Living without greed (Morita Hikaru interview from BUBKA December 2023)


With the 7th single, "Shonin Yokkyu," the third-generation members have joined, and the group introduced a senbatsu system. Sakurazaka46 continues to change as a group, but Morita Hikaru's passion and ambition for her works have not changed. It has been two and a half years since being the group's title song center in the 2nd single. She is as dainty as she was then, and more dynamic than anyone. She has no blind spot.


No Greed


Morita-san is the center of the 7th single title song, "Shonin Yokkyu." How did you feel when you heard your name called as the center during the senbatsu announcement?


Morita: I became aware that “the group would be changing” from this time, as they announced that it would be a “senbatsu announcement” instead of a “formation announcement.” However, I think that “I am Sakurazaka46 in any position that I am in," so I always try to do my best no matter where I am. Even though I have a sense of responsibility because I am the center, my base is that “I want to be myself” no matter what position I am in.


Since the viewer can imagine many things, I felt that previous works are connected to Morita-san as the center, such as the scene in "Sakurazuki" MV two singles ago where you are handed something by the center, Moriya-san, and the character with the distinctive glasses in the previous "Start over!" MV.


Morita: I am very happy when people enjoy our work each in their own way. There are some things that have “no right answer,” so when I hear their impressions, I sometimes admire them for thinking in that way.


Did you have the intent of showing the latest Sakurazaka46?


Morita: There were a lot of visual changes in "Shonin Yokkyu," and we created it with a fresh mindset. The four third-generation members are dependable so it seems like it can become a single that makes us look forward to the future. 


Before shooting the music video for "Shonin Yokkyu," I believe you read the proposal by director Kato Hidejin. I heard that Takemoto-san also read the proposal and was impressed.


Morita: I thought it pokes at human psychology. Because the theme is "desire for approval," a feeling that I think everyone has had at least once, it can be replaced in various situations. The director mentioned that the "desire for approval" creates a persona different from oneself and causes one to run amok. As members of Sakurazaka46, we create various versions of ourselves, such as "myself performing on stage" or "myself reacting on a variety show.” When you are being watched by so many people, there is a gap between "the person who I see myself as" and "the person who the fans imagine me to be” and there are times when I lose sight of myself. Without being too conscious of this "person who is not me,"  I asked myself, as the lyrics go, "You are just you, aren't you?". I wanted to value accepting myself.


When we interviewed Morita-san four years ago, you mentioned that before joining the group, you had been trying to be "normal" by acting inconspicuously. You also said that you had hoped to work as a public servant in the future.


Morita: That brings back memories. (laughs)


Was it a life where you didn’t need approval?


Morita: Sometimes I get asked by fans, "Do you need approval too, Hikaru-chan?” (laughs). They seem to think that I have no desire for approval but in reality, I am a human being, so I sometimes feel the need for approval. Maybe it is because I am the type of person who looks at things objectively, and I don't want to be greedy.


When you work as an idol, you may sometimes be seen by people who have thoughts such as "the nail that sticks out that needs to get hammered down" or "let’s find her faults."


Morita: Do you mean slander?


If you put it bluntly. (laughs)


Morita: I guess that's true (laughs). Nobody has ever said it directly to me before, and I don't go looking for it myself, so I can't really say, but I think everyone has their own values, their likes, and dislikes, so if it is an "opinion," I will try to accept it. However, I dislike using words that make fun of someone's appearance or are not helpful to others.


Morita-san thinks philosophically, doesn’t she?


Morita: As I have been doing my work, I realized that there is a “part of me that looks at myself objectively.”


Right now, at this moment


I want to ask you about the music video of  "Shonin Yokkyu." First of all, the white costumes are impressive.


Morita: In this music video, the cloth is likened to the "desire for approval," and the cloth stretching out symbolizes "the desire for approval building up, causing you to come out as someone you are not.” That’s why it is a layered white skirt. Since the unison dance is done at a high speed, we also wear pants so our footwork can be seen. The costume is a fusion of layered skirts and pants.


I heard the members say that this single’s dance is the hardest one yet.


Morita: The dance is so fast that there are about two choreographies done in one count. Usually, the count is "1, 2, 3,..." but it is so fast that you have to count "1 AND 2 AND 3 AND...". Even though I understood it in my head, I couldn't keep up with the music. I had to stop and practice one second of it at a time.


Is that how you practiced from the beginning?


Morita: No. First, everyone practices the choreography together. After that, we practiced individually, and by the time we shot the music video, we had it down.


Does the scene at the beginning of the music video where you step on and crush your glasses have a meaning of "freeing yourself"?


Morita: ......It has various meanings. I want everyone to enjoy imagining them. I received various insights from fans through letters on the messaging app, and I found them all interesting and informative.


And the part where Morita-san collapses at the end of the first chorus…?


Morita: It's a scene where they can no longer handle the desire for approval that has built up without them noticing.


They open the door, get passed, and start running again.


Morita: The picture gallery represents a certain space, and we go back and forth between this space, but I would be happy if you could pay attention to various parts of it.


I see. I thought the sideways-moving camera work was interesting, but I guess it also has meaning. What did you think of the scene where you were wrapped in cloth and floating?


Morita: Hmm… it was the first thing in the morning on the second day of shooting, and I felt like I had a lot of fun being held by the wire (laughs). I just wanted to keep spinning.


(laughs). From your indescribable expression at the end of the video, you can interpret in many ways.


Morita: It was not a shot that I was told would be used at the end, but it's a shot that even I don't know when it was taken. It was used as a thumbnail, so I think the director thought it was "good" and used it.


There is a scene where you jump but you were not told to keep 'Nobody's fault' in mind......


Morita: It has nothing to do with "Nobody's fault". I felt uneasy when they told me, "I want you to jump here." Even after checking the video, I knew that some people would take it that way. When I think of my jumps, I have the image of "Nobody's fault" in mind. When I told TAKAHIRO-sensei about it, he said, "I like that Morita is trying to change things up," so I hope that even one person will see it differently.


The coupling song this time contains unique songs.


Morita: Many of the songs are addictive. The titles of "Kakushin Kurowasan" and "Manhole no Futa no Ue" are intriguing, aren't they? But once you listen to them, your impression of them completely changes. I’m also part of the unit song "Bokutachi no La vie en rose.” It is a cheerful song that makes you smile as you walk around and hold hands with someone.


What is your impression of Kojima Nagisa-san, who is the center of the third-generation member song "Mamoribito"?


Morita: When I saw "Seijaku no Boryoku" from the previous single Konnagi-chan caught my attention. I felt that she was particular about the way she presented herself. When I heard that she would be the center for "Mamoribito," I was looking forward to it. Then when I saw the MV I thought, "the real Konnagi-chan is driven by emotions.”


Going back to the first topic, did you feel any difference in the senbatsu system from the Sakura Eight system?


Morita: In the last single, there was no "Sakura Eight" system, but all first-generation and second-generation members participated in the title song. In addition, during the early days, the Sakura Eight members participated in all common coupling songs, but gradually the number of unit songs and all member songs increased, and since the change was gradual, it did not feel that strange.


Did you have a hunch that third-generation members would be selected?


Morita: I thought that we would be working together more soon.


That’s just how many girls have high potential.


Morita: Yes. They all have a high level of ambition, and you can see them improving fast. I feel that they became more aware of themselves as they performed the third generation’s songs. It is entirely different from our early days (laughs), and everyone is well put together.


The four third-generation members who are part of the senbatsu (Taniguchi Airi, Nakajima Yuzuki, Murai Yu, and Yamashita Shizuki) seem to be very confident, but at the same time, I think they may have some anxieties. Do you feel like you want to support them?


Morita: I think that when people experience things for the first time continuously, they get shaken and wonder what to do, but some of the third-generation members say that they are having fun, which I find encouraging. However, I think there is also a sense of anxiety inside, as it was the same for me. I hope I can support them when I get a glimpse of those anxieties.


Taniguchi-san was grateful, saying, "I frequently ask questions when I have something on my mind, but Morita-san gives me detailed answers to all of them.”


Morita: That's right (laughs). Airi is cute and fresh, but she is also gutsy to the point of making me wonder "How many years has she been working here?” I'm sorry if she doesn't think the same, but sometimes I feel that “she is a lot like me.” She talks to me a lot, so I hope we can deepen our friendship during this single.


What kind of girl is Yamashita-san, the other front member?


Morita: She loves ramen (laughs).


The topic has suddenly changed, hasn't it (laughs).


Morita: She talks about ramen all the time (laughs). No matter what I ask her, we always go back to talking about ramen.


(laughs)


Morita: Normally, she is soft and girly, or maybe even cat-like. But when she dances, she’s very cool. I feel an aura that only Tsuki-chan can bring out. Even when I am watching a song by third-generation members, I sometimes find myself gawking at Tsuki-chan. In "Shonin Yokkyu," she dances with great attention to detail because she is an experienced dancer.


You created the single while interacting with third-generation members.


Morita: Yes. We worked on it with a warm atmosphere, while pampering them and calling them cute.

 

While the third-generation members have joined the senbatsu, Habu Mizuho-san will graduate with this single.


Morita: Whether it be in the dressing room or at work, Habu-san makes those around her smile with a single word. She is like the sun. During live performances, I follow her classy performance with my eyes. I’m sad that Habu-san is graduating, but I hope I can express my gratitude to her in the remaining time. She has been active for more than 8 years as a first-generation member and will leave us with so much, so we'd like to continue it on.


She will graduate on the first day of the "3rd YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE" on November 25, do you think you can send her off with a smile?.


Morita: I would like to (laughs), but I just can't help feeling sad during graduation ceremonies. When our eyes meet, I can't help but burst into tears. We are also celebrating the “ANNIVERSARY LIVE,” so I think that she would be happy if I could send her off with a smile.


The "3rd YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE" will be a big concert after the release of the 6th and 7th singles, so I have high expectations for the latest Sakurazaka46.


Morita: I can’t say anything specific right now because we haven’t started anything yet, but because there are many Buddies who will come and gather to watch our first stadium concert, I want to express my feeling of gratitude through our performance. I want to make it a concert that each and every person in the audience will enjoy. It’s a big stage so I hope we can finish the show without any injuries. 


I am sure you will be going back and forth along the walkway.


Morita: I guess we will need to dash (laughs). I want to make it a concert that has a sense of unity.


One of your goals has been to transmit your music to the world, and you performed live in France and Malaysia in the summer.


Morita: The members and I wondered how many people would show up, but in France, there was so many people coming that the start of the show got pushed back. Performing on stage, we received completely different reactions than the ones we get in Japan, so we were able to perform with a fresh feeling. Through the overseas performances, I realized that there are so many people who support us outside of Japan.


Would you like to perform overseas again?


Morita: Yes, I would. I would like to go to places where all the Buddies are, whether it be in Japan or around the world.


In the Sakurazaka46 exhibition "Shinsekai," you wrote, "I am not thinking about what I want to do as an individual right now.” Do you not think about your dreams for the future and such?


Morita: It's not so much that “I don't think about it," but rather that "the present is important.” There are times when I think about the future, and there are times when I have regrets, but I think the most important thing is "right now, this moment.” I want to do what I can do now carefully, without being greedy. As long as I am in the group, I am happy to walk with everyone.


---

Raw & translation: sunsetrider

QC: keishi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1