Watanabe Risa x Sugai Yuuka dialogue [Watanabe Risa's Graduation Memorial Book]


The lead hitter for the memorial dialogue, is our Sakurazaka46 captain, Sugai Yuuka. 

Being in the same generation, they have been in a friendly rivalry since the beginning of their activities, and the bond that has deepened while competing against each other is higher than the mountain, deeper than the sea…..


A rare relationship and strong bond of mutual teasing and respect


Risa-san, why did you choose hot spring and horseback riding for the shoot with Sugai-san?


Risa: In creating this memorial book, I had the image that it would be nice to take photos with the members as if we were on a graduation trip. Among them, Yuuka has been leading the group as captain, and when I was thinking about where to take her, I thought we could relax in a hot spring and refresh ourselves within nature. And since Yuuka is all about horses, I wanted to go horseback riding with her. It was my first time riding a horse, but it was very fun.


Sugai: I’m glad. I had known in advance that Risa was graduating, but hearing this project made me realize “Ah, she really is graduating”. But, I am really happy about the reason why she chose the hot spring. I thought it was kind of her, and it became a day I will never forget. Risa also looked great riding the horse. 


Risa: I had the image of a horse as something strong, but when I actually tried riding them, it turns out they are very sensitive and delicate. I thought it was cute, and I think I understood what Yuuka meant when she said “Horses are cute”. 


Sugai: Yes, they are big but sensitive. There’s a gap, right?


Risa: Yes, the gap is amazing.


Sugai: I’m glad. With this, we are now horse buddies.


It seems that the two of you have grown closer since 2019. 


Risa: Of course we have talked to each other since the beginning, and we were both in “Aozora to MARRY” too, but it was not the kind of relationship where we would frequently go out for meals. 


Sugai: Around Tokyo Dome?


Risa: Yeah. During the rehearsals for the National Tour, I started to one-sidedly tease Yuuka a lot. In doing so, I guess we became closer.


Sugai: Thanks to your teasing, I felt like I was able to reveal myself more. I am really thankful that you opened up to me like that, and I am also comfortable with this kind of relationship. I am one of the oldest in the group, but when I was in school, I was actually teased like the youngest (lol). 


Risa: After that, we started going out for meals. During the latter half of last year, together with Pe-chan (Watanabe Rika) and Habu (Mizuho)-chan, the four of us spent a lot of time together, eating together and going out. Yuuka in particular has been around me a lot recently, so I feel relieved, or rather, if she weren’t around, she is a presence I would want to call to my side.


Sugai: I feel how big Risa's presence is even more since we became Sakurazaka46. There are fewer 1st generation members now, and especially when working as a Sakura Eight, she is an irreplaceable presence with whom I can share my feelings. 


Risa: Me too, the times when I have deep conversations with Yuuka has increased. 


When you noticed that your relationship had deepened, was there something that attracted you to each other?


Risa: Yuuka usually has the image of being the reliable one in the group, but I noticed that she actually has a side of her that likes being spoiled, or like a little sister.


Sugai: I think Risa has a charm that makes everyone around her fall in love with her. I wonder if it is the power to move people's hearts, regardless of whether they are of the same or opposite gender, that makes them think, “If Risa says so, then there is no other way”. I wonder if the fans find it attractive too. On the other hand, she also has a passionate side that hates to lose. She’s almighty and can do anything, but I really felt that there’s a lot of effort behind it. 


Risa: Thanks for praising me (laughs).


I also have the impression that such a passionate side has become stronger since becoming Sakurazaka46. 


Risa: It is true that after the renaming, I have become more conscious that I need to lead the group more, that I need to be more firm. Surely we will be compared to Keyakizaka46, and some people will say “I liked it better before”, but I wanted to prove to the fans who are cheering for us that “I’m glad they made this choice”. But Yuuka was a big part of what made me think and feel that way. If Yuuka was not there, I think my heart would have been broken somewhere along the way, so I am really glad she was there.


Sugai: That makes me happy…..


If someone from the 1st generation were to center for the first time…..


By the way, when Risa-san took over as the center for “Mugon no Uchuu”, Sugai-san mentioned “If someone from the 1st generation were to center for the first time, I think it would be Risa”.


Risa: Oh, is that so!


Sugai: Risa has the brilliance, so I thought she would be the first one from the 1st generation. Which is why I think everyone was happy that she centered such a lovely song that is “Mugon no Uchuu”.


Risa: I am thankful. Since we became Sakurazaka46, it is always the 2nd generation who centers. I was very happy seeing my juniors grow up to be reliable, but I also want someone from the 1st generation to center one day. Actually, I wanted to see Yuuka do it someday.


Sugai: That’s the first time I heard of that. The fact that I can talk to Risa like this, along with the fun conversations too, of course, but the hard times that we shared together was a big part of it for me. In all our activities until now, there have been times when it becomes both physically and mentally tough, but we’ve come this far while encouraging each other through those times, working together to create something we look forward to while saying, “Let’s do our best to get to this point!” I was really encouraged by Risa’s presence. 


Together with the graduated members Moriya Akane-san and Watanabe Rika-san, the two of you were together in the unit “Aozora to MARRY”. The performance at the Anniversary Live in December 2021 was very memorable. 


Risa: I was really happy when we found out that we could do it. “Koko ni nai Ashiato” was only performed during the 2017 Keyakizaka46 Tour, so I am very happy that we could show it to the fans again. 


During “Aozora ga Chigau”, many past footage from the Keyakizaka46 era were shown on the screen behind. 


Risa: I also first noticed that during the rehearsals. I thought, “This is bad. I might cry”, so I tried not to look at it as much as possible during the performance. But I was so embarrassed because we were all so young (laughs).


Sugai: You’ve really changed, Risa. But it was fun.


Risa: During the intro, I heard faint voices from the audience and I realized, “Ah, so you’ve been waiting for it”. I was really happy to be able to perform it. 


After Risa-san leaves, what do you think will happen to the relationship between the two of you? 


Risa: I hope to see each other regularly even after I leave the group, and I hope to continue to make as many memories as always. 


Sugai: With Risa gone, I will be the only one left in “AoMarry”, but I want to cheer on Risa, who will be doing her best outside the group from now on, with all my might. And I want you to let me know about anything if you have any troubles. And I would be happy if we could meet regularly and do lots of fun things. 


---

Translator & raw: Shirobear

QC: Nira, Keishi, Sunsetrider

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1