Morita Hikaru in B.L.T. July 2024 edition


I've been asking everyone this question, but for you, Morita-san, has the time since the last Tokyo Dome concert until now felt long or short?


“I can’t believe that only a year and a half have passed, it feels like much longer. Especially last year, it felt like time was passing faster than ever in my life. I even wondered if other members felt the same way (laughs), but I was determined to approach each thing carefully.”


You have been busy with combining your regular activities and the production of live performances, leading to hectic days. Amidst all this, have you noticed any changes in the group over the past year and a half?


"I feel that the relationships among the members definitely changed with the third-generation members joining us. Many first-generation members graduated during this period, and the second-generation members have also changed a bit now that they've become seniors. Although it was always very lively before, it feels even more cheerful now."


Indeed, over the past year and a half, the second-generation members have become the core of the group in terms of people, and the atmosphere has changed significantly with the addition of 11 third-generation members. In terms of performance, it feels like the overall strength of the group has been elevated since around the 3rd tour.


"The 3rd tour... I can't quite remember right now, but what was the first song?"


It started with ‘Cool’.


“It was ‘Cool’, ‘Hanshin Hangi’, ‘Masatsukeisuu, right?’”


That's right, that's right. It was also the tour where you promoted 'Sakurazuki.' At that time, Sugai-san graduated, and it was a moment when the group was taking a new form. I felt it was a song that really fit Sakurazaka.


“There were also previous title tracks like 'Samidare yo' with a gentle tempo and not so intense dance performances, but during that period, we were conscious of improving not only our dancing but also our singing. Regarding 'Sakurazuki,' I thought it was a song that highlighted our expressions and emotions. It was fitting for the group to release it during the cherry blossom season, and I was happy that 'sakura' was in the title. During the 'Sakurazuki' period, having such a song as the title track made me feel like our range could expand even further.”


When you appeared in the April issue of B.L.T. released this February, it was right after Kobayashi Yui's graduation concert, so you shared your realistic impressions of the live performance. How does it feel for you not to have Kobayashi-san in the 4th tour?


"During the shows, I'm fully focused on the performance, so I don't really think about it, but during the rehearsal period, I thought about Yui-san a lot. I couldn't quite grasp that Yui-san wasn't there anymore, and it felt like she was just taking a break from rehearsals (laughs)."


Like wondering when she’ll show up?


“Yes, wondering when she’ll come (laughs). There were definitely times when I felt lonely.”


It’s exactly like a “Kobayashi Yui loss,” right?


"I do feel a sense of loss (laughs). Well, maybe not to that extent, but I can't forget her. It's not just during performances, but when I think about the group or the members on a daily basis, I end up thinking about her too."


Surely, especially during certain songs, there are scenes where the focus used to be on Kobayashi-san, so you can feel that her absence is noticeable.


"Definitely. There were moments during performances where I would interact with Yui-san or our eyes would meet, so there were quite a few times when I thought, 'Ah, she's not here!' It was lonely at those times, but I also felt like it was a turning point or a point where I could grow personally. It's because what she left behind is significant—"


I had the opportunity to watch the Kanagawa performance this time, starting from the 3rd Tour, then the '3rd YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE,' and through Kobayashi-san's graduation concert. What left the biggest impression on me was seeing all the members standing on stage with overflowing confidence. Morita-san, what kind of atmosphere did you pick up on?


"For me personally, it always felt like the first performance. The first performance brings a freshness that you can always feel, and as you go through several performances, I think you start to get used to it in both good and bad ways. But this time, that was not the case at all. Buddies always give fresh reactions every time, and there was an audience in all 360 degrees of the venue that they even surrounded us backstage. That felt new too. Personally, I think everyone's determination to challenge themselves with vigor each time became the factor that made each performance feel like a different live event."


Morita-san, have you personally felt any moments over the past year and a half where you thought Sakurazaka's performance had elevated, whether in an instant or through a process, or any moments that felt like a catalyst?


Honestly, even if you ask me that, I really don't know, and I can't quite say……


Talking about feelings of achievement or satisfaction might sound simple, but a moment you felt a sense of fulfillment after stepping off the stage……


"If I were to say, it was during the '3rd YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE' at ZOZO Marine Stadium. It was amazing, like living a dream, an unprecedented feeling. I still remember it vividly. After the show ended, everyone was saying 'it was fun' backstage. Personally, it was a moment where I felt once again how enjoyable live performances can be."


Based on these experiences, what do you hope to show in your second performance as Sakurazaka at the Tokyo Dome?


"To put it simply, with different members and an expanded song collection, I think this show will be completely different from that time. Above all, it makes me happy too to see how thrilled the third-generation members are to stand on the stage of Tokyo Dome. I'm looking forward to standing there with them, and regardless of the place being in Tokyo Dome, I approach every live performance thinking it might be the last, so I hope to perform with that mindset even at Tokyo Dome. I want to deliver a live show that showcases the maximum potential of Sakurazaka, not just in performance, but in every aspect."


Looking beyond Tokyo Dome, what is your vision for Sakurazaka?


"Personally, I'm someone who tends to focus a lot on the present, so I don't have many specific goals or plans. I guess I hope things turn out well in a positive way, but I haven't really thought much about myself. I just hope that the dreams of the group come true."


 ----


Raw: kiryu

Translation; sunsetrider

QC: tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

A Dreaming Girl (Tamura Hono interview with B.L.T graph vol 101 May 2024 edition)