Matono Mio interview from BUBKA June 2023 edition


Q: So you’ve said when you’re a kid you’re bad at communicating, does it make you spend time by yourself a lot?

It’s not exactly like that, if it were with my friends, I can talk a lot. But if it were with adults, I’m bad at it, as much as possible I don’t want to talk to them.


Q: When you’re a kid, the adults you contact outside out of your family would be your teacher right?

Like during New Year, you have to greet your relatives, right? I was bad with it. I also don’t want to talk with my mom’s friends, if I were to meet them at the supermarket I’d go and hide (laughs). Back then I was scared by the peculiar aura from the adults.


Q: Did you stay like that until middle school?

In middle school I managed to be in good terms with everyone. I don’t think there’s anyone that think of me as the quiet kid.


Q: So in the vlog that was posted right after you entered the group, you said you became more cheerful because you encountered “Silent Majority”.

When you watch the video, it might make you understand it that way, but “Encountering ‘Silent Majority’ then liking Keyakizaka46”, and “Me becoming more cheerful in middle school” is two different things.


Q: Oh, is that so? Please tell us how you became good at drawing illustration!

When I thought that I want a hobby and something I’m good at, during the 3rd semester in my 2nd year of middle school, I became addicted with the illustration app that came with the iPad that was provided by the school, and from there I became good in drawing illustration.


Q: What kind of drawing do you often draw?

If it were in drawing, I can change myself however I like, so I’d try changing my hair into bob, changing my hair color into rainbow color, making my lips really red, basically just having fun with my fantasy (laughs).


Q: Please tell us what made you know about Sakurazaka46 or Keyakizaka46, and what song has an impact on you?

About during 3rd or 4th year of elementary school, I received an impact after watching “Silent Majority” in a music show. Since I used to have this image that idols were supposed to wear a frilly costume, and dance cutely. So I was shocked that there was a group like Keyakizaka46. Because the lyrics of “Silent Majority” struck my heart, I began searching more, and when I realized it, I became fond of Keyakizaka46. In the music show, when Nogizaka46, Hinatazaka46, and Keyakizaka46 were lined up, I think that each of them were really pretty, but to me the figure of Keyakizaka46 wearing black pants really stole my attention.


Q: Please tell us the reason you want to take Sakurazaka46’s audition!

My biggest reason is that because the group I like is opening an audition. Because of Keyakizaka46 and Sakurazaka46, my way of thinking changed, they also cheered me up, because I receive so many influences from them, I also want to be an idol that can cheer someone up even if it’s just one person, and then I participated in the audition.


Q: Also seems like your mom were against it.

Because being an idol isn’t a stable job, my mom is against it.


Q: Say, if you graduated from the group at the age of 22 and then pursue another job, isn’t it the same with a university graduate and then entering a company?

That, and also there’s going to be a year where I have to think about where to go for university, that’s why she’s against it. But I know she’s against it because she’s thinking about it, that’s why I have never rebelled and question why she is against it. Though my mom is against it, it’s not like she’s forcing me to it. Though I passed the audition, during the training period, we didn’t really talk. It seems that she doesn’t like how she’d get sad when she sees my face.


Q: But your mother came to watch “Omotenashikai” right?

After the performance, she told me “It was great”. When she thought that I wouldn’t back down from the group, shortly before the start of my activity as Sakurazaka46, she managed to change her mind and said, “Since you’ve come this far, I’ll support you”.


Q: How did you feel when you stand in front of the fans in “Omotenashikai”?

I can’t think that the fans are real, I saw them just like an illustration. Since I’ve seen the stage from the audience seat, I have never experience seeing the audience seat from the stage, it was a strange spectacle for me. Since Pia Arena MM was really wide, I can see the face of each of the fans, but I still can’t believe that it was real. That’s why on the contrary I didn’t feel nervous.


Q: What song left an impression on you during the live performance part?

It was “BAN” and “Natsu no Chikamichi”. For “BAN”, since it’s a song I have been working hard ever since the training camp, I also think that Buddies are having high expectations on us. I danced until the end with that in mind, and I’ll never forget how we received a long applause. For “Natsu no Chikamichi”, since it was a first original song for us 3rd gens, I also can enjoy the most when performing it, I also feel like it’s the song where Buddies hyped up the most.


Q: What kind of idol do you want to be?

Since idols cheered me up a lot, I also want to be an existence where I can cheer up someone. When Buddies are feeling sad or is in distress, I want them to smile when they see me.


---

Raw: anon
Translation: tenkames
QC: reiscar & tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1