"I think I broke out of my shell a little because my genmates supported me" - Taniguchi Airi feature in anan no.2351 (11 June 2023)

 


Unfazed by the camera shooting her from a close distance, Taniguchi Airi-san stared back at the camera with her big eyes.


“I don’t really get nervous, I always have a stable and positive mindset (laughs). And yet, I also hate to lose. For the sports festival at school, I took the initiative to practice in the morning… I’m the type that would get fired up about anything.”


A huge part of her guts and unbreakable spirit were nurtured at Actors School Hiroshima, which she attended from the age of five.


“When in doubt, I would go ask for help myself, and I value my self-practice time… At the school, I was taught to take initiatives. I was thinking of other paths for my future but I wanted to be an idol after all so I took Sakurazaka46’s audition.”


She has admired Sakurazaka46 for a long time as a group with “great expressive energy”.


“Amidst the intense music, you can see their sadness, their dignified look. Their strength from the Keyakizaka46 era has a strong impression, but when they became Sakurazaka46, their musical genres have expanded even further… When I heard “Natsu no Chikamichi” for the first time, I was surprised because it was brighter than anything the group ever did. Then, I got excited wondering what the choreography and formation would be like… With this song, we might be able to open up something new for Sakurazaka46.”


Through the song, the sense of unity that is unique to Sakurazaka46’s performances has been passed down to the third-generation members.


“What kind of person is the protagonist, and what is their state of mind? We all discussed it together and agreed on the worldview… When we heard that the seniors have always done that too, I realized that’s why Sakurazaka46’s performances are great. On the other hand, I’ve always had a complex about the stiffness of my facial expressions so I was worried if I could express the song well, but I think I broke out of my shell a little because my genmates supported me.”


Her goal for the future is to become someone who can shine no matter where her position is.


“I want to be an eye-catching presence no matter where I am on stage. I’m small, just 151 cm tall, but I like intense songs… Dancing to “BAN” is especially fun!”


And finally… Can you introduce your beloved genmates?


“Sure, here I go! First, Ishimori Rika is like an older sister for everyone, and Endo Riko is cute like a baby! Odakura Reina is princess-like and she sometimes thinks up puns that are so funny to me, Kojima Nagisa is the epitome of cheerfulness! Nakashima Yuzuki has a gap where looks mature but on the inside she’s chill and easygoing. Matono Mio is a Sakurazaka otaku and has the point of view of a fan. Mukai Itoha is a really pure and kind girl. Murai Yu looks dignified but surprisingly she’s actually an airhead, Murayama Miu is a stoic girl who cares a lot about the members. Yamashita Shizuki is 80% tsun and 20% dere (laughs). We’d like to deliver you performances that are cool and bursting with a fresh youthful feeling like lemonade!”


An exceptionally vivid and dazzling summer is coming to Sakurazaka46.


---

Translation: meg
QC: tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1