Hirate Yurina's Interview in Numero March 2020


The Hirate Yurina who makes an appearance in the studio with a school uniform image.  While being a national talent, she is an active high school student. With innocence and shyly expressing “Please take care of me”, the staff is left with an impressive greeting.

----

Today you came into the studio wearing a school uniform right?

Since I am in my 3rd year of high school, I have to do my best in studying. Lately, everyday I have been wearing my uniform. I hate studying but you can only be a 3rd year in high school once in your life. If I study properly now, I think I am able to pass the examination when I want to take it. I was thinking there are various alternatives and choices in life. Even between work, I will try to find the time to study.

Only Hirate who has an overwhelming presence on the stage, when watching you doing your activities, I forget about it.  I was surprised to see an 18 year old female highschool student in her uniform.

Yes, I am a highschool student (laughs).

You have been selected as the center of Keyakizaka46 at the age of 14. Since the debut single, you continue to stand at the center for 9 singles. But before jumping into this entertainment world, you did not think of wanting to become an idol?

How should I put it, to start, as a child I particularly didn't have a dream or a goal. In school, they make you write compositions. At that time, the person next to me would seriously write theirs. I haven’t thought about things regarding the future. Time just passed. I went to the next grade, and before I knew it, I became a middle school student. That’s how it went.

I heard that the audition was triggered by family members. Because you had no goals or dreams, was that why it was recommended? 

That might be the case. I never expected to be accepted.

And yet, you are. Moreover, being the youngest and standing at center right at the front. Do you remember that time?

I don’t really remember that time. Maybe, it was because of the pressure and the anxious thoughts of “Why does it have to be me?”.... But, even now that hasn’t changed. Rather, I feel like it has gotten bigger. The hurdles go up every time you perform, create, when you release something. I am thankful for that but I feel like I have to live up to the expectations.

As a girl who hasn’t yet embraced her dreams, you jumped into the entertainment world, so what kinds of things did you think and feel walking into this? I wanted to hear such a story today. But Hirate often says “I don’t remember”.

Yes, I don’t really remember.

Since that’s the case, I read back to past interview articles and examined Hirate at that time. For about 4 and a half years since debut, I noticed that you have consistently made some remarks. What do you think they are?

Eh, that I hate studying?

Hahaha! You also continued saying that (laughs)

After that… how I get bored easily? Ehh, what is it?? I don’t remember at all.

It is the phrase “There is nothing but the present”. As before, “Being a 3rd year highschool student is only now” was a saying, but also as being 15 years old, 16 years old, and 17 years old. “These ages only happen once, the things I am able to do now, I want to properly experience it”, so you continued to say.

True, this has never changed.

There is also a saying “What is in front of you happened for once I am always challenging with the thought ‘It’s okay if this becomes the last’.”. Hirate is not looking at the past or the future, but you are constantly continuing to look at “the present” right?

That is my personal way of thinking but…. even if we think about the future, things will not always go the way you wanted it to be. Isn’t it better to work hard at what is in front of you right now?, so I thought. Instead of rushing into the future, I feel that it’s better to face forward as you treasure each passing day.

By the way, sometime ago I heard this story from your manager that while people usually want to know what they have this week, what they have this month, they want to know about their work schedule in advance, but you told your manager you only want to know a day before. 

That's right. They frequently told me of my schedule, I was told “ Don’t you feel more relieved this way?” but... in my case it’s the opposite. If a tightly packed work schedule is sent to me, I would think “I don’t want to look!”. When I know about it beforehand, I will think “I will be anxious on that day”, “I will be worried on this day”, “So I have a project like this, I hate this”. So that’s why I think it’s better if I knew about it a day before (laughs).

It doesn’t matter how big or small the job is? It’s still better if you didn’t know about it?

Yes, I haven’t thought about the size of the job, never. Before a big job, it may be normal to think that you have to try your best. I am constant in any job, and the same in any job I challenge. Every time without changing, I am anxious. Everyday being nervous.

I have only seen the Hirate from the stage that is always impressive, the key word “nervous” is something surprising. 

That is what is thought of me…. but even now standing before the stage I nervously shake. I have been looking for a way to overcome this tension, but there isn’t anything. No matter what I do, I can’t make the nervousness disappear. Not to mention, even before arriving at today's studio, I was nervous since this morning.

Eh, you didn’t look like you were!!

There are a lot of new people to meet, what kind of clothes I am going to wear, and then also thinking about how I should show it…. before starting I am always anxious. But, when the time comes, I don’t know. So I leave it to myself to stand in front of the camera and the atmosphere of the scene at that time. It’s always that kind of feeling.

Because of your anxious thinking, you thought  “I don’t want to know what’s ahead”

Right. After all, at that time I’ll have only myself to rely on. When that’s the case, I’d like to only think about tomorrow.

So with that, what’s the furthest ahead in the future you’ve thought about lately?

Today, after this, I’ll be going to the company, and then I will talk to the staff a little, then wondering if I should go home.. That kind of future.

Hahahah (laughs). Somehow I can already see the answer, since there’s only the Hirate that stays looking at “the present,” but is it alright if you hear me out? Have you discovered any dream or goal that you’ve held onto for a long time?

There isn’t. Even now, I still don’t have a dream or goal.

So then, I’m curious, why do you continue this work? What is Hirate’s motivation for continuing to stand on stage?

Without limiting it to just the stage, with music, “How can I deliver this song?”, “How can I express these lyrics so that they reach people more?”, things like that are all I think about. Yeah, there is nothing else other than that.

Is the result, whether or not it reaches people, something you worry about?

It worries me a lot. To the point that I wish I could ask the staff to call out to each person that comes to see our lives to hear their impressions. That’s a wish that I have true feeling for. That would be a lot of work for the staff, and I’d like for the audience to freely return home with what they got out of the performance, so naturally I’d feel guilty. So every time, I ask the staff that watched from guest seating their impressions and opinions. Same for television.

Do you think about how you yourself are seen, and what the world thinks of you as well?

I wonder about that, since each person has their own way of perceiving things. Things like “This girl is always facing downwards.” or “She doesn’t laugh.” I think there’s probably a lot of things that are said. Even if you say you don’t care… you end up caring. I think I have the type of personality that worries. Of course, I’m not looking up things about me online, but like I look at my phone and my name will pop up immediately. I don’t read it in detail, but somehow I’ll understand what it’s about.

Jumping into the entertainment world at 14 years old, you’ve continued to accumulate people’s interest. Has there been any place you’ve been able to pass time as an “ordinary girl?”

When I’m eating with some staff that I trust, something like that… There’s been one change these last 4 and a half years. That is, I’ve been able to meet people that I trust. There’s been a few people that I’ve worked with together for a long time who appear to be people I can trust.

Not a lot of people, huh? (laughs)

Yeah, just a few (laughs). When I’m eating with those people, it often becomes a conversation about Keyakizaka and Hirate Yurina, but there’s also been totally lighthearted conversations as well. Lots of laughter and joking around. That’s where I can be a normal girl, where I can be relaxed without straining myself.

Have you been spending time having fun with those people you trust lately?

No, my manager was getting married. It was the first time in my life attending a wedding ceremony. When I went to buy a dress for the reception, it was completely the first time experiencing that too. There’s also a lot I feel just for the people that have been taking care of me all this time…

Seeing the bride, as a woman, did you imagine your own future?

Hehe, I more or less thought about it. Like “In time the day will come when I’ll be putting together my own wedding ceremony like this, huh?” (laughs)

What kind of adult will you go on to be in your 20s or 30s?

It’s still unknown. That’s what I’ve been told by people around me as well. “It’s unknown and undetermined, so many possibilities are imaginable. You could get married and become a normal mother, you could continue working in the entertainment world, or you could suddenly say ‘Tomorrow, I’m retiring.’ None of that would seem strange.” I myself have thought that way as well.

This year, you’ll be having your 19th birthday. When you blow out the candles, what kind of wish will you make?

Eh? A wish when I blow out the candles? This is the first time I’ve heard of that. It should be something from the heart, right? Well, when I think of that… I wouldn’t be able to blow them out, wouldn’t be able to breathe, I’d end up holding it back. I’d think too much, and just end up going “uhh.” (laughs)

Then talk about the present, not the future (laughs). Right now, what stage in your life do you feel you’re in?

I’m thinking I’m at a point where there’s a lot I should know, a lot I should learn. Like what you just said about the candles. I’m honestly naive and ignorant of much of the world.

Is that because you entered into the entertainment world so early?

No, there’s no such thing. It’s more like the opposite. Before I started working in entertainment, I was a girl who barely understood things like emotions. Like being glad, feeling like “I’m happy” … “Enjoyment” too, I only truly learned recently. I’ve never had the thought “It’d be nice if times like this could continue for a long time.” Truthfully, it feels like my life started after I entered Keyakizaka. I became aware of what I’m capable of and how to express my enjoyment for the first time by entering the entertainment world. In the many meetings I’ve had with people, I also encountered many emotions. It’s truly been full of things I experienced for the first time. For this reason, there’s many more things I want to know and learn. I feel that those thoughts are becoming powerful now.

Do you think that, although at first there were thoughts of anxiety  and confusion, the result is that it was good that you encountered Keyakizaka46?

Ah, it’s difficult. I can’t express myself well with words… Yeah, I’m grateful, very much so.

Alright then, this is the last question. What would you do, if tomorrow there was no Keyakizaka46?

Uhh, that time will happen at that time. Right now, even if I thought about it, I wouldn’t know. If things become like that, then at that time, I’ll think about it again (lol).

--

Translation & QC by emi, fuyupz, toomuchidea
Raw @ weibo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

Habu Mizuho and the members' message to each other ["Destination" photobook] Pt 1