The Memories of Sakura Color That Never Fades (Seki Yumiko and Inoue Rina interview from Gekkan Entame March - April 2023)


Looking back on the bond with her best friend who have been by her side this whole time. 

Seki Yumiko has announced that she will graduate from the group after the 5th single activities. This time we will talk about Seki’s graduation along with her best friend Inoue Rina. The bond between the two who are always together in trouble and joy is unraveled.

 

ーSeki and Inoue who have similar thoughts during “10 Gatsu no Pool”


Q: Seki-san, what made you make up your mind to graduate from Sakurazaka46?

Seki: Perhaps it is not obvious, but it has been more than 4 years since the 2nd generation joined the group. When I sent off our seniors on their graduations, it made me think about various things. That is the reason why I decided to graduate.


Q: Are you currently in the process of making memories with the others?

Seki: Since I have yet to encounter a circumstance in which I strongly feel my graduation, it still hasn't set in right now (laughs). But I guess I will feel it more with the increase of things like my last recording for “Soko Magattara Sakurazaka?” comes, for instance.


Q: Inoue-san, how did you feel when you heard about Seki-san's graduation?

Inoue: I heard the news that Seki will graduate before the other members. Every time each one of us went through a rough time and said “I’m giving up”, the other would say “You can still do it!” so we had that kind of relationship where we encouraged each other. But this time, those words have changed. After I thought about it carefully, I think that it was something that she has decided after thinking carefully about her future.

Seki: Yeah, you were calm this time.

Inoue: Like I said! I’ve accepted it and am not in denial anymore!


Q: Did you think that you should tell Inoue-san first before the others?

Seki: Since Inoue and I are always next to each other by the name order, we had a lot of opportunities to talk ever since we joined. But since the release of the 1st single, we have grown much closer and we can talk about anything. It was because of Inoue that I managed to continue on until this point, so that’s why I felt like it is not right if I told her at the same time as the other members. I’m sure that if it’s Inoue, she’d accept it without affirming or denying it, so I could talk to her with ease.


Q: So after that, you talked about it to everyone?

Seki: I was really nervous. I have a habit of lifting my pants when I am nervous, and I was unconsciously doing it for so many times that Inoue teased me about it (laughs).

Inoue: It practically became high-waisted pants (laughs).


Q: Who were the members that you didn’t expect to be crying that you wrote in your blog?

Seki: They were (Fujiyoshi) Karin, (Morita) Hikaru, and (Yamasaki) Ten. I understand if that would make them sad, but their reaction was unexpected, like “Why are you crying that much?”. But that sure made me happy.


Q: Inoue-san, did you also cry?

Inoue: Since I decided that I will not cry, when Yumi-chan was surrounded by the others, I went to a different room and cried there by myself.


Q: People have the impression that Seki-san joined the group because you love Keyakizaka46.

Seki: There might be fans who thought “It’s because Seki liked Keyakizaka46…”, but I love Sakurazaka46 just like I love Keyakizaka46. Both are equally important to me. It’s not because “Since it has become Sakurazaka46…” (that I graduate), but it’s a decision I made after thinking about my future.


Q: Since you love Sakurazaka46, didn’t you feel frustrated when you can’t participate in some of the performances during the national 「2nd Tour 2022 “As you know?”」?

Seki: Even though it’s not like I’ve already decided it at that time, my health condition got worse when I was thinking about my graduation, and it did make me feel frustrated. It was regrettable, but I also want to participate in Sugai-san’s last Tokyo Dome (November 8th & 9th),, so I made up my mind to get healthy before that.


Q: During the encore of the Tokyo Dome performance, Keyakizaka46’s songs were performed In particular on the first day, “10 Gatsu no Pool ni Tobikonda” was performed, which I think is a song that you are fond of.

Seki: For me “10 Gatsu no Pool” was a song that I have regrets about. Even though I wasn’t able to perform it right in front of the fans until that time, but in Tokyo Dome I managed to deliver it, like "Here I was".

Inoue: I’m also happy that we were able to perform “10 Gatsu no Pool”. About performing the  Keyakizaka46 songs, it’s not about feeling “happy” or “bitter””, but we performed it with the hope that Sugai-san can depart from the group without regret.


Q: Is the reason why both of you became close was because both of you were in the formation of “10 Gatsu no Pool” that was scheduled to be released, but then both of you didn’t enter the formation of Sakurazaka46’s first single, “Nobody’s fault”?

Inoue: At the time, it was me and Yumi-chan that were straightforward about our frustration. We both don’t usually show our emotions in front of others, so I did wonder if she had the same feelings as me.

Seki: Being in the same group doesn’t necessarily put us in the same situation, but that did happen for me and Inoue during the transition from “10 Gatsu no Pool” to “Nobody’s fault”. That’s why I can talk to Inoue about what's on my mind as it is, and both of us practically had the same thought.

Inoue: That time, I'd always think no matter what I say someone will always disagree with me, but Yumi-chan would always listen to me.

Seki: We poured out to each other our feelings that had no place to express to, though now it is something that we can laugh about, right? (laughs).

Inoue: Yeah, we were young back then (laughs).


Q: Both of you sure became close even in private.

Inoue: Our hobbies are similar, and the places we would go shopping are also the same, so we just ended up naturally going out together.

Seki: Both of us like music too, so we would tell each other about artists that we like. We also went  to concerts together before.

Inoue: I actually don’t really tell people about the songs I’m listening to, but I can talk about it with Yumi-chan.

Seki: We’ve also made playlists and exchanged it with each other (laughs).


Q: Even after your graduation, would you still like to continue this relationship?

Seki: I would love to.

Inoue: I wonder if it would be hard for the both of us to match our schedule after you graduated?

Seki: When I’m still in the group, we would receive the whole schedule, so we would know if both of us are free. But after graduation, I have to ask her first if she’s free on a particular day.

Inoue: Even after you graduate, I will send you my schedule so invite me, okay! (laughs).


Q: From Inoue-san’s perspective, please tell us the charm of Seki-san’s performance!

Inoue: Her expression and gestures are seeping out some kind of classiness. She can perform beautifully and I am kind of jealous of that side of her.


Q: Seki-san, you seem to be able to show your “feminine” side in performance and that gradually builds up your presence. I was especially moved by your performance of  “Guuzen no Kotae” during BACKS LIVE.

Seki: There were fans that said “It made me love ‘Guuzen no Kotae’!”, and “I applied for your meet & greet after seeing your performance for ‘Guuzen no Kotae’”. It did make quite a reaction. I’m happy that I can express my feelings to the fans that I love “Guuzen no Kotae”.


Q: Ever since you decided to graduate, have there been any changes in the way you are performing?

Seki: During the end-of-year music show, I decided to perform without thinking “this might be my last”. I believe what’s important is that I can enjoy to perform on that day.


Q: Do you want to participate in concerts until the time of your graduation?

Seki: Since I’ve managed to stay here over the past 4 years thanks to all the fans that have been looking over me, it would be nice if I can perform for them.


Q: Inoue-san, how would you spend your limited time left with Seki-san?

Inoue: Just like how we used to do after all this time. But, I want Yumi-chan to understand that I’m much more sad about this than you think. She said things to me, like “Inoue isn’t sad about me leaving at all” or “You didn’t write about my graduation on your blog.” (laughs).

Seki: (laughs).


Q: You didn’t write about it on your blog?

Inoue: I have a lot of things to say about Yumi-chan, and I also think that the fans are curious about it, but I can’t write about it, okay?! Even though I might’ve said it jokingly right now, I don’t know what will become of me when the time for her last activity is approaching (laughs). But, I do want to send her off with a smile.


ーTheir interaction [mingling] with the 3rd generation members starts with catering?


Q: What impression do you have towards the 3rd generation members who have just joined?

Inoue: (At the time of the interview) I’ve only met them once. Right now, just like the fans, we’re also watching them being announced on Youtube one by one. I’m also still trying to remember their names and faces, but everyone is cute!

Seki: Yeah! They’re all so cute! Unlike us, they're all already refined from the start!

Inoue: We were also wearing our training clothes with our bibs, yet the 3rd gen members can pull it off fashionably! Meanwhile, at first we looked pretty lame in it!

Seki: But apart from that, you can see how the 3rd gen members are still new to many things. When we greeted them, it was so precious seeing how the tears were spreading from one to another. I also cried during that time.


Q: Did Inoue-san also cry?

Inoue: I thought that it wasn’t really a place for me to cry, since I have to greet them properly. But since the one after me is Yumi-can, I heard her sobbing while saying “I’m from Fukuoka…”, and I was like, “You are crying, aren’t you?!” (laughs).


Q: Seki-san, since you have a limited time to do activities together with the 3rd generation members, is there anything you want to talk about with them?

Seki: Well I do want to talk to them, but you see I’m a really shy person. I wonder if I can talk to them. I also don’t want them to think that I’m a boring person. I’d also feel bad if I ended up wasting their time.

Inoue: I get what you mean!


Q: Maybe you’re just overthinking it? (laughs).

Seki: I would like them to approach me and talk, but I will also do my best to approach them first.

Inoue: When we just joined, we were also very happy when the seniors approached and talked to us, whatever it is about, so I also have to do my best to talk to them. Like telling them “Hey, the catering has arrived~” (laughs).

Seki: Or like “Do you prefer meat or fish for the catering?” (laughs).

Inoue: For starters, I would like to start with the talks about food (laughs).


Q: As a graduate of Sakurazaka46, do you have any advice for your juniors, Seki-san?

Seki: Yes. No matter where I go after this, I will be always be known as an “Ex-Sakurazaka46”. So, I want to live my life in a way that won’t bring shame to that title. That was the first thing on my mind after I decided to graduate.


Q: Inoue-san, will you be okay with Seki-san leaving the group?

Inoue: When I heard from her that she will be graduating, I said to her “I have a lot of things I want to do in Sakurazaka46, so I will be doing my best here.” So I want to keep that promise.

Seki: One of Inori’s lovely features is her smile, so I want her to keep smiling. But if I do have a graduation ceremony, I wish that she would cry for me (laughs).

Inoue: I’ve made up my mind to not cry when sending off members.

Seki: But you cried right?

Inoue: Only during Sugai-san’s, okay! (laughs). I will try my best to send Yumi-chan off with a smile.


---

Translation: tenkames

QC: inno

Raw: keishi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1