Moriya Rena in B.L.T. July 2024 edition

 


Q As Sakurazaka46’s second Tokyo Dome approaches, shall we look back at the last 1.5 years it’s been since the last Tokyo Dome?


Rena: So many things have truly happened, like how we performed overseas for the first time, and how I was selected to be the center of the 5th single title song “Sakurazuki”. Thanks to all the support the Buddies have given to us, as a team we can head toward the same direction together, and we were able to experience so many things that it is unthinkable it all happened within 1,5 years.


Q It’s probably like that because the group released 4 singles in the past year, from “Sakurazuki” to “Ikutsu no Koro ni Modoritai no ka?”. All in all, that’s a single every three months, not to mention the concerts in between.


Rena: It was certainly one production after another. I’m truly grateful that we are able to stay busy in such a blessed environment.


Q I think that being entrusted with being the center of “Sakurazuki” must have been a very important event for you in these 1.5 years, but what are your thoughts on it, Moriya-san?


Rena: It was. At the time, I had a lot of different feelings about it.


Q Does that include negative feelings?


Rena: At first I had a few negative thoughts like, “Is it really okay for me to be the center?”, or rather I was just worried about the whole thing; But as I performed “Sakurazuki” more and more, I was able to hear a lot of thoughts from everyone, and I think I became more confident.


Q It’s also been about 1.5 years since the graduation of former captain Sugai Yuuka-san. That concert was treated as the finale for the 2nd Tour that promoted the 1st Album “As you know?”, so with the release of “Sakurazuki” after that, it feels like the start of Sakurazaka’s second chapter.


Rena: Through experiencing so many different positions, depending on the song, there are times when the other members feel that they have to support the center. But no matter which position we are in, our desire to deliver the songs doesn’t change, and I feel that that desire has only become stronger.


Q Looking back, what do you think was the moment that changed things the most, both as an individual and as a group?


Rena: Personally, the most obvious moment was seeing things like being passed over for Kouhaku Uta Gassen, or having empty seats in our tours and concerts, which I think made me more determined. I think each person has their own ways of confronting things like that, which can become a trigger for change. I think that we turned our feelings of frustration into motivation, and changed our attitudes.


Q When you previously appeared in “blt graph vol. 94”, you said that the frustrating experiences you had as a trainee still motivate you, and when I listen to what you said just now, considering your character on TV and elsewhere– and I know it’s rude for me to say this, but it’s surprising that you’re the type of person who faces challenges head on.


Rena: Eh~ Is that so? But when I watch TV shows I’ve appeared in, I’m often thinking things like, “I should’ve done things a bit more like this. I’ll keep that in mind for the future”. I wonder what kind of person does that?


Q I think that there is a way of thinking where you turn a blind eye to what you can’t do and focus on your strengths, but in Moriya-san’s case, you’re the type that works hard to overcome your weaknesses, right?


Rena: I’ve never thought about it before, but I guess so.


Q Whenever I talk with Moriya-san, I can’t help but talk about “Sakurazuki”, and the special production for “Sakurazuki”s performance in Kobayashi Yui-san’s graduation concert was amazing.


Rena: I truly love that production as well. It seemed that Yui-san put a lot of thought into it. I’ve imagined Yui-san as the protagonist of the song’s story before, and overall it was just a wonderful performance.


Q And as you go through the 4th Tour, do you feel inspired by that production and performance?


Rena: I think Yui-san is a one of a kind person who can come up with productions like that. She attracted a lot of attention during the performance, so I’ll have to work hard to make sure her absence isn’t felt too much.


Q As you said, I think that when you watch a concert, she sets the standard for the performance on stage. When I watch Kobayashi-san, I can understand the intention of the direction and choreography, and the message of the performance is conveyed well. However, when I watched a concert without Kobayashi-san, I felt it wasn’t only a negative thing, but also an opportunity for new possibilities.


Rena: While of course each concert is fun, I personally feel that we always continue to challenge something new, and I very much enjoy it. I feel that everything that we have been accumulating until now is bearing fruit. Just like how it has always been in the past, this time too, starting from the rehearsal, we, including the dancers, have always tried to make each other improve, and to match up what we can match up. Each person was free to do whatever they wanted, and if we found something good, we tried to polish it to a great degree, and I think that level of awareness is becoming stronger.


Q I can see that you are becoming more confident than ever when it comes to your approach to concerts. Please tell us your thoughts about the first Tokyo Dome performance and your enthusiasm for the second one.


Rena: The first time we stood in Tokyo Dome, of course it was amazing and I was no doubt happy about it, but we were only able to stand on that stage because Yuuka-san is graduating. Of course I feel grateful to Yuuka-san, but I wanted us to be able to stand in Tokyo Dome on our own strength, even if there isn’t a special occasion. Back then, I gave it the best I could, but I was still swallowed up by my nervousness at the dome, so I will do my best to make up for that!


Q It seems that you’ll be going into this with a completely different mindset than the first time. Well then, please tell us about your vision beyond Tokyo Dome.


Rena: As a group, Tokyo Dome is just one milestone. There are so many Buddies overseas, and while of course I’d be happy to appear in overseas events again, I’d also like us to hold a solo concert of our own. Personally, I’m still taking on a lot of new challenges right now, and I will continue to try my best at anything in the future, whether it be acting or variety shows, regardless of the genre.


----


Raw: kiryu

Translation: tmi

QC: meg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

A Dreaming Girl (Tamura Hono interview with B.L.T graph vol 101 May 2024 edition)