Saito Fuyuka x Moriya Akane interview in B.L.T May 2021


The two of you are in Yamasaki Ten’s center song. Lately, what kind of conversations have you had?


Saito: Akane and I have been talking since way back, but we’ve been spending more and more time together , and so there are a lot more chances for us to talk to one another. It’s not just because we’re the same age, but our way of thinking is similar, our thoughts about the group are similar too, and so we talk easily... Somehow, we talk about a lot of things, right?


Moriya: From before, if there was something I wanted to share, I would send it to Fuu-chan through LINE. Moreover, it would be sudden (laughs). 


Saito: That’s right! Without any explanation, she would send me a URL or QR code.. After that she would send a message saying What do you think about this?” (laughs). 


Moriya: Like, it’s easy. I mean to say, it’s not a stiff relationship. 


Saito: And because of that, first of all, I’d look at the website, feel satisfied from it, but then I would forget to send my impressions to Akane. 


Moriya: But, as long as Fuu-chan looks at it then I’d be okay with it. After all, all I want is to share it. (laughs). 


Saito: Then we would meet for lessons or something and say something like “So about that thing”. How should I put it, with Akane it’s a relationship where I can always be myself 


Moriya: Since entering Keyaki in our third year of high school, our sense of distance hasn’t changed, hasn’t it?


Saito: The foundation hasn’t changed right? But since we’re in the same group we’ve seen the same wonderful things and experienced the same things, so I think the relationship has grown stronger. 


Recently, there has been a big change in the group. The vice captain has changed from Moriya-san to Matsuda Rina. Saito-san, how did you react to it?


Saito: Hmm... There were a lot of thoughts, but firstly there was a huge feeling of  “thank you for your hard work, truly”, so that day I sent a LINE message. 


Moriya: Yeah. Fuu-chan went out of her way to contact me.. I thought “Eh, this is going to make me cry” (laughs) It was a serious talk, and remembering it makes me want to cry. Conveying feelings through words or sentences, doesn’t that  fill your heart? And letters last forever, so I was very happy about how Fuu-chan felt towards me.

As for me... when we became Sakurazaka, since there are more 2nd generation members than there are the 1st generation, I thought it would be better for the group to work with a representative from the second generation than having two representatives from the 1st generation if we wanted to make strides to make the group more successful. And because of that, I feel how important it is for (Sugai) Yuuka and Matsuri (Matsuda) to be the 1st generation and 2nd generation captains. Especially that ever since Matsuri entered the group, she was relied on by the 2nd generation members so she’s really suitable for the job. 

Each person has their strengths and weaknesses, they do what they have to do, and I think that there is a difference between someone who does it because they like it and those who have the talent for it.... Thinking that way, Matsuri is definitely suited [to be Vice captain] since she’s always trying to liven up the place, and thinking of ways of creating a team atmosphere. I think she’s reliable. However, when you have a job title you prioritize the group over yourself... Matsuri is a person with strong feelings so I think she’ll probably be fine, but I hope that she can do it without overdoing it, and taking care of herself as well. I hope I can be a source of help as well. 


I think that is something that only someone being vice captain for four years can understand, like yourself.


Moriya: After all, it’s very difficult to balance myself and the group. There have been times where I feel troubled and suffered trying to decide between the two. This time, I’d like to reduce Yuuka and Matsuri’s burden from my position as much as I can. 


Saito: How should I say this, it’s been three years since the 2nd generation entered, and our fellow members could overcome the generation barrier and interact with each other in an equal manner, but of course there are times where we would only talk to members of the same generation. It might be difficult for the 2nd generation and the new 2nd generation to say what they are talking about to the 1st generation, and if we are caught in a situation where we can’t accept the opinions of others then the balance of the group won’t be good. From the fans point of view too, it’ll look disorganized. 

So I think that it’s necessary to have a representative from each generation, and to have them be Captain and Vice captain. Personally, I like the balance of Yuuka and Akane as a pair, so I hope that among the 1st generation we can continue to talk with each other with those two at the center.. In the same way, when the 2nd generation had no official positions, Matsuri put everyone together and her appointment as Vice captain is understandable. Keeping that in mind, I feel that the group has settled down in a good way while keeping the good points from before. 


We stepped deep on that topic for a bit, but thank you for your sincere answer. From here on I’d like to talk about something else... the Sakurazaka no Uta which will be positioned as the anthem of the group, the three beat tempo felt very unexpected. When the two of you heard the song, what kind of impression did you have?


Saito: My first impression was that I felt that it was a song that described the group starting fresh off. 


Moriya: Didn’t we all talk about this together? “I really get these lyrics”. I, as well, reading the lyrics was like “that’s right, that’s right, that’s right!” I remember earnestly agreeing. 


Saito: I’m honestly happy that we received such a wonderful song. 


You performed Sakurazaka no Uta for the first time during the Debut Countdown Live last year December 6th, the day before your debut. Almost five years ago you performed on the International Forum stage but it had a different feeling to it. Could you talk about what it was like?


Moriya: During our time in Keyaki, we always performed with everyone. Since we became Sakurazaka, members other than the Sakura Eight would only perform on stage the songs they participate in. So now, there is a different feeling to it from before. 


Saito: Akane was a title song member in the first single so from Overture she stood on the stage, but since I’m in Ten-chan’s center song, it was the first time I objectively saw our group’s overture. And there is a very strange feeling to it, the live show started, but I’m in the dressing room or backstage. It felt unfamiliar. We were waiting for our turn like that, but... When I appeared on stage to perform the last two songs, it felt painful. The Sakura Eight members already performed five songs, they were already sweaty, and both physically and mentally they were in concert mode, but it’s the first song for me so my body hasn’t warmed up yet. 

When I felt that difference, I realized that a new feeling had been created inside of me. Now I know we had to raise our energy and close the gap between us and the Sakura Eight members, but during the Debut Countdown live, I wasn’t aware of it yet. It wouldn’t be good if that happened, but even after the end of the first live I felt incomplete, or rather, I felt unsatisfied. But I realized that the 2nd generation felt this way all the time when they were in Keyaki. It might be an improper thing to say that I understand their feelings,, but I thought it was important for me to experience the frustration of entering in the middle of a live show. 


Looking at things from various perspectives and positions, I think that understanding things from multiple angles will become body and soul. That being said, the two of you will be standing in the third row of Yamasaki Ten’s center song but is it okay if I ask you how you two feel about it?


Moriya: Since our approach to music hasn’t changed, there are no worries about my position. Like... Doing these activities for five years, I’ve had various thoughts and learned about feelings I had never experienced before. One thing that I learned was to not get your hopes up. However the songs that we participate in are really nice and I like them so much that I’ve been listening to them over and over since their temporary stage. So rather than thinking about the negative parts, I think it’s better to think about the joy and fun of meeting and being able to perform a song. That’s why I had so much fun filming the MV. I’d really like to be able to pour my heart into the songs and deliver them.


Saito: For me... since we became Sakurazaka, I haven’t been a “title song member” so I want to do things for the sake of all the fans supporting me. I like to perform so I want to be a title song member one day so that I can get more chances to perform on music shows.. But since we were Keyaki... I didn’t want to care about my position, or have entering the senbatsu be my primary goal.. But now I’m worried about it... Or rather, I have to face that wall. To be honest, it can be quite a pain, but I have to accept that since that’s what it means for us to renew the group. , So, while aiming to be a title song member, no matter where I am or where I stand I want to keep doing the things I want to do.. I want to stay that way. 


This may be lip service, but in the end I think it’s a fight against yourself, right?


Saito: To say it positively, there are 25 people in the same group, and everyone is different, so I think that each person will be evaluated differently too.. People are expecting different things from Akane and me and it makes no sense for us to do the same things, so we have to figure out what and where to grow. I also think about that. 


That being said, could you tell us what you think is for the best for the group?  


Moriya: For me, I wasn’t that conscious of it, but I realized that being the hypewoman would make people happier than I thought. I want to meet that expectation as much as possible. And If it’s for the group, then I want to continue being the mood creator.. I’ve never really been teased before until I was teased by Tsuchida (Teruyuki)-san and Sawabe (Yu)-san on the shows “Keyakitte Kakenai?” and “Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?”, to be honest there were times where I feel confused as to why I am being teased (laughs). But if such a character were that interesting, I would like to live up to it.


Saito: From the audience's point of view, Akane is cute when she’s troubled (laughs). You also do something once you make up your mind for it, right? I think that’s wonderful. 


Moriya-san is a stoic person, right?


Moriya: How should I say this... Since I was small, when I think “I have to get my hands on this!” I’m the type of person who goes all the way to get it. I’m truly bad at giving up. When I think “I really want to go out today!”, even if my mother says “no”, I do whatever it takes to get out. Something like that (laughs). But it’s just for something I like or something I’m interested in. In that sense, I think I have an easy to understand personality. 


Saito: I get it. It’s because Akane draws the line very clearly (laughs). Even me... regarding shopping, I’m almost always loyal to my desires. I buy what I want without hesitation, but when I talk to Yuipon (Kobayashi Yui) and (Uemura) Rina for example, they hesitate. For about 3 months, they hesitated whether they should buy a bag or not. Well, in my case I often make impulse purchases and regret it... Speaking of, I’ve been trading stuff with Akane lately. Speaking of which, Akane’s recommended food is really good for the skin!


Moriya: When you said that we’re different from our early days, isn’t that one of the changes?? At first, Fuu-chan wasn’t really interested in things like that, but lately she’s been looking stuff up and has been recommending stuff to me saying “They’ve got this, too”. That makes me happy. 


Saito: Ahhh, I’m still learning (laughs).


-----

Translation: keishizaka
QC: toomuchidea, chriss
Raw: kiryu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1