I, who was a nobody, and the future of Sakurazaka46 (Ozono Rei interview from BUBKA January 2023)

Three years ago, when Keyakizaka46 was standing at Tokyo Dome, Ozono Rei had not entered the group yet. This fact has always been on her mind, even after her activities in Sakurazaka46 went into full swing. Now that she has stood in Tokyo Dome, which she has longed for, and came in contact with the memories of Keyakizaka46, we can't take our eyes off her evolution.


About standing in Tokyo Dome 


Q When you first heard you were going to hold a concert in Tokyo Dome, what were your thoughts?


Ozono: The second generation members, including myself, thought “Isn’t it too early?”. I remember talking with (Tamura) Hono-chan and Matsuda (Rina) about how it's not so much that we will stand in the Tokyo Dome, but rather we are given the chance to stand there. After that, we learned about (Sugai) Yuuka-san’s plan to graduate. Of course there was a feeling of loneliness, but I was glad that her promise of “bringing the new second generation to Tokyo Dome” was fulfilled in the end. 


Q The Tokyo Dome performance was on the last day of the “2nd Tour 2022 ‘As You Know?’”, so as the tour progressed, the parting with Sugai-san came closer.


Ozono: During the tour, Uemura (Rina)-san broke her bone and was unable to participate, Yumiko-chan (Seki Yumiko) had to take a break for some performances, and Hikarin (Endo Hikari) was unable to participate from the beginning, so I felt the absence of the three was bigger than the number of members. So when I thought about what would happen after Yuuka-san’s graduation, I felt even lonelier.


Q Three days before the actual performance in Tokyo Dome, it seems that you received harsh words from TAKAHIRO-sensei?


Ozono: Eh?! How did you know that?


Q I heard it from Yamasaki (Ten)-san (laughs)


Ozono: That’s right. I’m surprised〜(laughs). That was the first time I saw TAKAHIRO-sensei like that. After dancing, he usually talks to us about the corrections to be made, but at that time, he looked blank and stared at one place. We had to wait for quite a while. The dancers were also uneasy, and it felt as if time had stopped. After that he talked to us. 


Q According to Yamasaki-san, you were asked about where you wanted to go. 


Ozono: There was that, but there was one more thing too. It was the rehearsal for “10gatsu no Pool ni Tobikonda”.  I think TAKAHIRO-san, who valued the meaning of performing Keyakizaka46 songs at Tokyo Dome, also wanted to convey whether or not he understood Sugai-san’s feelings. Certainly, I was desperately remembering “10 gatsu no Pool”, and reflected on how there are parts that I did with no problem. When we were told that "there is a big gap between those who can do it and those who can’t," I thought that the new second generation members were not keeping up. Later, at the rehearsal of "Fukyouwaon," everyone showed the same spirit as the real performance, and TAKAHIRO-san praised us, saying, “You did well”. I cried because I felt relieved that the new second generation did not stand out badly. At that time, (Kobayashi) Yui-san, Yuuka-san and (Saito) Fuyuka-san who were nearby encouraged me. 


Q Did Ozono-san’s mindset change?


Ozono: Yes. I realized once again that even though I had just learned the choreography, I had to give it my all, even though I didn't know what I was doing. 


Q Did you have a complex about not having stood on the stage of Tokyo Dome three years ago because you joined the second generation of Keyakizaka46 halfway through? 


Ozono: I've had that complex ever since I saw the second generation members standing in Tokyo Dome before I joined Keyakizaka46. I think all six of us thought the same. 


Q Did you have a positive feeling to use that frustration as a springboard?


Ozono: Hmm… It wasn't that I was "frustrated" but rather I felt a complex about not having memories to share with everyone. I think it was an unforgettable concert for Keyakizaka46, so not being able to experience those cheers... I guess I was "frustrated" after all.


Q During the MC for the Tokyo Dome concert, Ozono-san said, "It's the best view of my life.”


Ozono: The view was truly amazing. During the opening dance track, at first we were in a vertical line facing downwards. I got goosebumps the moment I looked up and Yui-san shifted in front of me and I could see the audience.


Q I think you could bring out the joy in a song that makes you smile, but it would be difficult with a cool dance track.


Ozono: My mouth was about to drop open, but I kept up coolly with the robot dance (laughs). 


The memories of music


Q For the first five songs, the fans didn’t turn on their penlights while you performed. 


Ozono: We asked them to turn off their penlights so that the light used for the performance would stand out. We were that particular about the production that we felt we had to give a performance that would attract the fans. On the other hand, I felt the gratitude of having penlights shining during the normal live performances. It’s because I feel relieved when I find my own color.


Q Were there any songs that left a lasting impression on you in this zone?


Ozono: Performing “BAN" on the moving stage was memorable for me because it was the first time for us to dance above the fans. I wonder how the fans felt when they watched it. The moving stage is different from usual, because it can be viewed from a 360-degree angle. I felt that there were no more moments to let my guard down.


Q In the unit zone, together with Inoue Rina-san, and Tamura Hono-san, you sang “Zutto Haru Dattara Naa”. While there were many fast paced dance songs, I think the relaxed songs spiced up the whole live performance. 


Ozono: On the first day of Tokyo Dome, I sang while thinking about Yuuka-san, and I found myself crying.


Q Because the lyrics overlap [with her graduation]?


Ozono: Yes. When I realized that Sugai-san was graduating and that it would be the last time, I started to cry.


Q Did you imagine different things during the tour?


Ozono: During the tour, I sang the song with the image of two high school seniors who are in love with each other but are not together.


Q I thought the three of you had the right vibe for the song. 


Ozono: Thank you very much. When I first saw the lyrics, there were so many "yura yura" and "hira hira" that I was worried if I would be able to express them. During the performance, the three of us sang in different pitches, and I think the harmony sounded beautiful and the song turned out to be wonderful.


Q Are the costumes original for “Zutto Haru Dattara Naa”?


Ozono: It's not like that. We had originally planned to wear cool black and pink costumes, but we felt it would be a waste to lose the ability to do the choreography with the skirts. The three of us agreed that it didn’t feel right, and then we remembered that we had a costume that we had prepared but had never used. We negotiated to be able to use those costumes, and we were overjoyed when it was decided that we could wear them.


Q Before the start of “Samidare yo”, there was a scene where Ozono-san was reading a book all by herself. 


Ozono: I was extremely nervous, but I was happy to be entrusted with that time. When I asked the director, "How should I feel when I read the book?”, I was told that “Even if you are locked up, you aren’t pitiful. I want you to become a child who likes and enters the world of books”. The actual book is only blank pages, but for each performance I imagined the contents of the book as I read it. For example, I imagined a family album, a picture of the sea, an album with Yuuka-san on the first day of Tokyo Dome, and a future plan of Sakurazaka46 on the second day. Sometimes I couldn't turn the pages properly, so I was freaking out (laughs).


Q “Nobody's fault" is Sakurazaka46's debut song, and I think it’s an important song for Ozono-san as she became a title song member.


Ozono: We performed with a completely different feeling from when it was first released. There has been a change of members, and I was very happy to be able to perform with all the first generation members who participated in the latest "Nobody's fault". In terms of position, I was diagonally behind Yuuka-san, so I danced with the feeling of a great back. 


Q How did you see Morita Hikaru-san moving forward alone?


Ozono: It was cool. It was also nice that the performance in Fukuoka (25th and 26th of October), had lights shining on the stage from four directions.


Q You performed "Buddies" in the position of Risa Watanabe, who had graduated. 


Ozono: When I was walking down the runway, it seemed as if the audience was spread out everywhere, but to avoid regret, I looked in all directions. 


Q Did your eyes meet with the Kobayashi-san, who is in a symmetrical position?


Ozono: Our eyes met… and our hands touched briefly as we passed by each other (laughs). 


Q Is that so? (Laughs). Was it exciting to see Kobayashi-san's performance up close?


Ozono: Of course our intensities were so different that I thought to myself, "I have to catch up” while performing. 


Q The dance track at the end of the show was interesting, it was like a performance that shows a summary of [the releases] until now.


Ozono: I was in charge of "Zutto Haru Dattara Naa”. It's a dance track that reminds you of earlier performances, while the other songs have short dances, I only had to scatter flower petals, so I was worried whether people would remember “Zutto Haru Dattara Naa”. 


Q We understood immediately (laughs). 


Ozono: I am relieved (laughs). 


Q How was Masatsukeisuu at the end?


Ozono: The first time we performed "Masatsukeisuu" was on YouTube, with only white lights and a pitch-black floor. At Tokyo Dome, we recreated the same situation as when we first performed "Masatsukeisuu" for the first time. On the first day of the Osaka performance (2nd of September), I was physically at my limit so much so I feel like I’m going to pass out, but as the performances went on, I got stronger, and I think I was satisfied with my performance at Tokyo Dome. I gave it my all.


Q During the encore, you performed Keyakizaka46 songs. The six second generation members who joined midway did not have many chances to perform as Keyakizaka46, so I think they became more aware that "we were Keyakizaka46, too" by being able to perform four songs at Tokyo Dome.


Ozono: I became more aware of that. I saw "10 gatsu no Pool ni Tobikonda" that was performed on the first day for the first time at "Keyakizaka46 THE LAST LIVE" and thought, "They are doing something amazing.” However, when I tried the choreography for this live, I found that it entered my body surprisingly easy. I felt that I had grown up and learned the choreography faster than I did two years ago.


Q Have you been able to overcome what TAKAHIRO-sensei told you?


Ozono: Yes. I gave it my all.  It was the first and last time to perform "10 gatsu no Pool" with these members at Tokyo Dome, so I performed with the feeling of not wanting to regret it. 


Q On the first day, you also sang “Sekai ni wa Ai Shika Nai”. I think you have been watching this song since you were a fan.


Ozono: We also performed it on the trainee tour (The center was Masumoto Kira). 


Q I see!


Ozono: That’s why it became unbelievable (laughs). 


To muster up courage


Q On the second day, you performed “Fukyouwaon”. 


Ozono: It was crazy (laughs). I could hear the roar of the fans even through my earpiece, and I gave it my all so much that I thought, "I could die here”. Harada (Aoi)-san used to be the watchtower that shot arrows, but this time Kira had the role of shooting with the bow and arrow, and I, Renaa (Moriya Rena) and Akiho (Onuma Akiho) had the role of lifting her up. We struggled a lot and practiced right up to the last minute. I am very happy that we succeeded in the real performance.


Q How was Sugai-san’s performance? 


Ozono: It was amazing. I was crouching next to Yuuka-san during her “Boku wa yada!”, but even without looking up, I could feel the power in the air. 


Q After "Fukyouwaon," were you able to stand still by "Sajin"? 


Ozono: Thanks to the applause from the fans, I was able to stand up. I think it was the same for everyone else as well. 


Q In my mind, that applause felt like a prayer for the members of Sakurazaka46 to get up from the “Fukyouwaon”. 


Ozono: Wow~. So that's how it is. I feel like I'm going to cry (Tearing up). In rehearsal, I immediately went to the "Sajin" position, but in the actual performance, I went all out with "Fukyouwaon". I was able to catch my breath when the fans clapped for us. Ten-chan, who was standing behind me, tapped me on the shoulder, and I was able to calm down. I was wearing an earpiece, so I couldn't hear the applause in real time, but when I watched the video later, I learned that the applause had not stopped.


Q At the graduation ceremony, Sugai-san had a message for each member on the first day, and on the second day, each member had a message for Sugai-san. On the first day, Ozono-san fixing Sugai-san's hair left a strong impression.


Ozono: It was cute how Yuuka-san didn’t care and I liked it,but in the end I was concerned about her. I told myself, "Be brave!”, and fixed her hair. Afterwards, the makeup artist complimented me (laughs). I was happy to hear Sugai-san say, "I have high expectations for you”. It made me realize that I had to work even harder.


Q On the second day, did Ozono-san say what she wanted to say?


Ozono: I cried a lot on the first day (laughs), so I think I was able to calmly convey my feelings on the second day. 


Q The last song, "Sono Hi Made," was performed by Sugai-san as she walked down the runway holding hands with each of the members. 


Ozono: Sugai-san and I made an homage to our hand-holding gesture in "Saishuu no Chikatetsu ni Notte". “Saishuu no Chikatetsu ni Notte" was on our first single, so it brought back memories of those days. Whenever I would hold hands with Yuuka-san, she would always smile at me. It was the same this time.


Q For Ozono-san, what kind of presence did Sugai-san have?


Ozono: When we joined Keyakizaka46 as new second generation members, the first person we met was Sugai-san alone. Even though she was going through a difficult time in Keyakizaka46, she treated us kindly with a smile. The anxiety we had at the time about what would happen to us in the future was blown away. After that, every time we saw Yuuka-san’s smiling face, we felt cheerful. When we happened to be together alone, Sugai-san asked me,  "How are you doing lately?” and I told her about my worries.


Q Do you want to protect the future Sakurazaka46?


Ozono: When I heard that third generation members came to see the second day of Tokyo Dome, I tried to give a performance that conveyed the message that Sakurazaka 46 is a good group. Although Yuuka-san’s graduation was sad, I think the concert was an opportunity for us to look to the future. The current second generation members are becoming more aware that "we have to make our own moves”. I also talked with Matsuda, the new captain, about which direction we would like the group to take in the future.


Q Do you have a desire to lead the group after joining the Sakura 8?


Ozono: Hmmm... The position is something given to me, so I have no control over it, but I would like to be able to participate in more songs. I like the production period, so I want to participate in as many music video shoots as possible. I want to lead the group. However, as I joined the group and time went by, I found many things that I lack. First of all, I want to grow so that I can have confidence in myself.


---

Translation: keishi
QC: tmi
Raw: keishi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1