Watanabe Risa's interview with Nonno (May 2022 edition)


Announcing her graduation from Sakurazaka46 and moving towards the next step…

Watanabe Risa talks.

It’s been about seven years since her debut. Watanabe Risa has eagerly run through the times as part of Keyakizaka46 and Sakurazaka46, but what does she have in mind now?

----

The “graduation” was decided after thinking it over many times


I started thinking of graduation about one and a half to two years ago. From that period until the announcement, as I wrote in my blog, there were many times where I rethink about it. Now that I have finally decided to graduate and told the fans about it, I feel really refreshed inside.


I’ve been active as part of Keyakizaka46 for about five years, and when it was decided that we will be renamed into Sakurazaka46, I also thought, “Could this be the timing for my graduation?”. But, it was an important new start for the group. As the members continued to do their best, I also wanted to devote myself into laying the foundation of the group, and so I changed my mind. If I work hard again from scratch together with the beloved members, I should personally grow even more as well. I can think about my graduation later. With those thoughts, I came to face my activities as part of Sakurazaka46.


In December last year, we were able to thankfully welcome our first anniversary as Sakurazaka46. After five years as Keyakizaka46, it was a big challenge for me and the members to create a new group. Now that the group is taking shape, the juniors have each grown their abilities to firmly express themselves. Seeing that, the hesitation that I was having until now disappeared, and the thought that “Sakurazaka46 is doing fine now. So, I’ll graduate from the group and take on new challenges in a new environment” grew in me. I was thinking about the world that would open up and also about my future after graduating. I had been consulting with our captain, Sugai (Yuuka), since the first time I had thoughts about graduating, but when I conveyed my intention to graduate to everyone, they all respected my decision and I’m very grateful for that.


The conflicts between group and individual activities as a model


This summer, it will be seven years since I debuted as an idol. Back when I was 17 years old, I applied for the audition without taking it too seriously due to the recommendation of my close friend in middle school. As someone who didn’t like public attention, I’m shocked that seven years have already passed since I ended up moving to Tokyo and debuted! When we just started our activities, I didn’t think that I would continue for this long. I frantically worked hard and had fun during the time I spent in Keyakizaka46 and Sakurazaka46, so much that I want to praise myself for it. That’s why I don’t have any regrets, and I can proudly say, “I’ve done everything I wanted to do”. But I definitely wouldn’t have been able to get this far all by myself. It is thanks to the precious members, my family and friends who are always by my side, the loving and caring staff members, and of course, the reassuring support from my fans. Without any of them, I wouldn’t have been able to keep going.


Around 2018~2019, there was a period when I was worried about the group’s activities. We weren’t able to release singles one after the other as we wanted, and we weren’t really able to meet the fans. I think the members each had frustrations piling up… Personally, even if I had been entrusted with the important position of Center back then, I would have felt crushed by the burden of the responsibility and would have ended up running away from it. There was a frustrating period in which no matter how much we desperately struggled, things just didn't go our way.

Thinking back now, I feel that such an experience was also necessary, and I am glad to have experienced that. Before that, I would overthink and have the tendency to think negatively, but because I was able to overcome that difficult period, now when things go wrong I am able to see it from another perspective like, “It’s to be expected that there are moments like this”. Having gone through those tough times, I feel that I have grown to be more confident and positive.


The Nonno modeling job that I started in 2017 made me anxious for being in a completely different working environment from that of an idol, but I felt that it became another place where I found a sense of belonging, and I was really happy about it. Moreover it is a magazine that everyone across the country knows, and one that I have been reading for a long time myself. People often asked me, “Is it difficult to be both an idol and a model?”, but it’s hard to answer that question because there are just so many enjoyable things about it that outweigh the difficulties. Although for the first two or so years, I wasn’t able to strike poses as I wanted and felt down when I compared myself to the senior models…

If I had to say something that’s difficult about it, it would be that the group picture is taken in the early morning (laughs). When I was a teenager, I couldn’t help but feel anxious about not being able to wake up in the morning, but I've gotten used to it now. I think I’m becoming more of a morning person. I got to try new expressions I never tried before and got to know a new side of me. I feel that I could bring what I learned in my job as a model to my job as an idol.

I am sincerely glad that I became a Nonno model. There are many fans who told me, “I learned about Risa-chan from Nonno, and from there I became a fan of Sakurazaka46!”. There are also people who would come to meguri (online meet and greet) wearing the same clothes I wore in Nonno. There was a male fan whose younger and older sisters both buy Nonno, and he said “I keep looking forward to the serialization”. I am truly happy to be surrounded by such kind-hearted fans.


A new world and new challenges to be found from now on


I have become confident and proud of my work as an idol, having gotten a group of juniors, experienced the group renaming, and also the chance to work as a model… I’m grateful that I’ve always been able to jump into “a new world” and take on new challenges. Just as how I jumped into and grew in the idol and modeling industry, I want to continue to discover my potential, and continue to evolve while experiencing many things. Other than modeling, if I were given the opportunity, I would like to expand my range of work, such as acting.

At the same time, as I have given my all to the jobs in this industry, I feel that there are still many things that I’ve yet to know about this world. I hope to be able to improve myself more after learning more about society and the world, among many other things. It’s nice to study something as hard as you can like a student, isn’t it? I can’t say for certain yet, but I want to think carefully and sort out things that I want to do. Just like how I learned through my activities as an idol that “I can do anything if I put my mind to it”, I’d like to do my best from now on as well!


There is still some time remaining until my graduation, so I’d like to spend it making memories with the members and fans. First of all, about the members. When I look around, they are all loveable people who’ve made me sincerely glad to be with them. We are all kind of similar to one another. So similar, in fact, that I thought that I was meant to be a part of Sakurazaka46 (laughs). People who are so clumsy, yet straightforward, very shy, and also modest. But I love how when the members are together, we would be full of chatter about trivial things and would fool around! While we have our similarities, we are also unique individuals. The chemistry that is born when we are performing surprised even ourselves. I just simply want to enjoy my time being with these members.


I also want to be even closer with my juniors! I also hope to be able to repay the fans with something tangible that will remain. There are things that will be announced gradually from now on, so I hope that they can look forward to the announcements. Once again, I am truly grateful to those of you who have long supported and stayed close with me as Watanabe Risa’s fan! Please continue to support me a little while longer. Also, I will continue to work as a Nonno model, so first I hope to deliver a new side of me through the pages of the magazine. I’d be happy if you could stay to support both Sakurazaka46 and me, Watanabe Risa!

Translator: tmi

QC: inno, cirrus

Raw: kiryu


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1