Uemura Rina x Inoue Rina x Kousaka Marino interview in Crank In 14 April 2021

 


Rina Uemura, Rina Inoue, and Marino Kousaka of Sakurazaka 46 reveal their true feelings about their positions: "frustration" and "impatience”


Can you dance to the title song? After renaming from Keyakizaka46, they deviated from the “all member selection” and now express their songs with the 8-member “Sakura Eight” who participate in all songs along with third-row members of each formation. For the first single, she wasn’t selected for the title song, which would become the face of the work. “It was painful to see the participating members enjoying themselves,” said Uemura Rina, a first-generation member, revealing what was going through her mind. She felt “frustration” and “impatience” with her position but is also “motivated” for the future. Together with second-generation members, Inoue Rina, and Kousaka Marino, we ask them what they really thought about the announcement of the formation for the 2nd single “BAN”.


Frustration and impatience, true feelings about their positions (I couldn’t even watch the group in music programs)


For the title song of your debut single, “Nobody’s fault,” the announcement of the formation was aired on your regular TV program, “Soko magattara, Sakurazaka?” (TV Tokyo/every Sunday at 24:35). How did you hear the formation for the title song, “BAN” this time?


Uemura: Similar to the previous time, we gathered in one room and our names were called one by one. 


Inoue: The only difference is the absence of Haraichi’s Sawabe-san (Soko magattara MC), who announced the previous formation (laughs)


Since the renaming, the formation of the songs has become the topic of interest among fans. At the time of the announcement of the last song, Inoue-san wrote on her blog, "I feel frustrated that I couldn't participate in the title song," but this time, you became a member of the title song "BAN”. How did you feel about this outcome?


Inoue: With the previous work, I got a lot of comments from fans saying, "It would be great if you could join the  title track," and this time, I was honestly happy because they said, "Congratulations.” However, since my ultimate goal was not to be in the third row of the title song, I knew that I should not be satisfied with the position I received or with the current status of the group.


Do you have the desire to keep moving up to reach the front row?


Inoue: This is something that I find difficult. There are many different members, and each has their strong points, so I think it doesn't matter which member is in the front. I want to be the one who can lead, but there are also many members who I want to follow behind, so I haven’t found a clear answer yet.


Did your feelings change between the last single and this one?


Inoue: With the last song, I felt frustrated that whether or not I participated in the title song would change my chances of singing on TV and being seen. But for me, my goal wasn't all about being in the title song. I realized that I was being too particular. As I continued my activities, I began to change my perspective on what I wanted to do and how I wanted to present myself. I've come to believe that obsessing about results is a burden, so I've come to focus on having fun every day.

So now I'm trying to look at everything positively. I was even encouraged by a staff member who had seen me talk about my "frustrations" during the time leading up to this work, saying that “there are always people watching over (supporting) you.” If you have time to dwell on it, enjoy it first. I think the fans are happiest when they see us having fun, so I tried to keep that in mind.


Following the previous song, Uemura-san regrettably did not become a member of the title song. To be honest, did you have any wish to be selected?


Uemura: Of course, I have. But as for the result, “I knew it’s going to be this way.” I've been with Keyakizaka46 for about five years as a first-generation member, and for the first time, I wasn’t able to be a member of the title song. It was the first time for me to feel this way, and although the staff would never say "senbatsu" or "under", the fans would take it that way, so I was still frustrated.

After the announcement of the formation of the previous single, I couldn't watch any music programs of groups I wasn't in, and I couldn't listen to the title song, "Nobody's fault." For a while, I couldn't even read the blogs of the members who were in the title song since It was painful to see on the blogs that everyone was having fun shooting music videos and appearing on music programs.


Did you feel better after that?


Uemura: There was no clear distinction, but time just passed… Perhaps it was on the day of Sakurazaka46’s debut (release day of their 1st single). The members of the title song appeared on “2020 FNS Uta Matsuri, 2nd Night” (Fuji TV) which I watched together with the members who weren’t chosen. Because I wasn’t part of the performance, I was able to see it. Because I didn’t know about them (Sakurazaka), I was able to see them not as a member, but as a fan.


Kousaka-san has been participating in the group's singles since the last single, so did you want to join the group for the title song?


Kousaka: I didn't have high hopes, but for this single, my peers Ozono Rei (who was also a member of the title track of "Nobody's fault") and Moriya Rena were chosen. I respected them, but also felt impatient about the gap between us. Being selected as a member of the title song would change the number of times I would appear on TV programs, and I realized that these people were even more amazing than me. I want my parents and fans to see that I am doing this kind of activity, and I also want to be chosen because I want them to feel at ease.


For this album, did you make an effort to be chosen as the title song?


Kousaka: I watched videos to study the facial expressions in the performance and the movements of the members who were good dancers. Personally, I think first-generation member Kobayashi Yui, and my peers Hikaru Morita and Karin Fujiyoshi, are good references. There must be something different between us, and I thought, "If I move like this, I'll be cool.”


In this single, you were chosen to be in the third row for the coupling song. Please tell us about your position?


Kousaka: I have the same position as in the previous single. But some things have changed. In the previous single, I was in a symmetrical position (opposite position) with my good friend Masumoto Kira, but this time, Kira moved 1 person inwards, so I was nervous. I honestly thought she was my comrade (laughs)


Behind the scenes of the music video for the song "BAN," a physical challenge.


The latest single, "BAN," is filled with a variety of feelings. We would like to hear your impressions on the filming of the three songs whose music videos have already been released. Let’s start with Inoue-san who participated in the title song “BAN” with Morita Hikaru-san as the center.


Inoue: The most difficult part was the scene of the last chorus where we danced by the water. It was cold, so I had to take care of my health, and it was hard to finish shooting in the limited time during the day. As you can see in the video, just because the water is only around the feet doesn't mean it's the only place that gets wet. I deliberately got my whole body wet to express a sense of dynamism, so I had to dance in a costume that was heavy with water. It was a battle between the intensity of the performance and the cold as I kicked up to make a splash. We put so much effort into it that some of the members even lost the heels of their boots, so please pay attention to it.


Uemura-san participated in “Guuzen no Kotae” with Fujiyoshi Karin as the center.


Uemura: In order to express the lyrics, we were told to "express sadness and wistfulness," so I was very conscious of my facial expressions. But what I remember most about the set was the cold. It was so cold that I thought I wasn't wearing a costume (laughs). I had experienced much during my time in Keyakizaka46. Even then, it was cold to the same extent as “Fukyouwaon” where I couldn’t even move my body while filming, and when we were deliberately splashed with water in “Eccentric”. Everyone was shooting in a cold environment which would make you curl up for warmth but when I saw the finished work, I thought Fujiyoshi-chan performing with a big smile on her face was “amazing.”


What about Kousaka-san, who participated in “Omotta yori Sabishikunai” with Yamasaki Ten as center?


Kousaka: There are many parts in the choreography where the members are playing with each other and having fun, so the smiles come out naturally. Also, the thing that left the biggest impact on me when filming was the blisters (laughs).


Inoue: It’s a common Sakurazaka46 happening, getting blisters when filming the MV (laughs).


Kousaka: Haha. There were many scenes where we were running as fast as we could, so everyone was in pain. I didn't feel anything during the shoot and enjoyed it, but when the camera stopped, my feet started to hurt. In the final version, the members filmed each other with video cameras, and you can see a lot of natural smiles, just like in the dressing room, so I hope you’ll pay attention to that.


The three of them have one thing in common: They love idols


So far, we've been talking about your music, but I have a few questions for each of you as individuals. First of all, today's combination of Uemura-san, Inoue-san, and Kousaka-san gives me an unusual impression, but to be frank, what do the three of you have in common?


Uemura: We were actually talking about this earlier, but we couldn’t find one (laughs)


Inoue: There weren't many jobs that had us 3 together, it was usually in pairs such as Marino-chan and I or Uemura-san and I.


Uemura: Two of us have something in common, but for 3 people...


Inoue: I don’t think there is (laughs). Ah, but Uemura-san has an image of liking idols, and Marino-chan seems to listen to idol songs, and I watch them a lot. Surprisingly, we mutually like idols.


Uemura: We don’t really talk about it and we didn’t know how much the others liked idols. So today we finally realized that all 3 of us like idols… That’s what we have in common!


Uemura's "mature" side, which can only be understood by her younger colleagues Inoue and Kosaka.


Now, some questions to get to know each of you. First, Inoue-san celebrated her coming of age on her birthday, January 29th. After almost two months, how do you feel about becoming an adult?


Inoue: To be honest, I felt more like it was my “birthday” when I was 17 turning 18. From 18 to 20, it's just like "another year has passed" and it didn’t feel special.


Uemura: Yeah, I get that.


Inoue: So, when I was younger, I was more excited about my birthday and I felt like I was celebrated by many people. Of course, this year's birthday was also celebrated by the members and friends, but I don't feel like I've grown up. I didn't even do any coming-of-age like thing, I just had my furisode photo taken for a magazine. Nothing has changed on the inside (laughs). Now that there are more younger members, I want to be a little more big-sister-like, but since I'm one of the younger ones in the group, I still want to be pampered (laughs).


Then your mental age is still of a child?


Inoue: I wonder. (Uemura-san) Is my mental age low? 


Uemura: Eh〜 At the start I always thought you were mature. There was no hint of being childlike. I meant it in a good way (laughs).


Haha. This year, Harada Aoi-san, a first-generation member, and Ozono-san, a second-generation member, also became adults. Including Inoue-san, who is the most mature among the three of you?


Uemura: You’re the same age as Aoi-chan? (laughs)


Inoue: I've been told that (laughs). By many people, really. I guess it's different for Harada-san because her character as an elementary school student is well established. If she sees this article, she'll say, "Hey!” (laughs). Rei-chan is my peer (same gen member), so even if I tell her it's okay to call me by my nickname, she calls me "Inoue-san" since she joined later. So I guess I'm a little more mature than her (laughs). But we are still three people who want to be pampered.


While Inoue-san has come of age, Kousaka-san has also reached the milestone of graduating from high school. It must have been difficult for you since you were also working as an idol in the middle of the school year.


Kousaka: It wasn't that hard. I was enjoying my high school life even before I joined (*joined in February 2020), and as the manager of the handball club, I would go out for ice cream with my friends after club activities. After I joined, it coincided with the COVID self-restraint period, so school started in June for my last year. There were some changes in events, such as the marathon being replaced by a walking event, but the teachers told me that “you didn't have to go,” so I was fine.


Did you have any trouble balancing your studies?


Kousaka: Even though I took the test without studying, I was able to get high scores. I got a passing grade in every subject.


Uemura: That's amazing! How? (laughs).


Inoue: Smart (laughs).


Kousaka: I'm not smart (laughs).


Inoue: There were members who said they didn't have enough credits.


Uemura: Like not having enough attendance days. It's amazing.


I found out an unexpected side of Kousaka-san (laughs). Last but not least, Uemura-san. In the order of oldest to youngest, you’re third in the group after Watanabe Rika, a first-generation member, and Sugai Yuuka, the captain. Although you're in the older group, what do you think makes you a child?


Uemura: How can I explain it? I guess it’s the part where I can’t do anything alone. I don’t want to go anywhere by myself because it’s scary to be alone. I dread the streets at night so I run home. Even if I have to go to the hospital or do something, I only go out when it is bright.


For example, can you go to a beef bowl restaurant by yourself?


Uemura: Absolutely not! I've never even eaten out alone (laughs).


(Laughs). On the other hand, do you have a part of you where you can proudly say that you are an adult?


Uemura: More and more members tell me that, “you have become more mature”. Just recently, Aoi-chan said to me in a strange, difficult way, "Rina-chan, you’re being philosophical.” Sugai Yuuka often says this, and in interviews and I often hear from interviewers that other members say, "Uemura-san has become more mature”  


What is the mature side of Uemura-san from the perspective of Inoue-san and Kousaka-san?


Inoue: Although she is a senior member, she is very friendly to us. When we, the second generation members joined the group, Uemura-san was the first to talk to us to make it easier for us to join the other senior members. All the other members also say this.


Uemura: You were talking about that? I'm so happy!


Inoue: When I first joined the group, some of the second generation members appeared on a music program as part of "Ambivalent," and they told me that Uemura-san reached out to them. I have the impression that Marino-chan and the others who joined later are also very close to Uemura-san. Now, the junior members are all fighting over her (laughs). If it were me, I would be searching for an opening to talk with the juniors while “wondering how to talk to them.”, and to be able to give off an air of being able to talk easily to is also mature.


Uemura-san is very attentive to her surroundings and usually notices even the slightest things, which gives me a sense of security. She would be there for us if we were crying and would notice any changes in our appearance. She also suddenly told me that, “Your hair grew longer” (laughs). I think of her as my older sister.


Do you consciously look at the other members in your own way?


Uemura: Perhaps because I’m looking from a fan’s perspective. They’re all cute, and I talk to them because I like them and want to know about them. If someone cries, “I wonder why she was crying” and if someone is down, “I wonder what’s wrong” and worry. I tend to say out loud what I think, so I want to hear what happened right away (laughs).


---

Translation: sunsetrider
QC: yumi
Source [Need VPN], more pictures there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1