Sugai Yuuka's interview with TV Guide Alpha EPISODE XX #96 December 2021

 

Source: https://twitter.com/tvguide_alpha/status/1475059974858764290


Working frantically and earnestly for the sake of the group.

That attitude has been highly valued, and she has been blessed with the opportunity to expand her field of expression.

Sugai Yuuka embodies the importance of making steady efforts.


She became an idol just a few months before her 20th birthday. Since then, it’s been a little over 6 years. She has made strenuous efforts as the captain of Keyakizaka46 and Sakurazaka46, gradually expanding her own field outside of the group. Her next challenge is the musical play “Curtains”. Exactly because this is her first ever experience, she is devoting herself to the preparations for it. Even before the curtain rises, she can’t help but to have expectations. 


---


Q: It seems that the rehearsal for the musical “Curtains” will start from the beginning of the year, but did you have the chance before this interview to speak with Shirota Yu-san, the director and star of the play?

Sugai: There was a day to shoot the poster for the play, and although the time for the shooting was different, I was able to meet Shirota-san and give him my greetings. When I was expressing my gratitude, “Thank you so much for inviting me to be a part of such a wonderful work!”, he said in a very friendly way, “Likewise, thank you for being in the play!”, at that moment I was like “Ah… so it is real (to be in the play)”. I’ve loved watching musicals, so when I was extended the offer, I felt grateful and at the same time I couldn’t believe it, “I’m going to be on a stage play together with these wonderful people...!”.  It was as if a feeling of joy and nervousness was running through my entire body… So, it somehow didn’t feel real, it felt floaty. About 2 years ago, I had the opportunity to play the lead role in the stage play "Hiryuden 2020" (‘20), and I learned how hard and difficult it is to perform live, and for me it was really valuable to experience the enthusiasm and sense of accomplishment that could only be lived through stage play… The experience at that time became a source of growth and support for me in group activities, so I thought that participating in this work will surely be a valuable asset, and I’m already feeling it even before standing on the stage (Laughs).


Q: Because this work is a musical play, there will also be singing performances. I assume you are already doing voice training, but what kind of preparations are you doing exactly?

Sugai: I had been going to voice training lessons before this offer, but now that I will have the opportunity to perform, I’ve been learning again from scratch. It’s not surprising, but the way we use our voice to perform in Sakurazaka46 is completely different… It’s like the challenge I am working on right now is to awaken those unused ranges. I also expect that by improving myself even just a bit, I will be able to support the group in the singing portions too, and in that sense, I feel that I’ve been given a very good opportunity. 


Q: Besides voice training that you just talked about, is there anything else that Sugai-san is working on at this stage?

Sugai: In my case, it seems that my posture affects my vocalization. I was introduced to a specialized gym to find the best way to vocalize while effectively managing my own body physique, so I’ve been going there… I’m still in the middle of exploring it, but this is the first time that I am seriously facing myself in this manner, so I think that I’ve been given a good opportunity.


Q: Listening to what you were saying, it also feels like what an athlete would go through. By the way, in “Hiryuden 2020” I believe you needed to be aware of your position as the “troupe leader”.  This time, there isn’t that kind of pressure, so I think you will be able to genuinely enjoy the play, but what do you think?

Sugai: Hmm… There is a different kind of pressure from last time, and even now, when I imagine the performance, I get overwhelmed with nervousness. This is my first time performing in a musical, and I’m excited that I will be starring together with Shirota-san, who has been playing an active role since I was in junior high and high school, but at the same time, “I have to make sure I don’t lower the quality of this work,” I felt a sense of responsibility… I won’t know exactly what’s to come until we start the rehearsals, but if possible, I’d like to just enjoy it. Actually, the other day I went to see a musical where Shirota-san directed and starred in called “Phantom” (‘19), and that’s how I got fascinated and addicted to the “Phantom of the Opera” musical… (Laughs). I’m so happy to be able to witness a production led by Shirota-san, who has expanded my horizons and world in that way, from the rehearsal room! This is an extremely privileged time for me, so I’d like to make sure to avoid wasting even a second of it. 


Q: I see. I believe this is also something that you will explore further as you rehearse, but at the current stage, what do you think about the role of Niki that you will be performing? 

Sugai: Niki is a rookie actress, so I have the impression that she genuinely enjoys doing stage play. It makes her dreamy, but also energetic. But there’s a bit of a natural airhead, or rather clumsy side to her too (Laughs), and I thought that part of her was lovely. The fact that this is also my first challenge at a musical is something that overlaps, and the color of the one-piece dress I wore for the shooting of the main visuals was also my favorite color, so I am very happy to be able to play the role of this lovely and charming lady named Niki.  I would like to give a performance that conveys her purity to everyone who comes to watch the play.


Q:  I’m looking forward to the lively performance onstage. By the way, Sugai-san, what are your own expectations for this work?

Sugai: I really love the music used in this work, so I’m looking forward to that myself, and since we will be showing a mystery story in a musical setting, I am also excited about how we will create it… Above all, the fact that I will be able to work together on a play with wonderful cast members is something I am looking forward to even from now. I’m also equally nervous about it, though… (Laughs). 


Q: It seems like it will be an extremely valuable experience just to be able to see up close how the leading actors in musicals approach their work during the rehearsals and performances of “Curtains”. 

Sugai: You’re absolutely right, and thankfully there will be performances in Tokyo, Osaka and Aichi for about a month, so I hope to learn a lot from everyone I will be working together with. For example, how do you care for your throat? Personally, I’m curious about Sena Jun, who will be performing the role of Georgia, who has played active roles as male and performed on various stages during her time in Takarazuka Revue; I wonder how she prepares her physical condition for a play.


Q: This may have something in common with concerts, but since stage play is something “live”, I was also wondering if the performance could look slightly different from its first day to its last. How do you view this perspective?

Sugai: In my case, I can only talk about what I experienced in "Hiryuden 2020", but I felt that even though the content was the same, the stage play itself had a completely different feeling, or rather, “an expression unique to that day”… Concerts are similar, I feel that, while still being a novice as I am, it is perhaps what makes the stage so interesting. While enjoying the days full of change characteristic to a stage play, I intend to put all my effort from day one, to stay fired up in the entire process at complete combustion. And because of that, it would be nice if I could have grown a lot by the time it finishes, I want to have grown (Laughs). 


Q: By the way, are there any aspects of Sakurazaka46’s performances that could be of use in the musical? 

Sugai: Hmm… It’s like, I’m hoping that the part where we sing while dancing intensely could live up during the play. We’ve completed concerts full of spirit and willpower, so I somehow think that my experiences in Sakurazaka46 could live up for me to “not lose against my own weaknesses” both physically and mentally.  Also, the fans who’ve always supported me were extremely happy when it was decided that I will appear in “Curtains”… During “Miguri” (online meet & greet = individual sessions), they told me things like, “I’ve been waiting for Yukka (Sugai)’s stage play”, “I got the tickets”, and drew visual illustrations of Niki, I can feel that they are really looking forward to it, so I want to welcome the first day of performance ready to surprise them in a good way.


Q: So you hope to meet and exceed the expectations. It will certainly be a valuable experience, and I believe it will lead to expanding your range of activities. Strangely, the word chosen for today’s talk theme was “Extend”… Besides your experience in the stage play, I believe there are also things that come naturally to you as you grow older. Recently you celebrated your birthday, but did you feel that your perspective and horizons have expanded?

Sugai: I passed the Keyakizaka46 audition when I was 19 years old, so I also feel it within me, how it’s been more than 6 years since I entered this world. Especially in the first year when I debuted with “Keyaki”, there was no choice but to work hard, like, “I must do this no matter what!”… But I’m also certain that the experiences at that time helped strengthen my heart and mind.  Once I was told that “If you live hard enough, it will be fun getting older”, and while still being a novice as I am, I’ve come to understand the meaning of that, like even if I think I’ve failed, “It can be connected to the next”, I hope to grasp things in a positive way and continue having many kinds of experiences from now on. It would be wonderful if I could colorfully paint my days in ‘22 in this way. 


Q: It’s not a kotodama (power word), but for example, saying positive things will make you feel better too. 

Sugai: Yes. But when I let my guard down, I tend to say negative things… Today as well, I almost said “I’m nervous, I’m nervous” over and over again, so I started humming songs or brushing my teeth to distract myself from feeling nervous(Laughs). 


Q: So that is Sugai-san’s “No-nervous routine”!

Sugai: Not exactly like that, but… It’s like saying “It’s hot” when it’s cold to convince myself otherwise (Laughs). By saying it, I gradually start to feel it that way, so when I’m having a hard time, I would say “This is fun~, I’m happy!” out loud to myself. 


Q: When you are doing group activities and say something like “I’m tired~”, the weariness will not only affect you but also your surroundings. 

Sugai: That’s right! So, when I feel tired, I try to say “This is fun~” (Laughs). If I suddenly let my guard down, I will end up losing against my own weakness, so I’ve always been conscious of this. 


Q:  Then finally, while looking back on ‘21, would you tell us about your aspirations in ‘22, such as how you would like to expand your activities, where new challenges await?

Sugai: In ‘21, I’ve been working on adopting the themes of “Sincerity” and “Challenge” within me, so in ‘22 I would like to continue challenging everything with strong desires. And exactly because I have a great challenge of “Curtains” waiting for me from the beginning of the year, I’m extremely grateful. I would like to make “Curtains” a success and develop my ability to work in a wide range of activities through the experience I gain. I have a feeling that this will become a great experience in my life, and by the time it reaches the final performance, a completely different world and scenery will expand in front of my eyes… I want to make it last as such. And it would be even more ideal if what I have gained could become a plus, when I bring it back to the group… I want to be able to contribute to the advancement of the group, and as a 26-year-old woman, I want to make ‘22 a year in which I can feel a bigger sense of accomplishment. 

----

Translation: deedlitmurata

QC: Nira, jacintoo, t_x_w_c

Raws: deedlitmurata

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1