Murai Yu interview from BUBKA June 2023 edition


Q: What were you like as a kid?

I was a lively kid who would often play tag with my friends. I also liked doing girly things like exchanging stickers with friends, crafting my own accessories, and playing dress-up with my dolls.


Q: At what age did you start dancing?

I did ballet for six years during elementary school, but I only started dancing seriously after I entered a dance studio in the third year of middle school, and I also joined the dance club in high school.


Q: Did you think to try other dance genres because you came to like dancing while you were learning ballet?

That’s right. I felt like dancing was fun and I liked performing on a big stage in front of my family and friends.


Q: What were you like in school? 

In middle school I was the leader of the class representative committee, I was the type who would put everything together. But I didn’t take any role like that in high school. I already thought that I don’t suit it during middle school, but I tried my best as I got used to it.


Q: In high school, was it fun to be with your friends from the dance club? 

Yes, it was fun.


Q: How did you come across either Sakurazaka46 or Keyakizaka46, and which songs left an impression on you?

I was in my third year of high school, and we had university entrance exams, but I don’t really like studying (laughs). When I was worrying about which path, I should take next, my mother told me that Sakurazaka46 is holding an audition. That was the first time I’ve known of the group Sakurazaka46. Since I’ve always liked dancing, I thought I’d like being an idol, so I decided to enter the audition. As I prepared for the audition, I researched about the group and came to like their songs in the process. My favorite song is “Masatsukeisuu”.


Q: Do you want to try performing “Masatsukeisuu” someday?

Yes, I would like to.


Q: It seemed like you were worrying about your future path, did you have other things that you would’ve liked to do too? 

I didn't have any dreams for the future. I thought that I’d just enter a university and find a job like everyone else. I didn’t have any specific jobs in mind, but I thought that I’d like to be someone that can help other people.


Q: “If it was Sakurazaka46, then I could make use of my dancing, which I liked to do” Did you have any thoughts like that?

I thought of making use of my dancing too, but aren’t idols someone who is shining brightly? If I can cheer up someone while doing my best performing, I think that I can also become someone who helps other people too by doing that.


Q: Your mother even told you about the audition, so that means your mother is supportive of your activities in Sakurazaka46?

She’s really supportive of it. Because she encouraged me to do the things I want to do, I’ve always been free to do anything. I remember her saying “Yu shines the brightest when you are dancing” after coming to watch my high school dance club’s performance.


Q: How did you feel when standing in front of the fans during the “Omotenashikai”?

I was revealed later than the other members, my introduction video was uploaded just three days before the “Omotenashikai”, so I was worried whether fans would know of me or not, but there were fans who held towels with my name on it, and they shouted my name too, so I was glad that there were people who knew of me. I felt happy.


Q: You were the center for “Nobody’s Fault” during the live performance part of the “Omotenashikai”.

“Nobody’s Fault” was the first song to be performed, so my heart was bursting out of my chest while “Overture” was being played. For the first day, my mind went blank to the point that I don’t remember anything about it now. I think I was able to put more of my feelings into the performance on the second day.


Q: In your speech, you said that you’re not very good at expressing your feelings, but I felt like you conveyed it through your performance.

Before I joined Sakurazaka46, I was only focused on perfecting my dance techniques, never to the extent of thinking about expressing the song. After passing Sakurazaka46’s audition, TAKAHIRO-sensei taught us in the training camp, so I started putting more thoughts about expressing the song, but it wasn’t going well. When it was decided that I would be the center of “Nobody’s Fault” for the “Omotenashikai”, I thought that I can’t stay like this, so I researched the lyrics’ meaning, focused on my facial expressions, and performed it after a some trial-and-error of my own. I hope I was able to convey my feelings.


Q: What kind of idol do you want to be?

I want to be an idol who is able to be close with Buddies and cheer them up.


Q: Do you want to improve your performance?

I’m still not good at immersing myself in the song, so that will be the point of improvement for me. I will do my best so I can get close to (Yamasaki) Ten-sama’s performance, whom I admire. 


-----

Raw: anon
Translation: meg
QC: tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1