Masumoto Kira interview with blt graph vol 73


What did Masumoto-san feel through the Sakurazaka46 1st TOUR 2021 that happened this Autumn?


I was put in Kobayashi Yui-san’s (who is in hiatus) position in Ten-san centered “Hanshin Hangi”, but since I am dancing on the stairs at the edge of the stage… I can’t really look at the other members’ movements, and to be honest, I was very anxious.

But, during BACKS LIVE!!, Kobayashi Yui-san taught me “Hanshin Hangi” dance in a one-on-one session, so I definitely want to make the performance for this song a good one, and Kobayashi Yui-san’s fans must be watching like, “Oh, Masumoto is put in (Kobayashi’s) position”, so I don’t want to disappoint them.

I tried to emulate Kobayashi-san’s performance, but when I was conscious of it, I made mistakes in my movements and my expressions became smaller… In the middle of the tour, I switched to expressing “Hanshin Hangi” in my own way to the fullest. From there, I’ve been getting compliments such as “Hanshin Hangi was really good” in meguri or in mobame letters.

From experiencing that, the tour period is where I learned the importance of making the challenge to pursue my own expression.


I am sure the reason you realized it midway, instead of after the tour, was because you are able to calmly look at yourself.


If there are a week or so before the next show, I would forget about my feelings. That’s why I thought about reviewing things by watching the videos of performances, and I’ve come up with a lot of things that I’d like to try such as “Maybe I should do this a little more like this”.

Also when I concentrate on performance, I would lose sight of my surroundings and I tend to hurry up and follow the rhythm too quickly. When I looked at the zoomed out footage, I noticed that the slightest miss is very noticeable. I think that my regret for it was very big. So, I've changed my mindset to watch my surroundings carefully first, align my rhythm and timing with the members, and then from there try to challenge it in my own way.


I suddenly remembered how Saito Fuyuka-san talked about “aligning the choreography” since the early days of Keyakizaka46.


That’s right, Fuyuka-san puts great care to it. If it were me, I would think, “What will everyone think of me if I say this?” and hesitate. But Fuyuka-san properly conveyed what she was thinking for the sake of the group. I feel that her words have led to my growth, and I would like to inherit that side as well.


I think that’s a wonderful way of thinking. And speaking of Masumoto-san, your performance in “Buddies” left a strong impression.


Everyone praised me a lot, but I’m not confident at all… Even on this tour, on the day TAKAHIRO-sensei saw us for the first time after we practiced on our own, he told me, “Masumoto, you were a bit ordinary. I’m sure that there must be a ‘Buddies’ in Masumoto’s own way.”. I was a bit shocked to be told “a bit ordinary”... It made me realize that I was just performing as it is, I was surprised. And when I wondered about what I should do… I reread the lyrics.

Then, since “Buddies = friends”, I made it a goal to make eye contact with all the members to strengthen the feeling of friendship. As I was making eye contact with them, I started to have fun, and when I was laughing widely, I was praised, “You had such a nice smile” (laughs). So, I learned during this tour that it's important to face the lyrics again and change the way to perceive the song.


I think the pure feeling of enjoyment was good.


There is something that I’ve been thinking of. I want to perform “Buddies” with all Sakurazaka members one day. It’s a song with “friends” as the theme, and it is also the fan name for the fans… That way I think that we can feel the unity even more. The BACKS members are waiting backstage during the songs they are not participating in, and I heard before that they are dancing “Buddies” backstage as well, that’s why I want to perform it together with everyone on stage one day.


I’d love to see that scenery one day. I wonder if we’ll see it in Sakurazaka46’s 1st YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE that will be held on 9th and 10th December?


Well~ This is just something I am thinking of (laughs). In ANNIVERSARY LIVE, I just want to make sure that I don’t cry. Because I’ll be reminded of Akane-san and Rika-san in various songs… When we performed “Plastic regret” in BACKS LIVE!!, Akane-san was in front of me, I remember looking at the sight of her back… There is also a choreography where Rika-san and I are facing each other when she is positioned next to me and her smile is so gentle that I cried during the tour (laughs).

I think in “Kimi to Boku to Sentakumono” I will also remember how Akane-san was behind Rika-san, who centered the song in BACKS LIVE!!... And I am sure that I will definitely be reminded of Akane-san when I perform “Omosabi (Omotta Yori mo Sabishikunai)” in the future… When I think about that, it makes me a bit sad. That’s why if BACKS LIVE!! is held again, I’d like to take over Akane-san’s feelings and nominate myself for “Omosabi”s center. Would it be strange?


No, not at all. Come to think of it, do you have any desire to be a part of “Sakura Eight”?


Honestly speaking, I have the feeling of “One day…”. But first, I’m thinking of steadily doing the things in front of me, and it’ll be great if I could see the result in the future .


You are humble. But, they say that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step… The result is important, but I think that the process is even more important. Then, if there is anything else you have been thinking about lately, please tell us about it.


Someday, when juniors enter the group, I’d like to do for them the same thing Akane-san, Rika-san and others did to me. The things that they would want from a senior. I like people who are younger than me, so if 3rd generation members join the group, I’d like to befriend them well.


Could you perhaps be the type of child who wanted to have a younger sister or brother?


That’s right! I like to pamper someone, like, “Good, good~”, I want to adore them. I do the same to insects and such.


Eh, insects?


I also adore insects, I also love cats and dogs… I guess you can say, ”loving them”?


I can understand cats or dogs, but how do you love an insect?


I’d bring them to eye level and say, “Shooo cute” (laughs). Insects have such beautiful eyes, you see, it’s very sparkling. That’s why recently “C”* videos are all I’ve been watching on YouTube--


Hold on, that’s… What do you mean!?


There is this person who keeps about 3,000 "C”'s* to feed their reptiles. When I saw the video of them cleaning the box they kept them in, they were so skillful and it was so refreshing!


*T/N: Cockroach


I-Is that so. Back to the topic at hand… Masumoto-san, do you mind telling us your personal goals?


Through the tour I learned the fun of improving the quality of performance, so I’d like to be able to do a performance that is fun to watch myself. If I watch performance videos, right now I just feel down about it, I hope to be able to look at it in a fun way like “Let’s do this more here”... My goal is not to make my negative thoughts into zero, but to be so confident in my performance that I can add something into it.


Listening to you, I wonder if Masumoto-san is a hardworking type of a person.


It makes me happy to see the result of my hard work, and I like to show it to people, so if I think that my dancing has improved I would quickly show it to Fuyuka-san. Also, Onuma (Akiho)-san has a big influence on me. Onuma-san is the kind of person who is not afraid to take on challenges in dancing, so seeing her made me want to challenge myself more as well.


That’s why the Onuma-san centered in “BAN” left such a big impression, it’s rough but dynamic.


I also love Onuma-san’s “BAN”. I think that during the preparation for BACKS LIVE!! there are a lot of members who are inspired by seeing how she gave her all in facing the music. I thought that I’d be able to be proud of myself if I could perform like that, but Onuma-san said that she wasn’t confident at all. I also feel the same, every day I wonder how I can gain confidence...


It’s certainly not something you can just put on… It’s difficult, isn’t it? It might be something that is born out of the mutual encouragement between members. With that in mind, Masumoto-san, can you tell us what kind of existence the members are to you?


They are my treasure, they are such an important existence, that’s why they are people that I don’t want to be apart from. However, with how Akane-san and Rika-san’s graduation are right before my eyes, I learned that it is not something that lasts forever, so I truly want to cherish every second. I can imagine that in the future, when we go our separate ways and lead our own lives, I will think, "I'm glad I met them," and I want to be the kind of person who can make the members feel that way.


---

Translation: tmi

QC: kiryu

Source

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1