazaka46-san. I think that they will be a wonderful group loved by everyone. No, they already are (laughs). I want them to believe in themselves and proceed without rushing. As Sokosaku MC, I’d like to continue recording with fun, and hope to convey that fun atmosphere to the viewers.

---

Translation: toomuchidea
QC: mentos
Raw: kiryu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Odakura Reina interview from BUBKA June 2023 edition