Endo Riko interview in ExTaishu July 2023 edition

 


Animals and music.

She loves sweets, and she’s a strong-willed hard worker.

Her individuality surely will be more colorful from now on,

And attract the viewer to keep looking at her.

That story of her has just begun.

The possibilities are endless.


Q: So you said you like sweets, what sweets are you into right now?

Just a while back I was so into baked sweet potato, but I ate too much and I’m now holding back to eating it (laughs).


Q: Murayama Miu-san also loves sweet potatoes, right?

Yes, when both of us went together to get our hair cut, we found a baked sweet potato store nearby and went there together.


Q: 3rd generation members have the image of being close, and different mixes of members can hang together. Who did you go out with recently?

With Taniguchi Airi, and Nakashima Yuzuki, us Team Three Sisters went out together. After we went to catch a glimpse of Tokyo Skytree, we went to Asakusa and ate gelato together. 


Q: Since Taniguchi-san and Nakashima-san are from the rural area, did you give them a guide?

No, though I do go to a Tokyo high school, I’m just the type that follows others… I’m afraid of crowds to begin with, a while back when I went to Shinjuku by myself, my head went dizzy (laughs).


Q: So you said you  learned piano in childhood, in middle school you joined the brass band club and played clarinet, and in high school you joined the light music club and played the drums, right?

Though playing the clarinet and the drums were really fun, I’m really bad at piano (laughs). Even though I learned it for 6 years I didn’t become good at it.


Q: Do you also like listening to music?

Yes. Since I love SEKAI NO OWARI, I have also gone to their concert together with my family.


Q: As you come in touch with music, you became a fan of Sakamichi. In what ways did you support them?

I didn’t have the courage to go to their handshake event and concerts. I watched the Sakamich series through TV and YouTube. I have also thought “If I became an idol, I wonder what kind of idol I will be”, but I have never expressed it or said “I want to be an idol”. It’s all thanks to my mom who encouraged me to take the audition that I’m able to be here right now.


Q: It might be because your feelings were conveyed to your mom.

When my mom asked, “Why don’t you try applying?” I answered “Sure~” lightly without showing much expression, but it really made the feeling of wanting to be an idol in my heart grow much stronger. It was somewhat embarrassing (laughs).


Q: When you passed the audition, and knew you were one of the inexperienced in dancing during the training period, did it ever give you a complex?

I still have a complex with it even until now, especially when I’m practicing, I feel shy being watched by other people.


Q: Then you must’ve felt quite embarrassed with the documentary.

It was hell for me~ (laughs). But, since there are people that came to like me because they watched the documentary, I think that the result is a good thing.


Q: Since you’re inexperienced in dancing, did you think that you have to work harder than the others?

I do think like that, but the ones around me also work really hard, catching up to them takes all my might.


Q: Did you receive any support from your genmates?

Even now I’m still constantly being taught by them. I imagined that for group activities my genmates would get all competitive and all, and I was shocked that everyone is really nice. Especially Shii-chan (Yamashita Shizuki) and Yu-chan (Murai Yu), who are good at dancing, would practice until it’s late. I joined them and was taught by them.


Q: Do you like to sing?

Until middle school I had never even sang in front of my family. But when I became a high schooler, I started to go to karaoke with my friends, and came to like singing. Nagi-chan (Kojima Nagisa) praised my singing voice.


Q: So I’ve watched “Soko Magattara, Sakurazaka?” athletic check episode, unexpectedly you have a good athletic skill.

My friends have also told me that I look like I have bad athletic skills, but I do love moving my body around. I also placed in the top ranks for endurance running in elementary school. Though my peak was in 1st grade of middle school (laughs).


Q: And you’re also competitive.

I was more competitive back then. I won’t allow it if there’s something that my older brother can do that I can not (laughs). But I suppress my real self in school, I do not show my competitive side.


Q: But you can show it in front of your genmates right?

Yes (laughs). I’m actually a perfectionist, but I showed my weak sides first, and so I can be myself as it is in front of my genmates. They are comfortable to be with and make my activities fun.


Q: How did you feel about participating in the 3rd TOUR 2023?

For Omotenashikai, I think the people that came are the people that have interest in the 3rd generation. But for the tour, I was worried there will be people that still don't recognize the 3rd generation. Even more, we performed “Dead end” in a concert where the seniors were there. But when the concert started, I heard the warm cheers from Buddies, and managed to perform without any worry.


Q: How was “Dead end”?

At first when we’re still practicing the choreography, I felt hopeless and ended up crying. But thanks to (Mukai) Itoha, I managed to remember the choreography. No matter how many times I asked her to teach me, she would always teach me without showing a frown.


Q: I think you managed to see the performance of your seniors up close.

I think it’s really amazing how they are able to dance that amount of songs for 2 days back to back. I have nothing but respect for their high level performance. And after getting through the tour, I can feel the distance with the seniors shortening. Before the tour, I exchanged LINE contact with Koike Minami-san, and since she kindly said to me “If there’s ever anything, you can contact me anytime okay”, I managed to approach her from my side.


Q: Lastly, what do you think your strength is?

That I can maintain my peace of mind even when I’m going through hardships. Since I’m confident in my strong will, no matter what happens I will do my best without breaking.

---

Raw: sunsetrider
Translation: rai
QC: tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1