Endo Hikari in B.L.T. July 2024 edition

 


Q: From Endo-san’s perspective, what has the year and a half since the last Tokyo Dome concert been like?


When I wasn’t with the others, each and every day felt so long, and it felt like “a lone battle”. I was in a hiatus for around one year, and that period of time was an important time for Sakurazaka, so I felt even more disconnected from the group and I hadn’t been in touch with the other members too. I started thinking that maybe our hearts have grown apart as well. However, I started my hiatus with the intention to come back, so during that time I also thought hard about what kind of position I should assume, so to say, or what kind of presence I should be within the group. But, right after I went into hiatus, the “Start over!” (Sakurazaka’s 6th single title track with all of the 1st & 2nd generation members participating) promotional period started, and I also felt somewhat guilty about why I couldn’t push through just a little bit harder.


Q: After overcoming those conflicts, you were able to participate fully in the 4th tour and now the Tokyo Dome concert.


This time, I can finally genuinely participate in the Tokyo Dome concert as a member of Sakurazaka, so I’m filled with so much joy. I returned from my first hiatus at the last Tokyo Dome concert, and I stood on stage during the encore, but it was also a moment when I felt frustrated with myself for being so anxious and weak… That’s why, I personally hope that this time I can stand on stage with pride and give a performance that can grow my confidence.


Q: In that case, it seems like being able to participate fully in the 4th tour was a positive factor for you too.


Yes, I felt that too. In addition to the songs that I originally participated in, I also filled in the positions of the graduated seniors, so I feel like I’m slowly making up for the time I took off. I realized once again that I can best express myself when I’m dancing in concerts, and I feel excited when I’m performing.


Q: In addition to your sharp dancing, Endo-san’s visuals also has a "K-Pop" feel to it.


I've been getting more and more comments like that from fans as well. When I first joined the group, I sometimes felt jealous of my genmates who had the “Sakamichi face” that just screamed “I’m an idol!”. But when I thought about what my uniqueness is during my hiatus, I started to see that maybe I should lean into my exotic side. Then, the staff and fans told me that it suited me well, so I think it was worthwhile to take a fresh look at myself. The fact that I’ve become able to see things that I previously viewed as negative in a positive way now made me feel that maybe I’ve grown a little.


Q: It’s been more than six months since you’ve returned. How do you feel about that, and how is your relationship with your genmates now?


When I was taking a break, Matsuda Rina always said “We are waiting for [her] to return” in the MC sessions in each concert, and that made me really happy… It made me think, “So they haven’t forgotten me, I’m still a part of Sakurazaka46,” it was very reassuring. The group went through a period of significant growth, but the members stayed the same, in a good way. When I said “I will return to the group and resume my activities,” during the rehearsal for the 3rd ANNIVERSARY LIVE in ZOZO Marine Stadium, the 2nd generation members shouted “Welcome back~!” loudly. Nowadays, I don’t feel like there are boundaries between us or that we have different starting points, and I can feel the “bond” between us in the fact that we’re able to treat each other with mutual respect. Also, Sakurazaka’s 2nd gen has a unique atmosphere and vibe, after all (laughs). I still keep in touch with Nogizaka46’s Sato Rika-chan and Yumiki Nao-chan (her genmates from the Sakamichi Joint Audition), and we often ask each other about how we’re doing recently, and that often made me realize that each group’s color and each generation’s relationship are different. I think that each group’s differences are interesting.


Q: Yumiki-san has been in the spotlight for her unique personality and character, but as for Endo-san, I guess you want to be a strength for the group through your performance?


That’s right. That, and… The one thing I’m still hung up about is the fact that I’m the only 2nd generation member who hasn’t had the experience of being in a title song, so I’m determined to make up for that with my performance. Thankfully, I’ve been given the chance to perform consistently, like for festivals and in the “8th Single BACKS LIVE!!”, so I think that even a BACKS member could lead the group with our enthusiasm and energy during performances. I hope that I can go into the Tokyo Dome concert with those same positive thoughts and vibes.


Q: Considering that this would be your first time participating in a Tokyo Dome concert, what kind of scenery would you like to see?


I’m not sure if it’s okay to say it like this as a member of the group, but last time, it felt like we could only stand there because of our seniors. So this time, we can truly think that we stood there by our own effort, and I think that will change the group’s color a little bit from now on. I think it would be ideal if the group could enter a new stage, the next phase, being colored by each member.


Q: Before the 4th tour started, it seemed like Captain Matsuda gathered the members to ask about each member’s goal. What did Endo-san answer?


My feelings changed quite a lot after the tour, but what did I say again back then… Ah, I remember saying “Up until now, I’ve seen things differently than everyone else, so I want to be able to enjoy and appreciate things with the same enthusiasm.” Including the rehearsals, I spent two months being with everyone every day during the tour, and I felt that those days were very important to me. On the nights when we stayed overnight for the regional stops, I felt like I was able to talk openly with them again and tell them how I felt about everything, whether good and bad, so I felt like I have changed. In the past, I would’ve been hesitant and thought, "I wonder if it's okay to say that much, it's scary," but now that I'm a senior too, I've started to think, "I want to become someone who is necessary to Sakurazaka, I want to be someone who can say all sorts of things properly."


Q: With that in mind, please express your enthusiasm for the Tokyo Dome concert.


Last time, when the 1st and 2nd generation members were performing on stage and the 3rd gen members were watching them from the stands, I watched over them from backstage. There, I intended to approach the concert with an awareness of the strength I have, that is, of having a perspective that only I have, watching them as a spectator while being aware of everyone's enthusiasm and the atmosphere between them. Now, I want to make this into a concert that will show the good side of Sakurazaka in a visible way, so that not only Buddies, but also those who have heard of the group's reputation will say, "I'd like to check out Sakurazaka," or "I wonder what kind of group they are, what kind of members they have", and get people to pay attention to all of us, not just the members who appear on music programs.


----


Raw: kiryu

Translation; megidolaon

QC: tmi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugai Yuuka and the members' message to each other [Sugai Yuuka's Graduation Memorial Book] Part 1 / 2

Kobayashi Yui interview in Tokyo Calendar March 2024 edition

A Dreaming Girl (Tamura Hono interview with B.L.T graph vol 101 May 2024 edition)