Uemura Rina x Seki Yumiko interview from BOMB May 2022



In the second part of the feature, Uemura Rina and Seki Yumiko, who became the title song members of the single "Samidare yo," appeared. The two are not so similar to each other, but their relaxed atmosphere is somehow a match. I wonder if this is how the time will gently flow on the day of their sleepover. 


Common points are "love of idols," "musical instruments," and "members who sing the title song."


You two are senior and junior, but do you remember the first time you met each other?

Seki: It was when we stood in a row facing each other (laughs)

Uemura: Right (laughs)

Seki: I was so nervous that I couldn't really look at the seniors.

Uemura: All of the 2nd-generation members always cried at the beginning.

Seki:  My admiration for them is too strong and I thought I shouldn't get close to them.

Uemura: On the other hand, we, 1st-generation members lacked confidence in ourselves. We were happy that there were so many girls who entered. The first single after they joined was "Ambivalent," and I was amazed that the 2nd-generation members were able to dance to this song right from the start.

Seki: The choreography was difficult, and I felt like I was too presumptuous to be allowed to dance with the seniors. But Uemura-san always talked to me in a friendly manner. There are so many things that I feel she greatly helped me with. 


How did you become closer?

Seki: Uemura-san was the first person I was paired with in a variety show.

Uemura: Right. I felt we became closer because of that.

Seki: I think Uemura-san was also the first senior I talked to after I joined the group.

Uemura: I think Yumi-chan was also the first junior I talked to properly.


There was a story talked about in the show about how Uemura-san went to Seki-san’s house, wasn't there?

Seki: Uemura-san, Inoue Rina-chan and I had a photoshoot together. It ended early, and we said, "Let’s talk a little more.”

Uemura: I heard that 2nd-generation members often get together at Yumi-chan's house. So I said, "I want to go too!”, and she was very kind to let me in.


Was the room of “Chairman Yumiko” indeed amazing? 

Uemura: She only moved to Tokyo for a few days, but it was amazing how all the furniture were already there!

Seki: Fufu (laughs). That was when my hair was still long, isn’t it?… no nostalgic.

Uemura: That brings back memories! As I said in the program, I was really shocked to see that she was using cardboard and duct tape to cover the ventilation openings (laughs). It was a windy time of year, so I thought she was reinforcing it…

Seki: I was afraid of insects coming into my house (laughs). I knew that I can’t let any insects come in, so the other day I put up the covering.

Uemura: I noticed that too (laughs)


What do the 2 of you have in common?

Seki: Idols… we like them, right?

Uemura: Right. There are not many girls in the 1st-generation who are into them, but there are many girls in the 2nd-generation who like idols, so in that sense too, I was happy to have juniors.


Another point in common is you are both play an instrument

Uemura & Seki: Ah!

Uemura: Saxophone, right?

Seki: Yes. It’s the trumpet for Uemura-san, right?

Uemura: Right. Yumi-chan, didn't you play with some people on the show?

Seki: At (Yamasaki) Ten’s request, we formed a band.

Uemura: Yes, that one! I wish I was included too〜 (laughs)

Seki: Ahaha (laughs). Have you played the trumpet recently?

Uemura: No, not at all. I’m not even sure where my trumpet is.

Seki: I see (laughs)


The two of you actually have one more thing in common: You both became title song members on the fourth single, "Samidare yo"!

Uemura: Right after the formation announcement, I went to Yumi-chan and told her, “I’m happy for you!”

Seki: But I was a bit flustered that time…

Uemura: Right. I thought you didn't seem too happy about it (laughs).

Seki: Rather than feeling happy, I was more like, “Eh? Did they just call my name…?”. I don't really remember much (laughs).

Uemura: So that was it〜 I thought I wouldn't make it this time either, so when I was called up, I was so shocked. I was so surprised that even the staff and the members laughed at me.


What is your impression of the music? 

Seki: The atmosphere is a bit similar to the one that Uemura-san and I have experienced in the past, isn't it?

Uemura: It's a calm type of song, right?

Seki: But the choreography had a new feel to it, so much so that I thought about how Sakurazaka46 could have a new figure like this.

Uemura: TAKAHIRO-sensei said that he made the choreography easy for anyone to dance.

Seki: We would love for fans to dance with us!


Finally, what would you like to do together in the future?

Seki: The other day, I had the opportunity to appear on the fan club radio show "Sakumimi" with Uemura-san. It was fun to talk with her in a very relaxed atmosphere.

Uemura: It was fun~. It really felt like our usual feeling.

Seki: If the fans are okay with that kind of laid-back talk (laughs), then I'd like to do it again with Uemura-san

Uemura: I'd like to do it again. What I would like to do is go to Asakusa to walk around as we snack. I think Yumi-chan looks good in a kimono, so I would like to have her dress me in a cute kimono and walk around with her. 

Seki: Sounds fun! I'm confident I can find a cute kimono that would look great on you, Uemura-san!

Uemura: I'm glad to hear that~

Seki: I would like to take pictures of Uemura-san while coordinating her clothes in many ways. Her skin is fair, so light pink clothes would look good on her.

Uemura: Sounds good. I like light pink.

---

Translation & raw: sunsetrider

QC: tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1